Toronto Prop Party Official Date - June 25th 2011

Hey, sorry for being the late comer. I'm not too thrilled about d&b as the venue, but seems like it is moving ahead. I was starting to plan something similar for the east end (Oshawa). I have access to a community centre and could no doubt get the place for a song and a kiss. Lots of parking, two floors, a small stage. Anyway... I'll post about that later. Good luck with this event, it sounds cool. Make sure you take video and get pics!

I'm not too thrilled about d&b as the venue

Well the planning was going fairly well.
It's true D & B are not very quick to return your phone calls or emails.

If anyone has had any experiences at Dave and Busters(good or bad)
Please PM me.

I've only been there once and it was too brief to judge the place on any kind of service.

Cav, this is a tricky type of event to pull off. If you need any input, I'd be happy to help. I've been the event organizer for everything from municipal art shows to airsoft games. Any way you cut it, it's huge work for the "spearhead" and little, if any, reward.

If you drop this event, let me know, I may be able to pick up the torch.

If you drop this event, let me know, I may be able to pick up the torch.

Who said anything about dropping the event??????

Myself and Dr_Slurpee have been doing quite well with the organization.

The reason the June 25th date was chosen is to have plenty of time to finalize all the details.

I didn't say you were dropping the event. I said if for some reason you should squash it, I may be able to continue where you left off... Just trying to give you support buddy.

Myself and Dr_Slurpee have been doing quite well with the organization.

:thumbsup you guys are doing a great job.

A lot of venues can be a pain to deal with, especially if their primary business isn't special events. Fact is, there likely isn't a "full time" 40 hour work week person in charge of handling special events at a place like D&B's.

I've worked with public venues like community centers and museums, and sometimes the event co-ordinators for those places can be even worse to deal with. They're also notorious for over-booking and double booking. IE: Event on friday night has until noon saturday to clean up, next event has the room booked at noon saturday to start and they show up to find a room still decorated from the night before...

Cav, I don't have any personal dealing with D&B specifically, but likely, until a deposit is made and they know that it's full steam ahead, they may be a little wary. Places like that probably don't go out of their way until it is confirmed on their end.

I said if for some reason you should squash it, I may be able to continue where you left off... Just trying to give you support buddy.

No problem,
I appreciate everyone's input.
Whisper Kill, there's not even much to do at this point. Knowing that you might be coming is a big enough help.

Dr_Slurpee is going to coordinate the prize donations and possibly the raffle.
And of course.

D & B emailed both of us today to confirm a few details on room sizes and AV setup.

We're going to have a projector and screen setup with DVD, VCR, and a Mic.

Yeah, they won't need the deposit until a few days before the event so we're ok there.

I'm a broken record, but I'm keeping a list of everyone who's expressed interest in attending. Some are more confirmed than others, but we're hoping for 30 minimum at this point.

For anyone still interested who hasn't PM'd me yet... even if you're not 100% sure you can come, let me know anyway because it still helps me with my list.

If anyone has any questions, please post them. I check this thread constantly.

Keep spreading the word.

Sorry life has been insanely busy. I plan to be there and will get the work out to my friends.

I have only a car to transport stuff so I doubt I will bring R2. I can bring either the mini droid or K9. I hope to have K9 RC by then.

Still sorting out the logisitics based on those who have done their best to 'confirm' attendance and those who are 'tentatively' attending.

It's coming along.

In order to keep costs lower, we're planning on changing the venue.

Please don't freak out, it's a way better place.
It's just that Dave and Busters has this mandatory buffet clause + people may not even want to eat the food.

The choice to change the venue is the best way to minimize costs.

Also, the location we're reviewing won't be crowded.
It'll feel like the old Toronto Trek conventions(before it became Polaris)
At least that's the vibe I got when I went to check it out.

The event is still alive and well

Last edited:
The venue is still more or less in the same area too so won't have to travel any more than they already expected. :)

I was just directed to this thread. Unfortunatley I'm out of town that weekend visiting family in London (half way there, but not close enough!)

Excuse#2: Life has hit me (2 kids under three) hence I have not had time to repair R2 in 2 years. R2 had a bad gig in Detroit at the SW music thing. It needs a major overhaul or to decommision him :(

Sorry guys maybe next time.

The venue is still more or less in the same area too so won't have to travel any more than they already expected. :)

As long as there's parking and door I'm a happy camper. Still in for the 25th! If the date changes I'll have to let you know.

I'm off for vacation for two weeks so if you don't hear from me in the meantime that's why!

No problem.
There will definitely be a door and a big parking lot.

Enjoy your vacation.

As long as there's parking and door I'm a happy camper. Still in for the 25th! If the date changes I'll have to let you know.

I'm off for vacation for two weeks so if you don't hear from me in the meantime that's why!

Excuse#2: Life has hit me (2 kids under three) hence I have not had time to repair R2 in 2 years. R2 had a bad gig in Detroit at the SW music thing. It needs a major overhaul or to decommision him :(

Sorry guys maybe next time.

Thanks for your interest
If there's any way you can make it, that would be great.

Kids under 10 get in for free.

I could not get an earlier flight into Toronto that day, unfortunately I don't get in until 9PM. Wish I could join you all, but couldn't work it out. You guys have a great time.

***UPDATE***
I've updated the new location
http://www.therpf.com/f9/toronto-prop-party-official-date-june-25th-2011-a-112144/#post1615454

I'm going to try and have a section set up with a TV, DVD, AVI player, Xbox, PS3, and hopefully a small stereo system.
Hopefully, I can provide all of the above myself.

If anyone else has a portable flat screen TV they want to bring, that would be great. It's up to you of course how comfortable you feel with that.

For those bringing children, if you already have a portable DVD player that you would like to bring that would help at least to keep some of the kids occupied.

Dr_Slurpee was kind enough to draw up some floor plan layouts so we can better prepare for any 'exhibitors' who will be bringing props to display.

Exhibitors
Also, another bump for those bringing props to let me know how much stuff you might bring so we can allocate sufficient table space. We will have a lot of tables so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Prize Donations
Those of you who have generously offered prizes for the raffle should let Dr_Slurpee or myself know what you had in mind to donate so we can start preparing a list for the prize raffle. That list will then be posted in this thread for everyone to see. We could always leave a few items off the list to sweeten the surprise.

I know June 25th seems so far away, but at least we still have lots of time to plan things out and pull off the best event we can.

I appreciate everyone's support on this.
I just hope we can keep everyone interested in the meantime.

Any questions or issues at all, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back