Topher Grace Edits Star Wars Prequels

Here's a thought playing off of Mic's "The arrogance of some people..." comments.

First, at least Topher is putting his money where his mouth is (so to speak). Many times when people criticize this or that film, defenders of the film will argue "Oh yeah?! Well if you're so smart, let's see YOU do it." Topher didn't film the movie, but he did, at least, play around with editing it. So that is, to some degree, a step further than merely complaining from the sidelines.

Second, in response to the "The NERVE of some people!" style comments, there seems to be the implication of "How could these mere peons think they could do better than what was there? God...such arrogance."

But what if it actually WAS better?

Or is the issue "How dare anyone remake or modify the original (who isn't the original author themselves, just so we avoid THAT particular debate)?" In which case, again, cover songs, parodies, remixes, etc.

I'm not saying I don't disagree with the notion of "Go out there and do something new," but on the other hand, if you're, oh, I don't know, a HOBBYIST and you're making, say, reproductions (or REPLICAS) of things that other people made but maybe putting your own touch on them...I guess I don't see that as particularly arrogant. Moreover, Topher Grace wasn't exactly advertising this. Apparently the screening of this thing was a rather small scale affair -- a guy showing his buddies what he's been up to, and word just spread. I think that's a bit different from, say, a Hollywood remake or something like Adywan's edits that end up being publicly distributed.

I'm a star wars fan, and even though the prequels weren't what *I* wanted them to be, I'm open to watching another version to see if *I* like it better.

Nick you could be my newest hero!

I'd love to see this. Couldn't read all the outline of what happened in his edit. I'd just rather watch it and see for myself. I'm sure it will get out there some day...

Topher who?!?

For some bit player in a Spider-Man movie and (basically) a has been from a TV show, he sure must have one hell of an ego.

Seriously, what kind of arrogance does it take to think you take someone elses film, someone elses vision and property and then try to "make it better."

Not only that. You're just condesing the story... you're abridging it. 80 minutes isn't telling the story as it was meant by its creator to be told.

Topher who?!?

For some bit player in a Spider-Man movie and (basically) a has been from a TV show, he sure must have one hell of an ego.

Seriously, what kind of arrogance does it take to think you take someone elses film, someone elses vision and property and then try to "make it better."

Not only that. You're just condesing the story... you're abridging it. 80 minutes isn't telling the story as it was meant by its creator to be told.

I agree, 85 minutes is woefully inadequate.

The Wook

Anyone who believes arrogance has anything to do with wanting the Star Wars prequels to be better, is delusional.

"As it was meant by its creator"

Seriously? Did anyone watch the prequel bonus features? I'm embarrassed to admit I did and it's painfully obvious Lucas had no idea what he was doing with any of the story elements.

Edit on fanboys. They didnt take away anyone's prequel DVDs. They could take mine... but I already got rid of them years ago.

I'd like to see Topher's version.

His time would have been better spent editing himself and the entire Venom story out of Spiderman 3. (Yeah I'm probably not the first person who would point out this irony.)

Edit; I see someone did beat me to the punch. Goonie and I are in agreement. :)

Again, I'm assuming you didn't watch the new Battlestar on principle, and you turn off cover versions when they're on the radio, and you won't watch remakes like Scarface and Cape Fear. ;-)

Well that's exactly the point. It's illustrating that the story was badly told 'as it was meant to be' and is trying to craft something more entertaining out of the raw material. Culturally speaking, I think that's pretty interesting.

Now, I agree, were the other way round, it would be arrogance, that's to say if George Lucas took a film student's 80 minute show reel and reedited it without permission to show him how he was doing it wrong, that would not be good. But that's the nature of power.

Topher who?!?

Arrogance? You've never purchased something and altered or customized it in some way to better suit your needs? I do that all the time.

Also, it's worth considering how invasive Star Wars is. I'm 34, and ever since I was a boy, I've been bombarded with images from it and solicited to buy Star Wars items, when i"m in the food aisles, in Burger King, in the games store, in Target, on television, pop-up ads, everywhere. I think it's completely cool to re-cut the prequels as an academic exercise and show it to a few friends.

Last edited:
Also, it's worth considering how invasive Star Wars is. I'm 34, and ever since I was a boy, I've been bombarded with images from it and solicited to buy Star Wars items, when i"m in the food aisles, in Burger King, in the games store, in Target, on television, pop-up ads, everywhere. I think it's completely cool to re-cut the prequels as an academic exercise and show it to a few friends.

This. Where's the arrogance?

I would love to see what he's done. It's always nice to see "fan" edits using only existing shot footage. What I'd really love to see is someone who could write and reshoot the prequels the way they should have been done.

I can't believe that Lucas didn't take all the years, or even some of those years, in between Jedi and TPM to really construct a good cohesive written PT, or even a great outline for the entire storyline. It seems he didn't do much in between those years, and then just crapped out 3 films without much thought.

I just watched AOTC last night and it really is more disappointing every time I watch it (same with TPM and ROTS). The characters reactions/motivations are never right, especially Anakin and Padme. Sometimes Obi's actions are just as wrong, for ex. when he jumps out the window to fly on that droid trying to find out who's trying to kill Padme. To me, that is a wreckless action which is better fitted to Anakin's character and, even by Obi Wan's own words, he says they're there to protect her, not find out who's trying to kill her. They usually contradict themselves, which is all about poor writing.

I don't buy Padme's turn to "loving" Anakin throughout AOTC. The first time she sees him, her reaction to Anakin and line of "you'll always be that little boy on Tattooine" just don't look like there's a confused/hidden "love" at all. Also, if Anakin is so disrespected by Padme's decision about Naboo and basically belittling him in front of her Queen and officials, wouldn't he start hating her? Even a little bit? By his actions alone in that scene, you would think so, but in the next scene with him, he's all love struck again. :confused It really does just come down to terrible writing and directing as I'm sure the actors had different ways to act the scenes out, but GL most likely steered them wrong into what we eventually got.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back