Toy Hunter TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by jcoffman99, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anybody catch the premeire of Toy Hunters last night on the Travel channel? I enjoyed it. Not everyday you get to see someone plunk down 17k for a rocket firing Boba Fett.

2. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did, and I enjoyed it.

I have heard that it is currently only a pilot that has yet to be picked up, though.

3. randomist

randomist Member

I'm quite disappointed this hasn't appeared online yet. Sounds like my kind of show.

4. INDY

INDY Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I enjoyed the show last night. I would like to see this show get picked up and made a series. However is there enough sought after rare toys to make this a successful series?

5. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

Was just thinking the same!:unsure

6. morrris99

morrris99 Well-Known Member

I found it a little hard to believe. He found 2 holy grail items in 2 trips, but hey, the truth is more amazing than fiction some times. Or maybe he blew his 2 best leads for the pilot, and the rest of the show will be finding red card stormtroopers from the 90's. I'll be watching if it does get picked up. I have to admit, I couldn't wait until the commercials were over to see what he was freaking out about each time.

7. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

Is it re-airing anytime?

8. randomist

randomist Member

It's typical.. us Scots always get left behind!

9. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What was the second holy grail?

I know of a few that can´t be bought as easily as a Rocket Firing Boba Fett :p

10. torren_of_amber

torren_of_amber Active Member

The bubble maker from thundercats, it was a one shot design prototype. It didn't sell, and for 20k I can't say I blame people either.
    T

11. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

I caught the last few minutes of the show. It seems ok. Worth a watch.

Btw, who was the guy who bought the boba fett figure?
    My wife and I both said "who is that guy" at the same time.
    We're both convinced he's someone famous.
    I think it may be Tim Hendricks from the tv show Miami Ink but I haven't found anything online to confirm it.

12. agliarept

agliarept Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

they filmed me an my gf at comic con. she bought her first ever toy and they filmed it. hah didn't make the show but was fun and Jordan was a great guy, we chatted briefly about the RPF and what not. i'll def be watching more, hope it gets picked up.

did anyone else find it awesome how the owner of "tomart", Yoda, was like the greatest character on that show. He didn't give a dam lol, made me laugh so hard when he talked. great sutff!

13. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

14. torren_of_amber

The guy who bought the Fett, wasn't anyone famous, or at least noone they point out. It wasn't Tim, but he had to be pretty well off to pay $17k for it. I hope they put it to series, I mean they have Cajun pawn, and Texas storage wars, so why not this?
    T

15. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Is the pilot online anywhere --?

16. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

weird, fell asleep watching Ghost Adventures and the next day turned the tv back on and this was on. A bit too much full face smiles to the point I wanted to start slapping people but always neat to see things resurface from childhood. I still want my own Great Mazinga Shogun Warrior. I only got Raydeen as a kid since it was at a yard sale for $1. Hated it though as it just looked like a giant chicken robot.

17. yt

yt Sr Member

I found myself smiling all the way through it, I hope it gets picked up!

18. Rupp66

Rupp66 Well-Known Member

Aw man, I HAD Mazinga Shogun Warrior. Saved-up forever as a kid to buy that thing, only to sell it at a yard sale a few years later for a couple of bucks. I don't even want to know if that hollow plastic, rocket-shootin' POS is worth money now.:facepalm

19. torren_of_amber

Toy Hunters Is Back This Sunday!
    Posted by D_Martin on January 25, 2012 at 06:13 PM CST
    The Toy Hunters pilot episode did exceptionally well when it premiered the other week, and now the Travel Channel's is going to rebroadcast it this Sunday in Prime Time. We have a feeling that this is a very positive sign for the show, and know that it will positively affect our community if it goes to series. That said, we ask that you check your local listings and make sure to tune in and watch it when it airs. Remember, the ratings are based on live veiws, and DVRing it won't count. Let's get together and make this show happen!

20. leafman

leafman Well-Known Member

I actually hope this show dies a quick death. After seeing what the pawn shop shows have done to pawn shops*, I really don't want it to happen to the toy market.

*It has become harder to find the good deals at pawn shops that you used to find. Shop owners have raised prices due to sellers asking more for their stuff because the seller thinks they might have something valuable. Prices have also risen because of the increase in customers. The same thing will happen in the toy market, people outside of the collector community will think the toys they currently have are more valuable, thus demanding more and there will be an upswell of scalpers buying up anything they think might be rare so they can resell.

21. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

Leafman, its not any tv series that has taken the thrill of pawnshop huntings and deals off the map, its the internet and ability to price retail and last sold items on call. I used to hit pawn shops regularly in the 80's and 90's for guitar gear but once the internet became common, a $15 Boss Enhancer pedal is now marked at $200 and a Squire Strat is marked over retail since its "used". Every now and then Ill visit a pawn shop out of curiosity and dont see how they sell anything on the floor. Lawndale Jewelry & Loan used to be the place to get gear yet now its a joke. Cant get anyone to help you unless your selling gold, prices are outrageous and nobody tries to make a sell. Last time I visited that shop a $1 guitar cable had a $20 price tag on it, a new Squire Strat had a near triple retail sale price and the guitar pedals were all priced the same as the Squire, laughably.
    Had nothing to do with Pawn Stars, its the shop either doesnt care to sell or they have the net to gauge prices.

22. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Funny how that works. First the Internet (eBay) seemed to drive prices down because suddenly the market was wide open and everything was available.

I watched the show today and I enjoyed it, but don't care if I ever see it again. It was cool to see the Six Million Dollar Man and Star Wars toys (I remember the rocket controversy; it was that same safety concern that made Mattel put non-removable missiles on their BSG toys), but there was just way too much hype. "I found the Holy Grail of toys! I'm going to make $25 profit on it!"

