Toy Hunter TV Show

Leafman, its not any tv series that has taken the thrill of pawnshop huntings and deals off the map, its the internet and ability to price retail and last sold items on call. I used to hit pawn shops regularly in the 80's and 90's for guitar gear but once the internet became common, a $15 Boss Enhancer pedal is now marked at $200 and a Squire Strat is marked over retail since its "used". Every now and then Ill visit a pawn shop out of curiosity and dont see how they sell anything on the floor. Lawndale Jewelry & Loan used to be the place to get gear yet now its a joke. Cant get anyone to help you unless your selling gold, prices are outrageous and nobody tries to make a sell. Last time I visited that shop a $1 guitar cable had a $20 price tag on it, a new Squire Strat had a near triple retail sale price and the guitar pedals were all priced the same as the Squire, laughably.
Had nothing to do with Pawn Stars, its the shop either doesnt care to sell or they have the net to gauge prices.

Funny how that works. First the Internet (eBay) seemed to drive prices down because suddenly the market was wide open and everything was available.

I watched the show today and I enjoyed it, but don't care if I ever see it again. It was cool to see the Six Million Dollar Man and Star Wars toys (I remember the rocket controversy; it was that same safety concern that made Mattel put non-removable missiles on their BSG toys), but there was just way too much hype. "I found the Holy Grail of toys! I'm going to make $25 profit on it!"

Great show, I agree, two holy grails in one show will be very hard to match, but I will be very nice to see what they show from now on, the way the host made the deals, and spoke reminded me of Joe Madalena from Hollywood Treasures.

And there are several ones to find, like a carded Cobra Mortal from gi-joe, etc.

And last, I am in Argentina, and until they do the subs and stuff it will take some time to have the show here, so I use torrent to get it 20 minutes after they aired it in the US, and watched it just fine, not the recommended thing, but if you are not in the US is the only way to watch it anytime soon.

cya

Gus

Toy Hunter | Premieres August 15 at 10|9c - YouTube
Trailer for Toy Hunter.

Toy Hunters S01E01 - Pilot - YouTube
Complete pilot episode that aired in January. The show returns tomorrow at 10 pm Eastern.

Though I may not have the same affinity towards all the showcased vintage toys, it's still great to see toys getting the mainstream spotlight.

And the host Jordan Hembrough definitely reminds me of Joe Maddalena when he hosts Hollywood Treasure.

Last edited:
Just saw the two episodes. Man, it is just awesome seeing some of the toys of the past, including some from the 1980s. The show reminded me of American Pickers, but with action figures. :D

Yeah, it was awesome. Had a great time watching that. While we were watching, and they cut to commercial right when he looked in that large long box in Jersey, my GF asked what could be in there that would get him so excited. I said I wasn't sure but maybe the Speeder Bike ride on or Swing Set attachment. Funny that it showed up later in the show.

this was a pretty good show when does it come back on again? another show that looked good is SYFY Collection Intervention its collectors meets horders.

Just watched it tonight and had to laugh at the "Original Superman cape from the 3rd film"....

That short guy puts it on, and it was so high off the ground... Put tall CR in that cape and it would have been knee length. I really cannot see that as a screen worn cape.

I watched two episodes back to back. First one when he was in Texas and the second one when he was in Jersey! I cannot believe he makes a good living buying and selling legacy toys that HE considers to be a hot item. I mean most of the big stuff he was excited about sold for barely any profit.

Not to mention all the junk people had stashed in their storage spaces, garages, attics, secret attics in attics, and the most scary was the dungeon under the kitchen linoleum ("we places the lotion in the basket" scary!!!!!).

Most of the people on Toy Hunter would be ideal candidates on Collection Intervention!!!

I watched this show last night. It feels like Hollywood Treasures for toys. Except Hollywood Treasures is a lot better. I was shocked at the Boba Fett unpainted toy price. But not so much at the fact that rare or unopened toys can go for a lot of money.

Can anyone here ID a few of those Superman posters? There was one behind the collector that looked like a Jim Lee poster with a girl in the top right corner but I couldn't tell.

The show's ok, but the main guy is really annoying when he walks into peoples' homes and tells them all about their stuff. It's their stuff, they're collectors, they know what it is. If you want to inform the viewer, edit it in as a voiceover or a cutaway or something.

Also, he kept pronouncing Darkseid as "Darkseed".

Also, he kept pronouncing Darkseid as "Darkseed".
After seeing that and hearing him miss-pronounce it, it's clear this guy is no nerd. We all know the items he finds are placed there, or he looks for them before hand, and then researches what he doesn't know. Clearly he has no idea who Darkseid is or how to pronounce it. I think the show would be better if the host was replaced with someone like Kevin Smith.

Yup, "Darkside". Mispronouncing it is understandable if you're unfamiliar with the character, but when your entire reputation is being the Rainman of toys, it's less than impressive.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back