Tron Legacy Anon costume for 4 year old - FINISHED

Re: Tron Legacy Anon costume for 4 year old - WIP

Wow, watching this. I wish I my dad would've made me such an awesome costume. Great work so far!

lol come on man, you post the progress dual strips in the other forum an not here!? lameeee lol jk, dood, tactic you used for that bends, i need to know lol sorry did you connected parallel or one vertical connetion. Or was it one strip that you simply cut the curves into it making it appear to bend/curve. I'm still having trouble visualizing 1.5 in strip on 30lb kid lol, your throwin off a lot of people in the "TL costume planning" area lol

Last edited:

How big and wide are the anti-slip sheets?

The sheets are 18"x48"

The 1.5" strip is cut to a curve, since the narrow EL strip would bow out trying to match a compound curve.
The curved strip is spliced off the main one with duct tape and wire which works unless you move a lot. The staple method didn't work for me. Any intermittent connection would cause arcing and burn on the conductive strip under the wire. I'm going to try window defroster repair kit to glue the wire down under the duct tape.
If I can't get a reliable connection, I may have to simplify the arm and leg lights to minimize the bends.

Here's some progress:
Got the collar formed and glued in.
DSC02501.jpg

The disc holder riveted on the back. The (2) 4" knockout plug are screwed back to back, while the 3 inverters are housed inside.
DSC02497.jpg

Here's where I put the battery for now. I don't like the big gap behind the shoulders and the costume. I need to figure a way to fill the space with a smooth transition.
DSC02498.jpg

I'm going to glue the shoulder, arm and leg panels directly to the under garments. That should keep it from slipping and it's easier than having velcroed elastic bands everywhere.

Very cool progress!! Keep up the great work, can't wait to see the finished project! I'm sure he will be amazed!

So I tried folding the el tape to get some angles:
IMAG0948.jpg

IMAG0949.jpg

IMAG0956.jpg

It looked like it was working great until I glued the panels in place and a sharp crease caused a portion of the strip to short out. So I had to tear it out and redo with a simpler one with only one bend on each side.

I got the upper body almost complete, with the hip panels done.
It just needs a little reflective tape for the front.

IMAG0963.jpg

IMAG0961.jpg

The legs come next, and I am doing the dual baton battery packs. The LI-Ion pack is just too bulky to fit under the costume.

Last edited:

This is looking slick! I bet your kid will be the popular kid at school for awhile after this.

Where did you procure your EL tape from?

-Arcko

I am creating a Rinzler cosplay. I am extremely excited! I hope to have it ready in time for DragonCon so I can go with my boyfriend's father (who is cosplaying old Flynn) but I don't think I'll have it ready in time. :confused

SDCC coming fast! Oh what a joy to have a dad that will take you there...and in costume.

lucky kid, best dad

My father took me to my first con. Well, more of dropped me off. It was still loads of fun though :) I was dressed as Lara Croft as my first cosplay. He attended later, but didn't find con too interesting. Then, he attended Dragon Con with me a long while ago, and he decided to take my little sister (Age 8).
All of a sudden, she disappears. Now, being a parent, that is an extremely alarming event. He had left her out in the open while he went to the bathroom, came back, and she was gone. I ran through four hotels, 27 flights of stairs, and 4 escalators until I found her, right behind my father, sitting in a hallway, looking as lost as can be. My father felt so stupid after that. We had the security involved and everything.

My father doesn't like con that much sadly.

Twinight, thank you for being so open minded and accepting. I know some people at cons are..... well lets face it... weirdos, but not everyone is like that. I think that taking your son to a convention is a wonderful thing. It shows him that even when you get older, its okay to be wacky and creative.
I hope your costume comes out just the way you want it to.
~(>^.^)>~ MsCalicoAngel

The foam liner comes in 18x48 sheets, The El tape is from glow hut and has a blueish tint to it. The disk is a modded deluxe disk from target.

I've never been to comic con myself. I'm going just to have fun wearing costumes and I know my kid would get a kick out it too. I'm not interested in sitting hours in line to see celebrities. But who knows, I might be in for 6 hours of "I'm tired, I don't want to wear this anymore, I want to go home....... Next year I might convince my wife to go.

I started making the baton battery holders. I scored a place mat and folded it into a baton shaped tub which the battery holder would slide into. Then I shaped some wood plugs for the end to give the tube the correct profile.

IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0984.jpg

IMAG0986.jpg

IMAG0989.jpg

I also finished the arms with the lighting. The panels are incorrectly scaled and are not accurate, but since It's glued to the undershirt, I'm just improvising.

IMG_0006-4.jpg

IMG_0002-8.jpg

IMG_0003-6.jpg

IMG_0002-7.jpg

Here's a video:
http://youtu.be/XxQWKm4Z-QA

Now all I got left is the leg panels and lighting. And if I have time, a helmet.

Last edited:

Still "wowing" here over this build!

As I work on my Anon I have decided not to light the body, it's going to be too expensive (Australia is annoyingly expensive for some of the materials needed) I think reflective tape for body and maybe light up the helmet.

Last edited:

It looks awesome! How did you get the panels to glow like that? (on and off)

I laughed at Step 1: wrap kid in duct tape haha...this looks awesome...I can't imagine a cooler present if I were a kid

Re: Tron Legacy Anon costume for 4 year old - WIP (helmet progress)

The inverter has a fader/blink module from Glowsticks/ Electroluminescent Lighting/ EL Wire/ Glow Neon Lights
Hopefully it will extend battery life as well.

I spent the last 2 days assembling the pep helmet. I scaled it down 80% and it barely goes around his ears. I just roto-casted some smooth-on casting resin on the inside and it soaked right trough the card stock. So that saves me the trouble of doing the outside. It's still flexible, so tonight I will add the lighting and and a layer of foam on the outside as the finished surface. I will cut out the faceplate and replace with a tinted motorcycle visor that I heat molded to approximate the shape. The compound curve isn't as pronounced as the pep model, but it's close enough to fit.

Here are the pics.
IMAG1003.jpg

IMAG0998.jpg

DSC02550.jpg

DSC02545.jpg

DSC02551.jpg

IMAG0994.jpg

DSC02430.jpg

"This better be worth it"

Re: Tron Legacy Anon costume for 4 year old - Helmet completed

Finished the helmet tonight.
After the resin cured, started layering the foam on the helmet with hot glue. I had to stretch the foam to get it to conform to the compound curves.
DSC02555.jpg

After the skull cap was glued, I trimmed the edges using the pep lines.
The face plate was cut and I added some foam to the interior until it sat snug on my son's head, making sure his vision isn't obscured.
A bit of trimming and curving of the tinted visor and it was riveted onto the helmet.
Then i proceeded to glue on the remaining pieces and finished it with some reflective tape.
DSC02557.jpg

DSC02566.jpg

DSC02565-1.jpg

DSC02564.jpg

DSC02563.jpg

This is just really, really cool. Can't wait to see a pic of the two of you together in your suits!

I have a feeling that all the girls will want to take pictures with him and I'll be left holding the camera. :lol
I've been following your awesome iron man build too indie. Great work. Don't you enjoy working with a smaller scale?

Thanks to Vagabond for creating the pep file. It was a bit more detailed than what I needed, but it was the only one avaliable.
Not bad for 3 days of work compared to the rest of the costume.
DSC02567.jpg

Last edited:

I shouldn't be so jealous at the quality of costume for a four-year-old!

Can't wait to see your kid's completed costume.

Brilliant work on the helmet, hmmmm maybe I should do foam as well instead of bondo, sand sand sand paint paint polish polish polish :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back