23. gusw666

gusw666 Well-Known Member

Great show, I agree, two holy grails in one show will be very hard to match, but I will be very nice to see what they show from now on, the way the host made the deals, and spoke reminded me of Joe Madalena from Hollywood Treasures.

And there are several ones to find, like a carded Cobra Mortal from gi-joe, etc.

And last, I am in Argentina, and until they do the subs and stuff it will take some time to have the show here, so I use torrent to get it 20 minutes after they aired it in the US, and watched it just fine, not the recommended thing, but if you are not in the US is the only way to watch it anytime soon.

cya

Gus

24. torren_of_amber

25. yt

yt Sr Member

Great!

26. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Toy Hunter | Premieres August 15 at 10|9c - YouTube
    Trailer for Toy Hunter.

Toy Hunters S01E01 - Pilot - YouTube
    Complete pilot episode that aired in January. The show returns tomorrow at 10 pm Eastern.

Though I may not have the same affinity towards all the showcased vintage toys, it's still great to see toys getting the mainstream spotlight.

And the host Jordan Hembrough definitely reminds me of Joe Maddalena when he hosts Hollywood Treasure.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  27. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Just saw the two episodes. Man, it is just awesome seeing some of the toys of the past, including some from the 1980s. The show reminded me of American Pickers, but with action figures. :D

28. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

Yeah, it was awesome. Had a great time watching that. While we were watching, and they cut to commercial right when he looked in that large long box in Jersey, my GF asked what could be in there that would get him so excited. I said I wasn't sure but maybe the Speeder Bike ride on or Swing Set attachment. Funny that it showed up later in the show.

29. justinaalt

justinaalt New Member

this was a pretty good show when does it come back on again? another show that looked good is SYFY Collection Intervention its collectors meets horders.

30. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

31. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just watched it tonight and had to laugh at the "Original Superman cape from the 3rd film"....

That short guy puts it on, and it was so high off the ground... Put tall CR in that cape and it would have been knee length. I really cannot see that as a screen worn cape.

32. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

I watched two episodes back to back. First one when he was in Texas and the second one when he was in Jersey! I cannot believe he makes a good living buying and selling legacy toys that HE considers to be a hot item. I mean most of the big stuff he was excited about sold for barely any profit.

Not to mention all the junk people had stashed in their storage spaces, garages, attics, secret attics in attics, and the most scary was the dungeon under the kitchen linoleum ("we places the lotion in the basket" scary!!!!!).

Most of the people on Toy Hunter would be ideal candidates on Collection Intervention!!!

33. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I watched this show last night. It feels like Hollywood Treasures for toys. Except Hollywood Treasures is a lot better. I was shocked at the Boba Fett unpainted toy price. But not so much at the fact that rare or unopened toys can go for a lot of money.

Can anyone here ID a few of those Superman posters? There was one behind the collector that looked like a Jim Lee poster with a girl in the top right corner but I couldn't tell.

34. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

The show's ok, but the main guy is really annoying when he walks into peoples' homes and tells them all about their stuff. It's their stuff, they're collectors, they know what it is. If you want to inform the viewer, edit it in as a voiceover or a cutaway or something.

Also, he kept pronouncing Darkseid as "Darkseed".

35. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

After seeing that and hearing him miss-pronounce it, it's clear this guy is no nerd. We all know the items he finds are placed there, or he looks for them before hand, and then researches what he doesn't know. Clearly he has no idea who Darkseid is or how to pronounce it. I think the show would be better if the host was replaced with someone like Kevin Smith.

36. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

So, if it's not pronounced "Darkseed", is it "Darkside"? Because I honestly have never heard of the character before until being introduced to the toy in this show.

37. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

Yup, "Darkside". Mispronouncing it is understandable if you're unfamiliar with the character, but when your entire reputation is being the Rainman of toys, it's less than impressive.

38. Jet Beetle

Dear God no.

39. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh hell yes! :thumbsup

40. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

If it were Jack Black and Kevin Smith, doing it as a parody of American Pickers, I could see it being AMAZING

41. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Every time I see Jack Black talk/act (or sing...) I die a little inside. I don't know why, but he bugs the hell out of me. If Kevin Smith did this show it would be on HBO, Showtime, or bleeped so many times it would be incomprehensible.

42. Jet Beetle

Yeah because we all know how fantastic that Kevin Smith comic book shop show is.

Host aside - i can't believe how cheap the people on Toy Hunters sell their stuff for.

43. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Well, some of the cases, it's understandable. For example, the guy with the room packed full of it toys. Obviously he wanted to clear it out so it can be used for a nursery, and he could have used the money for the baby (though the "toy hunter" only took about four items, there's a good chance he's also helped pair down his collection some more). For others, hard to really say.

44. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not a fan of Jack either. I used to like his movies, but then he decided to open his mouth in public. Not a great guy in my eyes.

45. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Someone had every one of those shogun warriors on ebay a few days ago. Pretty much mint in the box too. Of course, they went for more than what I was willing to pay.

46. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I completely agree (is that even still on?). However, I feel Kevin Smith on his own is quite entertaining. Those other idiots just weigh him down.

47. cokebabies

cokebabies Member

I really dislike the host. The show itself is a fun concept, but I just haven't liked the show due to him.

48. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I've only watched bits and pieces, but yeah I think it's the other people on the show and the show in general.

BTW, I hope this guy is making money on other stuff because I don't know how you could make a living making $20 here and there. Either that or he's moving a lot of items.

49. AdamNightmare

AdamNightmare Well-Known Member

The guy who bought the Fett is "Punkass," one of the owners of TapOut. Suffice to say, he's doing alright money-wise.

50. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member