TRON LEGACY Coin-op Cabinet Banner Replica

Yes, I'm using Adobe Illustrator, but bear in mind what you're seeing in the screen capture is how light is hitting the camera lens. The glow you see is due to how the marquee is lit from behind.

This will likely be printed on transparent lexan so you can adjust the glow by light bulb wattage rather than fake the glow in the artwork, which may not may not give the best results.

I am also using CMYK, because that tends to be the color used in the process I'm looking into. The alternative, I suppose, is silk screening. Also, don't forget that most films today are digitally adjusted for color saturation and lighting in post production.

your my hero Muttley , i love the old graphics. Found my Zaxxon graphic too

I used to collect and restore video games as well as make customs. Thankfully the arcade collectors are very preservation minded!

bringing that site up reminded me my stick and spinner need new graphics!

man, I've had to pare down my collection, arcade games are so BIG only got 3 games now, really had to figure my favs. Star Wars (HUO), Tron and a Ms Pac Cocktail. :D

Man, I am so loving the fact that the classic Tron game made it into the movie!!!!!

Am I seeing things or does the 'Legacy' marquee have a rectangle grid?
I mean the grid behind the lettering appears to be made up of rectangles and not perfect squares like the real marquee.
Could that account for the "N" looking different/taking up different space on your re-creation?

my original cabinet has PLENTY of signs of aging, HA! i had no idea that 2.0 had the arcade cabinet... do you happen to have any screenshots?

I'll see if I can find a shots of the machine (I haven't had the game installed on my computer in a while).

I could indeed look into doing a run. We just have to agree on dimensions.

What I think would be cool is to match the dimensions of the real arcade game marquee exactly. That way, people that actually have the game could replace the marquee with a 'movie version' if they want...

Am I seeing things or does the 'Legacy' marquee have a rectangle grid?

That could just be due to the video playback. Sometimes video is improperly displayed and creates a slight 'squish' to the picture... That might be all it is. If that's the case, and we assume the grid is square, the image should probably be resized to make them square to get a good representation of it...

Another thing I'd be curious about: How expensive/difficult would it be to silk-screen this onto glass? The real game marquee is printed on tempered glass (I assume with a silk-screening type process), it would be cool to make it the same way... Might make it too expensive though, not sure... Seems like the only difference would be the cost of the glass, but there might be more involved...

Arcade collectors might also be interested in this, if you need numbers to make a run feasible, you might post around some of the vintage arcade boards too... :cool

Rik

my original cabinet has PLENTY of signs of aging, HA! i had no idea that 2.0 had the arcade cabinet... do you happen to have any screenshots?
I'll see if I can find a shots of the machine (I haven't had the game installed on my computer in a while).

I actually love the 2.0 game, and always have it installed on my computer. I'm even going to play all the way through it again before the movie! It's sort of an entire movie sequel itself... :rolleyes The story is a little iffy at times, but I still think it's one of the coolest looking FPS games ever made.

Can you 'Print screen' inside a game like that? Not sure of the best way to get some screen shots, but I can try tonight. I think the game is only visible during a couple of cut scenes, so I might even be able to find those clips and isolate them... Probably bink files or something...

d_osborn- I couldn't find any screenshots, but I do have a YouTube clip of the opening sequence to the game, which includes a shot of the original arcade game cabinet (a good shot of it is at 47 seconds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3QkT_rybqo

Rik1138- As far as I know, you can print screen in any game. I could very well be wrong of course. But I agree, the game is great (and is canon to the first film, as Steven Lisberger signed off on the game and was the creative consultant. They even got Syd Mead, who designed the original Lightcycles, to design the game's "Super Lightcycle" that is used by Jet).

It's possible that the grid of the Legacy version is not a perfect grid. Back in the old days, this stuff was done by hand, and people used rulers.

Noawadays we have tools like Adobe Illustrator running on a computer that bring things to near perfection.

It's possible that the propmaker made the grid uneven on purpose, to create that "20 years ago" look. If so, this doesn't overlay properly at all with the MIDWAY art, although it didn't to begin with.

