Transformers 3 Dark of the Moon Movie Review *spoilers*

SVTStingRay

Sr Member
just came back from seeing it in 3d. movie was the best of the 3 but thats not saying much. seems kind of a ending, dont know how they could make any sequels but im sure they could come up with something. couple of things to note.
bay slowed down his quick-editing (because of the 3d nature) so now the film has a better pace and is more closes mimics the films of cameron.
buzz aldrin appears. bay re-used several scenes from "the island" highway chase for some reason. leonard nimoy says "needs of the many outway the needs of the few".

movie was the best of the 3

That is ALL I wanted to hear! Won't read more until I have seen it this weekend!:thumbsup

Can't wait to see this:
attachment.php

I got tickets for this Friday, looking forward to a fun popcorn flick and checking back here in a few days.

I just got back from seeing the first show 9pm in IMAX 3D. Below is my review!

Let's just start out first by saying.... if you hated #1 or #2, you have no reason to read on because you'll hate #3, period. This is for the folks who enjoyed these movies "overall".

This might be a bit all over the place, but here it goes...

I LOVE #1. #2 I liked and had to let it grow on me, but it's a fun movie (just so you know where I stand on the others)

Transformers 3....D (minor spoilers, but will try to not be too descriptive so it doesn't ruin it)

When the credits rolled lots of people were clapping. I wasn't, and I'll tell ya why. It clicked after about 3/4 the way through to me that I really got the impression that the children's cartoon seemed to take itself more seriously than this movie did (well and #2 for that matter). I'll just get out of the way that I LOVE COMEDY, I truly do and live for it, but there's a time and place for it depending on the film. I felt like at times in the midst of tragedy happening they manage to slip in a funny part. It doesn't really lighten the mood too much, but more is like a Seth Meyers "REALLY?!" moments. The funny stuff really waters down and diminishes the movie and actually slows its pace down.

In all I felt the movie was longer than it could have been. There wasn't an excellent flow to where you felt there was a good build leading to a big climax, and there wasn't much time for a resolution as it ended rather fast.

The beginning was cool. I really liked the Apollo mission setup and all that tie-in was really interesting to me.

The action scenes are pretty darn amazing. Visually VERY well executed with great detail, and the robots were a bit easier to see during battles, but still chaotic, but not as bad being able to see them. At times the action broken up in the intensity by some humor and maybe that was what made the sequences seem a bit laboring to watch was from how broken it was.

Yes, Prime is probably at his best in this film in terms of bad-a__ness. He had a line that really bugged me a but that didn't feel was in his character. "You'll all die!" Yeah the Decepticons were up to nasty stuff, but I just couldn't picture Optimus saying that. He's more a peacemaker and defender of the Autobots. I've never heard him directly flat out say, in effect, that he'd kill 'em all. He'd at least say something on a positive note, wouldn't he?

Shockwave... His name was said multiple times. He had very few lines. The face somewhat resembled him. That's it. Other than that there was no character development for him. Just a bad guy named Shockwave with mass destructive weaponry. Kinda bummer there.

Soundwave, not much with him either.

The character development element in this movie lacked. I didn't feel as emotionally connected to the bots as I did in the first one. You really get a sense of who they are personally through the first one. The second and this one they just seem more like "Here we are, and we're not saying much of anything with meaning, but we're kicking some butt and that's what you wanna see!"

The music was awesome as usual. Love Steve Jablonsky's score of all 3 films and will definitely be picking this score up.

"The humping robot".... okay he didn't hump anything in this film, but he also certainly wasn't needed. I think they were more a disruption than an asset to the film. Could have done without.

Megan Fox gone.... Didn't miss her at all. The new gal was actually fine. Not very annoying and she didn't make the movie better or worse. At the same time you really didn't get to know her extremely well.

Leonard Nimoy as Sentinel Prime, pretty cool! They didn't go too too deep into him, so I never really felt any sort of emotional attachment to that character, but from what happens later in the film I guess that's not necessary, haha!

Sam's Parents... Okay they have good comedic chemistry together, but I think they've overstayed their welcome in the film. That could have been eliminated.

And why Agent Simmons is still involved I don't know. Some of these characters shoudn't have carried over through 2 more films from the first one. He wasn't horrible, but he just seemed like another comedic relief element.

More comedians in the film.... Ken Jeong and another guy I recognize, but don't recall the name was in it, and that seemed very over the top in terms of comedy element, which goes back to what I was saying earlier in that the cartoon I think treated the property more seriously than the movies have over time. The first film was acceptable, but they REALLY laid the humor on thick in #2 and #3 in my opinion. Like is this all now a big joke or something to you, Mr. Bay?

