TR-595E Custom Tricorder

JLCPCB has finished making the boards and they'll be shipped out soon. I oughta have them in a few days. In the meantime I've been making some refinements to the chassis. The screen cutout was a bit too small, so that's been adjusted. I also added a frame on the inside of the case for the LCD and board to fit into. Here's the printed main body and hinges I'm using:

1646263499457.png

I desoldered the header pins from the screen and made up a wire harness for it. It's now permanently attached to the Pico. I still need to add sound effects and a speaker to it, but I'll do that later on.

1646263725785.png

It's getting close, guys. I've spent the last couple of days doing finish work on the tricorder body:

1647927072248.png

1647927047583.png

1647926893441.png

1647926967196.png

1647926986274.png

The clear rods for the sensor array are being made on the resin printer as I type this. The door flap is almost ready for the final coat of primer. I'll have to install the door PCB and hinges before I can paint the flap. The electronics are done save for the battery and charging circuit which will be arriving Wednesday- including a wireless charging kit which will allow the tricorder to be charged with any Qi charging pad and reduce wear and tear on the back panel door. In the meantime, it's back to Inkscape to draw up the decals. Luckily, I'm a copier tech by trade so access to a decent quality printer won't be a problem, haha.

I've been at it for the last thirteen hours or so but finally... it's done.

1649919157028.png

1649919191230.png

1649919214574.png

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. It's certainly been a huge learning experience. I still have a few odds and ends to add to the git repository, but I'll be releasing all of the project files here and on Thingiverse in the next day or so.

Hi, Arky ,
I love your PCB designs on Tricorder. Hope you're not offended but I have modified the Top Panel PCB to sequence the 4 LEDs on the right. I have not given the resistor and capacitor values yet. This board allows you to use another 555 timer to generate its own pulse to the 4017 or, tap from the existing 555 (Pin 3) of the front array to match the timing.

As I do not have a 3D printer and Fusion360, I just reconstructed the Board in EaglePCB format after extracting the data from the GERBER files as best as I can.

Just created the Github account but I'm not too use how use it rn.

Attachments

• Top Panel PCB.jpg
    Top Panel PCB.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 87
Hi, Arky ,
I love your PCB designs on Tricorder. Hope you're not offended but I have modified the Top Panel PCB to sequence the 4 LEDs on the right. I have not given the resistor and capacitor values yet. This board allows you to use another 555 timer to generate its own pulse to the 4017 or, tap from the existing 555 (Pin 3) of the front array to match the timing.

As I do not have a 3D printer and Fusion360, I just reconstructed the Board in EaglePCB format after extracting the data from the GERBER files as best as I can.

Just created the Github account but I'm not too use how use it rn.
Cool! Just a heads up though- You'll want to cut down the height of the PCB by ~1.5-2mm. With the Front Array PCB installed, I noticed that the Top Panel PCB was just a hair too tall to fit properly- I had to grind it down. I'll fix the files and try to post an update to Github this weekend.

This might be good for TOS Tricorders

OK, Man,
I have reduced the top by 2mm and hopefully I can convert the EaglePCB files into GERBER format soon. I use the method I would ususally do to upload to JLCPCB. Updated the 555 timer with a 500R variable resistor as well.

Attachments

• Top Panel PCB 02.jpg
    Top Panel PCB 02.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 79
Sorry about this but I think I messed up with Github when I tried uploading the files and I cannot even find them after using the fork feature.
Its really not like those Google Drives thing.
Arky Can I email the files to you?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back