Transformers Movie - Universal Studios Singapore Costumes

I visit this forum often, but never seem to have a reason to post anything. Until now anyway. We just completed a set of walk-around costumes for Universal Studios Singapore to go with their opening of the Transformers ride. I thought I would post a few photos now that they are out in the open. My team did a great job on these so I wanted to show them off a bit.

Bumblebeefitting-11-0409-M.jpg

DSC09604-M.jpg

IMG1018-M.jpg

IMG0935-M.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Charles
Very detailed! Do you have any other pictures other than these HDR looking one's?

Charles,
Excellent work, a truly amazing job! You guys really pulled it off and at only 85 pounds, that's really impressive. Your tooling process must have been lots of fun with as much detail as you put into them. The kids in Singapore are going to go nuts! I work for Garner Holt Productions and we did some figures for that park a couple years ago so I know the kind of hard work you guys had to put into it. Hopefully when they open the ride down here you will get to do a set for Hollywood! Lots of props and respect from southern California!

The mobility is very good. I will say that we have trained professional stilt walkers in them, and those guys really bring them to life and get around real well.

Unfortunately these are only at the Universal park in Singapore. I can't confirm when or if the Hollywood Universal will get them yet.

A few interesting notes;
Optimus Prime is just over 9 feet tall, Bumblebee is just over 7 feet
Each costume weighs less than 85 lbs.
Both costumes are made of carbon fiber
The actual ILM digital animation models were used to CNC the patterns (especially Bumblebee)
Used the same automotive paints that were used on the film cars.

Thanks for all the comments! Our team worked hard on these, and it was a different kind of challenge for us. We normally don't create these type of characters.

Charles

Incredible builds. You guys rocked it, big time! :eek

Fantastic work by your shop! I LOVE the detailed weathering and damage the suits have. It's wonderfully inspiring - thanks for sharing! :):thumbsup

As someone who's made Transformers costumes, that is amazing. I hope your actors can wear it for long periods of time. I also hope you're making some for the California version. I will totally take pictures of them, then try to take them home.

Bumblebee's knees seem kind of odd.

That is absolutely amazing! Unreal! Charles...I realize some of the production techniques may be considered proprietary...but I am curious about the process and would love to know more in general about how CNC connects to carbon fiber? What did you CNC? And did you do so in 3d! Also, how does it relate to carbon fiber? Can you share anything about the process you went through? It was no doubt extensive!
Thanks,
Mike

That is absolutely amazing! Unreal! Charles...I realize some of the production techniques may be considered proprietary...but I am curious about the process and would love to know more in general about how CNC connects to carbon fiber? What did you CNC? And did you do so in 3d! Also, how does it relate to carbon fiber? Can you share anything about the process you went through? It was no doubt extensive!
Thanks,
Mike

The short version. Starting with a 3d digital file provided by Hasbro, the computer controlled milling process is done with a urethane foam, then that foam is hand tooled to clean it up a bit more. Next a fiberglass mold is made from the foam patterns. In that fiberglass mold carbon fiber is laid up (much like fiberglass) to make the finished part. Then that part gets another level of body work done to it.

It takes about 20 weeks start to finish, but that's also juggling it with other jobs.

Charles

Thanks for sharing! That just makes the finished product that much more appreciably awesome!

I didn't know you could run a CNC against foam, but it makes sense. How many pieces did you mold? I can only imagine it must have been a lot! (unless there's some movie magic at play?). Absolutely stunning. Thanks again for sharing this!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! That just makes the finished product that much more appreciably awesome!

I didn't know you could run a CNC against foam, but it makes sense. How many pieces did you mold? I can only imagine it must have been a lot! (unless there's some movie magic at play?). Absolutely stunning. Thanks again for sharing this!

You can CNC almost any firm material, It's all about tooling. There are about 18 to 20 multi-peice molds for each character.

Charles

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back