The 3D... Not necessary. I saw it in IMAX and the sound was great, but the 3D didn't really enhance the experience much, and if I had to see it again it would be without the 3D honestly.

My thoughts on Bay... I like most all him films he's done (minus Pearl Harbor), and I love what he did with the first Transformers film, but I'm ready to see someone else take this property over and maybe give us a really good film that's not only fun, but more engaging and flows better. I'm pretty well done with Michael Bay's interpretation of Transformers and think someone else could do it better moving forward. At least there's no "enemy scrotum" this go around, phew!

Overall I have to say this film was fun to watch, but I don't give it an excitingly high response. It was cool to see the Transformers back again.

I'd give my initial reaction a 2.5 out of 5. I didn't know what I'd be walking in expecting, and I left not entirely knowing how to feel, which generally isn't the best sign, but it was an enthusiastic OK! I wasn't completely disappointed, but I wasn't entirely happy either.

I'm a bit tired of the goofy humor throughout these films that has transpired. The property could be strong on its own and doesn't need a force feed every so often of jokes. Was it dark? Yeah, but certainly wasn't "The Empire Strikes Back" of Transformers. The end was actually pretty abrupt too and boom it's done. Oh ok! Also make sure to stay for 15-20 seconds after the credits start and you'll be treated to an eye-rolling snippet of a humorous scene that would have been better left not seen!

Last edited:
Since there's spoilers allowed...

Few things to note.

1. I nearly wept at Iron Hide, and that old grandfatherly autobot really was depressing.

2. If thats how Sentinal was going to play it, why not just take the thing of command?

3. Why/how did Optimus lie to Sam when he was wearing the watch?

4. Really? Thats how they were going to end it with the 2 micro-bots? I didn't stay for the credits, since i was in a large group, but googling, I was expecting to hear about a scene where something more was going to happen with them.

5. I really don't see why after 2 other movies of constant war with Megatron, Optimus, ONE HANDED, was able to kill him. The line about "kill them all" really didn't seem out of place to me. Optimus screwed up for humanity, and he wanted to make it right.

6. No where near enough resistance from the humans. Yes, I expected the decepticons to wipe the floor with us, but outside of the few helicopters, we couldn't spare any tanks?!

Still awesome movie, especially as I live like 15 minutes from Chicago. ^_^

EDIT: One thing I really noticed, was that several auto-bots from the last movie are now gone (Dead?), and that while the last 2 movies had more close up/character building, this one really only had Optimus with any sort of character. The others were just extras.

Last edited:
I saw it yesterday afternoon. Imax 3D. Pretty good film overall.
Visulaly impressive for sure. Story and acting, not so much.

Not sure why everyone was raving over the 3D part. I didn't see
to much of it that was worth getting excited over.

I wanna know what is it with the autobot with human hair? Why?

Also, I am, not sure who he even was but what was with the old
Zombie looking autobot? Wa this the one they tried to make look
human? It was freaky looking as hell. Yes, the one with the white
hair.

Going to see it again this weekend in a regular format. The 3D one
was just a waist of $14.00 for me. The glasses fit so tight I went out of
there with a head ache so it was kind of hard to enjoy the movie.

Second viewings always seem much better anyways. :)

I saw it last night. I really enjoyed it. It was nice to see Optimus with his trailer. It was fairly close to the old G1 design. I'm sure the haters will still hate, but I thought it was fun.

Sweet

I saw it last night too. Overall, I liked it. Not sure if I liked it better than the other 2 though. I did have a few problems with it.

1. Since when to autobots grow hair? That was really lame.
2. The chinese guy from The Hangover... ok, what was his deal? I hated his whole character and his goofy antics were just rediculous. Could have done without him.
3. Hated the whole scene with Malkovich wanting to see an autobot. Another scene that should have been cut out.
4. All the new autobots who appear and have no character development. Why did the Ferrari autobot have to have an italian accent? We all know it's an Italian car, but I doubt they have Italians on Cybertron. STUPID! Why did the Einstein robot have to look like einstein? Just rediculous.
5. Sam wigging out the first 1/4 of the movie, someone take the red bull away from him.
6. Wheelies little hairy friend. Hated him. I guess they took the place of the Twins from the second movie.
7. The 3D... ok, Harry Knowles really hyped it up saying it was better than Avatars 3d..I was really looking foward to that.I wasn't impressed , not once. In fact It really didn't seem 3d at times. I saw it on an Imax screen as well.
8. The robot designs for the race cars, Hated them. Too bulky looking.
9. Simmon's assistant, the guy from firefly, what was his deal? One minute he's talking like a German Gay guy, then no accent, then the accent, he was all over the place. Didn't care for him either.
10. Just too much going on in this movie. In fact after writing my review, I'm starting to not like the movie so much.
11. Can't understand what half the transformers are saying half the time.

