Clu's Baoding Balls/Controlling Orbs (Tron Legacy) - Advice wanted

AtomoWorkshop

Hey all,

This is my first post ever so sorry if I mess up somehow.

I am putting together a small prop, Clu's Baoding Balls from Tron Legacy, and would like some advice if anyone has done this before or something similar. So far I have found this thread Clu gravity balls (prototype) which has answered some questions, such as the size, but has left some info to be desired. For example I am not sure yet what is best for electronics, I know to start in order to just get something tangible I will use some basic stuff like an LED strip running off a small battery.

But in the long run I would like something a bit more high quality, maybe with motion detection, and a rechargeable battery would be nice. For when it comes to that, does anyone have any recommendations for small boards that pack a lot of features in about a maxmium 36mm space? Smaller the better obviously. My biggest desires are built in charging for a battery and neopixel control so I don't have to have a seperate thing to charge it and then with neopixels I can change things as I wish and maybe have some lighting effects.

If there is any interest in this as well I will happily update as I make progress on this. I already have someone working on the metal hemispheres and I have whipped up a design for diffusing the lights and allowing a snap fit at the same time.

TronCluBalls.jpg

The black hemispheres are 2mm stamped Aluminium I had done by a guy who does metal commissions. The centres are currently 3D prints that I designed and need sanding still but are thin enough that LEDs shine through.

Hey all,

This is my first post ever so sorry if I mess up somehow.

I am putting together a small prop, Clu's Baoding Balls from Tron Legacy, and would like some advice if anyone has done this before or something similar. So far I have found this thread Clu gravity balls (prototype) which has answered some questions, such as the size, but has left some info to be desired. For example I am not sure yet what is best for electronics, I know to start in order to just get something tangible I will use some basic stuff like an LED strip running off a small battery.

But in the long run I would like something a bit more high quality, maybe with motion detection, and a rechargeable battery would be nice. For when it comes to that, does anyone have any recommendations for small boards that pack a lot of features in about a maxmium 36mm space? Smaller the better obviously. My biggest desires are built in charging for a battery and neopixel control so I don't have to have a seperate thing to charge it and then with neopixels I can change things as I wish and maybe have some lighting effects.

If there is any interest in this as well I will happily update as I make progress on this. I already have someone working on the metal hemispheres and I have whipped up a design for diffusing the lights and allowing a snap fit at the same time.

View attachment 1484712
Can’t help with any of the intricacies but I’m very interested in this thread. Always let like these were an overlooked prop from the film. When making them you’d also like to try and keep them as balanced as possible so they would roll smoothly, rather than being weirdly weighted.

You might look at laser cut orange edge lit acrylic for those centers. A single LED in each ball would work to light them.

1654698392604.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back