Tron Legacy-Baton and Deluxe Disc

So the baton doesn't light up? :confused
Pardon my ignorance as I haven't seen the movie yet (yes, I know, I know!) but was the baton a prominant piece in the movie? I would just think it would light up so that it could be a display companion with the deluxe disk.
In the film, the buttons appear to be lit all the time. They are a dim white. When they are picked up by their users, they glow bright and change color (Orange for Clu and bright white for Sam). The end caps also glow around the edges (sort of an oval or hexagon) and probably act the same way.
They appear in more than one scene in the film, but are only featured prominently in one. They're given several closeups in that one scene, though, and they are very memorable (and damn cool) props. I want one. The toy is pretty insufficient... and, unfortunately, with the film's performance I doubt they'll release any kind of deluxe version.
I really enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It's very under-rated.

In the film, the buttons appear to be lit all the time. They are a dim white. When they are picked up by their users, they glow bright and change color (Orange for Clu and bright white for Sam). The end caps also glow around the edges (sort of an oval or hexagon) and probably act the same way.
They appear in more than one scene in the film, but are only featured prominently in one. They're given several closeups in that one scene, though, and they are very memorable (and damn cool) props. I want one. The toy is pretty insufficient... and, unfortunately, with the film's performance I doubt they'll release any kind of deluxe version.
I really enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It's very under-rated.

Sideshow is in the process of making both the baton, and hero discs from the original molds. On their website there is a preview video of both with the stand (prototypes of course) but they look cool.

Yes, but the lighting on the disc could be better - nexnox seems to pull it off greatly - the baton is the upgraded one from the original Tron, where the programs are using them as handle bars of the lightcycle race.

I'm currently working on making a baton. I have all the dimensions layed out and rough prelim sketches drawn. I will be completing the draft tomorrow to hopefully get the baton going by the weekend. I will be posting an interest thread in the junkyard as soon as I have the prototype done so keep your eyes peeled. Don't know if I should give it some electronic guts. I'm leaning towards YES (80%) because it wouldn't be "Grid compatible" if it didn't light up right? ha.

Regardless, just giving you guys a heads up so that you'll be ready for critique to better the prototype.

Cheers
MGF

Bringing this one back to life because I'm interested in a nice baton replica. I had seen the spin toys version but the oversized nature of it turned me off of it. Since then I have still been thinking about getting one just to fill my need for one.
Is there anymore word about the Sideshow versions that were discussed about in this thread?
metalgreyfox, did you ever complete your baton?

MGF
I'm also interested in hearing about your progress, if any.

At the very least, if your project is shelved could you toss your dimensional drawings up here? I've been debating starting my own Baton build and I haven't been able to find a whole lot of sizing information.

I'm at the point where I might just start taking dimensonal information from screen-caps of people holding them and inferring from there. Not a terribly accurate method, but it's what I've got.

I keep looking at the SpinMaster baton and thinking if I will regret getting one, but the lack of having a baton in my collection is going to force my hand on this one.

I'm in for the Sideshow replicas but I haven't seen anything on them other than the video with a tiny bit of info on it.

Edit:

I just found this in the Sideshow Q&A section, but its from way back in July

Monday, June 13th, 2011

Is the Sam Flynn Light Disc still going to be produced? We saw a short video on the production blog a while ago and nothing since. Can you let us know if it’s still coming, and when it might be available for pre-order?

We are in fact developing lots of Tron Legacy products. Not only the Sam Flynn Light Disc set, but also a 1:4 scale Lightcycle and an as-of-yet-unannounced 1:4 scale villain too. Because the light features are so essential to Tron, we need additional time to work out all of the engineering and functionality on our products before they are ready for their big reveal. We may be able to show some of them at San Diego Comic-Con, or perhaps soon after the show.

Last edited:
The Rinzler figure and the lightcycle are both up for presale at Sideshow. I ordered the light cycle. Unless things go bad I'm guessing they believe the disc and baton would really sell even better than the first 2. The wait to see is tough since I really liked the discs.

A bonus in design for the sideshow piece would be if the replicas came with rechargeable batteries and the display base acted at a powersource/recharge station for them.

The Rinzler figure and the lightcycle are both up for presale at Sideshow. I ordered the light cycle. Unless things go bad I'm guessing they believe the disc and baton would really sell even better than the first 2. The wait to see is tough since I really liked the discs.
Please post up some pics of that monster when you get it!

Last edited:
OT - Does anyone have "The Art of Tron Legacy" book to sell me?

Back OT - I'll wait for the Sideshow baton/disc set because I want the full sized items.

I'm still waiting on something to come about for this product line. Seems everything is on hold or pushed back.

I need these!!

TronLegacyRinzlerSideshowMaquette.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back