I just viewed the HD version of the trailer and zoomed in, and noticed that the black particles are darker than the grid background, suggesting again that the dirt was not part of the original artwork.

I don't know if the unevenness of the grid lines is due to inaccurate video compression, lens distortion, or what-not, but I'll humor you...

First, to the best of my abilities, I will try to correct the perspective of the marquee:

perspective_study_1.jpg

The shot above is a perfect grid overlaying the marquee, showing that the marquee grid appears uneven, at least in the screenshot. Those just tuning in, please bear in mind that this is NOT an exact science. It does not take into account movie camera lens distortion, etc.

Next, I have completely redone the grid to match my simulation above.

perspective_study_2.jpg

I've remastered the ENCOM logo yet one more time. Because the right of the image was farther from the movie camera and the image was dimmed and more blurry, I will allow for a certain margin of error.

The "TRON" lettering has also been retraced. I'll work on the drop shadow, bevels, etc. later.

So now, I will try to take my "organic" grid attempt and overlay the screen capture:

perspective_study_3.jpg

What's interesting is that this simulation is more accurate than all previous iterations, with some margin of error of a fraction of a milimeter here or there.

So what do you guys think? Organic version or idealized version?

Yes, I'm using Adobe Illustrator, but bear in mind what you're seeing in the screen capture is how light is hitting the camera lens. The glow you see is due to how the marquee is lit from behind.

This will likely be printed on transparent lexan so you can adjust the glow by light bulb wattage rather than fake the glow in the artwork, which may not may not give the best results.

I am also using CMYK, because that tends to be the color used in the process I'm looking into. The alternative, I suppose, is silk screening. Also, don't forget that most films today are digitally adjusted for color saturation and lighting in post production.

It looks great . Silk screening wouldn't be the answer for a low run. I am sure there are some print shops out there that will print it on lexan for you. Not sure of the cost because I have printed on acetate before but nothing that is sold like lexan.
I want to get one either way for my TRON collection depending on cost.

Rik1138- As far as I know, you can print screen in any game.

Cool, yep, that works. I couldn't quickly find a shot of the arcade game except the one I attached. I did find this one online though:
3.jpg

Now that I know where it is, I can get a bigger shot of it if anyone cares...

Turns out these cut scenes aren't video, but are actually rendered real-time by the game engine...

Cool, yep, that works. I couldn't quickly find a shot of the arcade game except the one I attached. I did find this one online though:
3.jpg

Now that I know where it is, I can get a bigger shot of it if anyone cares...

Turns out these cut scenes aren't video, but are actually rendered real-time by the game engine...

Yeah, I forgot about the security camera footage bit, too. If I recall correctly, Alan cannibalizes parts from the arcade machine in order to create a means of communication with Jet in the computer world. But yeah, you get a good shot of it at the start of the game too, where we are introduced to Jet after we are introduced to Thorne.

So what happened with this piece?? New to this fourm was directed here a few weeks back from another forum on arcade games KLOV.com where we/I was working on this same piece as well.
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=125030
Not to Hijack a thread but I do screenprinted Arcade part reproductions ThisOldGame.com
and currently screening this on glass matching all of the orginal Arcade versions specs size, thickness materials, etc. with this new Encom look.
And took a very similar aproach to recreating the art with the only excpetion being having the orginal Bally/Midway arcade Marquee version on hand.
From computer screen art to silkscreen art color seperations for screenprinting reverse side of glass and converting grayscales to halftones
ColorSepsFinal.jpg

IMG_4734B.jpg

I used to own the original video game, had an extra marquee so let me see if I still have it in storage to get measurements for you.

Moving forward on the screening I had to reshot the screen
and began screening these on glass as were the orginals and to the same Arcade dimensions so these can be used as drop in replacements.
IMG_4940b.jpg

IMG_4941b.jpg

IMG_4943b.jpg

IMG_4944b.jpg

IMG_4946b.jpg

On a side side note the orginal Arcade maquees had Silver screened on the backside to help blockout the backlight because the black had to be thinned down to screen the halftone detail making it less opaque in the larger black areas, something Ill be adding as well.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back