TR-595E Custom Tricorder

Took a break from Fusion to start working on the electronics for the project. I did a bunch of research (Thanks for the advice MangyDog!) and settled on a Pi Pico to run the display using TFT_eSPI. Here's a demo file I got working tonight:

My camera doesn't really show it, but the animation is very smooth. It also boots up VERY quickly. Now that I have my dev board up and running, I'm going to sketch out some displays and try to build them on the Pico. I was originally going to go with a single animation, but now that I have an idea of what I'm doing I don't think it'll be a big deal to add extra scanning modes to it.
Sorry I don´t get it. How do I wire an ili9341 TFT 2.2" touch display to the Pi Pico using TFT_eSPI ? Is there a Fritzing wiring Diagram ?
I use Arduino IDE witth this library GitHub - earlephilhower/arduino-pico: Raspberry Pi Pico Arduino core, for all RP2040 boards Testing Adafruit GFX Library is working.

Please help.

Sorry I don´t get it. How do I wire an ili9341 TFT 2.2" touch display to the Pi Pico using TFT_eSPI ? Is there a Fritzing wiring Diagram ?
I use Arduino IDE witth this library GitHub - earlephilhower/arduino-pico: Raspberry Pi Pico Arduino core, for all RP2040 boards Testing Adafruit GFX Library is working.

Please help.

I used one of these as the display- I'll have to dig out my notes but I can get you the pinouts to wire it directly to the pico. The adafruit displays are a bit hard to come by right now unfortunately but I'm pretty sure you can use the same pinouts on something similar.

I used one of these as the display- I'll have to dig out my notes but I can get you the pinouts to wire it directly to the pico. The adafruit displays are a bit hard to come by right now unfortunately but I'm pretty sure you can use the same pinouts on something similar.
Wow. I didn't know you can use a touch-screen. That would be great too because, the Pico can then be programmed to do sounds based on flap openings and screen taps.

Yes, it was hard to get from Adafruit and so, I got an alternative weeks ago. I just was about to ask on the wiring diagrams too. Hee hee. Anyway, the alternative screen, I think, is shorter length-wise by 5mm. Technically, it is 2.2", but then, I don't know much about LCD screens or if there was a standard to their size.

Right now, I'm kinda slowing down a bit since I was let go on Thursday. Sigh.

gPH_AAcVrafjZqm-aPVSiuOdBc90GJ-TtoFk3_iQgPyg=w2400.jpg

Thank you for the vid. Now I know, I can use the Pico.

It works with Arduino IDE. Don´t forget to load the empty template to the brand new Pico first. The Arduino IDE should recognise the USB port afterwards and you can start programming in C. I use the Adafruit GFX drivers to test the ILI9341 TFT (Spare PINS are for SD-Card, not Touch, sri) to test it. But the pinout is different.

See next Post for Video

I use Playing Pico W With Arduino IDE for the WiFi scanner.

Pinout Adafruit GFX
Pico V3.3V > ILI9341 VCC
Pico GND > ILI9341 GND
Pico GP17 > ILI9341 CS
Pico GP 26 >ILI9341 Reset
Pico GP 27 > ILI9341 D / C / RS
Pico GP 19 MOSI > ILI9341 SDI / MOSI
Pico GP 18 SCK > ILI9341 SCK
Pico GP 28 > ILI9341 LED
Pico GP 16 > ILI9341 MISO

Last edited:
@ Mr.Engineer
Is there chance to include the pcb´s in Arkys github repository ?
Not a problem.
It will take some time because I am doing v02 due to the error in the first revision and I want to see if the revised board can take in a sound module as well. I am thinking on this route if let's say, someone does not want a LCD but a simple LED chaser like the MkIX. This would mean, the Raspberry does not need to control the sound but the board itself.

Not a problem.
It will take some time because I am doing v02 due to the error in the first revision and I want to see if the revised board can take in a sound module as well. I am thinking on this route if let's say, someone does not want a LCD but a simple LED chaser like the MkIX. This would mean, the Raspberry does not need to control the sound but the board itself.

I went ahead and added your top panel PCBs to the repository. When the rest are ready do a pull request to git or feel free to send them to me directly and I'll upload them.

Ok, Sorry, Guys,
Just experienced some bad streak (got laid off, friend and relative died, broke my ASUS, etc.) since August and I just came back to this thread.
I realised that the version I emailed to Arky is version 02, which has the sequencing circuit. The improved version I have shown on the images above is version 03 variation 01 which has the two 0805 LEDs soldered at the back with the optional future soundboard piggyback. So, if you can wait, I will quickly rush on the design for version 03 variation 02 as soon as I can get my **** together, then get it back from the PCB supplier before I can confirm the design.

It is very highly likely that the piggyback might not work as I cannot find a single sound chip to play the sounds. The only solution would be a MP3 module which needs some microcontroller control. Also, having said that, yes, you can use the Raspberry Pico to control the MP3 module too but IO have not going that far into learning Arduino yet.

Welp. Adafruit finally restocked the LCD I used. A grand total of eight of them. I managed to snag only one before they sold out. I think I'm going to redesign it to use something more readily available.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back