Also, I am, not sure who he even was but what was with the old
Zombie looking autobot? Wa this the one they tried to make look
human? It was freaky looking as hell. Yes, the one with the white
hair.

That ones wheeljack, I don't remember him previously having the weird whispery hair that him/Brains had. Though I suppose it was an attempt to make him seem more "Einsteiny". That being said, the twins in the last movie had gold teeth :p

4. All the new autobots who appear and have no character development. Why did the Ferrari autobot have to have an italian accent? We all know it's an Italian car, but I doubt they have Italians on Cybertron. STUPID! Why did the Einstein robot have to look like einstein? Just rediculous.

Ferrari bot was...Mirage? I think. Similar to Jazz sounding like a gangster or whatever, they wanted him to seem mysterious, and could easily excuse it the same way Jazz did.

My main dislike, was that none of the autobots like you said, had any character development at all. In the last movie, they added the twins/RCs(I think that was the motorcycles name?)/Sideswipe, and they all had a bit of screentime/minor bit of character development. The new guys, outside the minor bit with Wheelsjack, had no development. I mean, even the old guys had very little role. The more I think of it, I'm slightly confused how little role everyone had, and yet it was 2 and ahalf hours :p

With Nest doing absolutely nothing for the most part, and none/next to none of the autobots getting screentime, it's odd it was that long.

I saw it last night too. Overall, I liked it. Not sure if I liked it better than the other 2 though. I did have a few problems with it.

1. Since when to autobots grow hair? That was really lame.
2. The chinese guy from The Hangover... ok, what was his deal? I hated his whole character and his goofy antics were just rediculous. Could have done without him.
3. Hated the whole scene with Malkovich wanting to see an autobot. Another scene that should have been cut out.
5. Sam wigging out the first 1/4 of the movie, someone take the red bull away from him.
6. Wheelies little hairy friend. Hated him. I guess they took the place of the Twins from the second movie.
7. The 3D... ok, Harry Knowles really hyped it up saying it was better than Avatars 3d..I was really looking foward to that.I wasn't impressed , not once. In fact It really didn't seem 3d at times. I saw it on an Imax screen as well.
8. The robot designs for the race cars, Hated them. Too bulky looking.
9. Simmon's assistant, the guy from firefly, what was his deal? One minute he's talking like a German Gay guy, then no accent, then the accent, he was all over the place. Didn't care for him either.
10. Just too much going on in this movie. In fact after writing my review, I'm starting to not like the movie so much.
11. Can't understand what half the transformers are saying half the time.

I 100% agree with Steve on this.

Also how about giving us more than 3 decepticons that we heard of! It was nothing but meaningless drones & flying mother ships they were fighting...very anti-climatic!

I tried to like this movie so much...I was really disappointed.

I really enjoyed the first 2 films.

Robb

Liked the first one, the 2nd one I thought was horrible, this one is inbetween.

Way too long, after leaving the theater my daughter and I had massive headaches and that was watching the 2D. Not sure if the cause was from trying to figure out the convoluted plot full off holes or yet again being repeated hit up side the head with the stupid attempts at dumbed down humor. Movie was seriously derailed by needless stupid characters being used for forced comedy that just took you out of the movie. Like streetjudge said, the chinese guy, the assistant, malcovich, the sector seven agent, they were all way too cartoonish and not needed. Maybe they were used to distract you from the dumb plot.

Lets see, they didn't want the humans to see what they were up to so the decepticons decide to set up operations in one of the biggest cities in America instead of maybe out in the desert somewhere or say the north pole.

What was the goal exactly, to bring cybertron to earth so they could use the humans to rebuild their world, ummm yeah ok.

Why was it the autobots needed to be launched away on the shuttle when they had their own vehicle, you know the one they used to go get the sentinal from the moon.

Speaking of the moon, when the autobots did go there to the crashed ship, why exactly was the apollo 11 lander still sitting there complete?? All that should have been left was the engine bell housing, not the whole lander. That means Buzz never got off the moon. It took me right out of the movie just like in the 2nd when they crashed through the washington DC smithsonian and end up out in the desert.

I am sure there are more things wrong but my head still hurts.

http://brandonfibbs.com/2011/07/01/transformers-dark-of-the-moon/

Last edited:
I thought I only saw the base of it, the leg part that stays on the moon. I will have to keep an eye out for when I see it again.

Naw, they pan by the whole thing as they follow the Autobots left-to-right. Even the American flag is still standing up straight even though it should have been knocked over (or mostly knocked over, depending on who you believe) when the ascent stage went up.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back