Top Gun: Maverick

I’m proud to have worked on the F/A-18E/F program for over 20 years! Seeing them perform as they did on the big screen gave me chills, even though I saw them fly every day.

9C597D3B-F143-47AE-A3E4-110132FEF320.jpeg

Last edited:
My brother and I took Dad to see Maverick for fathers day. Dad loved it and this was my second viewing. It was even better than the first time. The theater was packed and everyone clapped and cheered at the end. One of the best theater experiences of my life. Top 5 for sure.

As of this past weekend, TG: M has grossed just over $1B worldwide (without China). This thing is a runaway monster! I’m betting it catches up to Spiderman: No Way Home before it’s done ($1.9B worldwide).
EDIT— I knew it. Had to be. Paramount just announced that 16% of viewers have seen the film twice in theaters, 4% four times or more.

When you see legs like this on a movie, you know they’re getting repeat business. I’ve seen it twice with my wife.

Best movie theater experience of my life.

I wasn't prepared for how much it would impact me to realize that I am much closer in age as, and so more closely identify with, the older characters (Maverick, Penny, Iceman, etc.)–reaching a stage of life where you're not exactly "old," but old enough to have experienced disappointment, loss, failure, unexpected illness. Old enought to look at 20-30-somethings like they're just kids.

The action sequences were as exciting as I've ever seen, largely influenced I'm sure by the extent to which practical effects were used instead of CGI.

For any that have sworn off going to a theater to see a new movie anymore, I would reconsider for this one.

I’m not going to write a big long, in-depth review. All I will say is I had no interest in this movie—I’ve never had any interest in the original, didn’t grow up watching it, and hearing people getting excited about the news for the sequel, and then raving about the sequel, just got on my nerves. Well, eventually my parents saw Maverick and started raving too, insisting I watch the original (for context) so I could see the sequel while it was in theaters. Watched the original—didn’t care for it. Wasn’t excited for more of the same.

I was wrong. Maverick was a hell of a theater experience, one that everyone should see. I’ve seen it twice in theaters now. It takes the ten vaguely entertaining minutes from the end of the first one and makes an entire movie out of those. What a treat. Go and see this film while it’s still playing.

I just watched this film with my Dad. As y'all may remember, I had my concerns because I was worried that it wouldn't be on par with the original, which was mostly due to Tony Scott and his style and directing choices and that I was willing to give it a chance because the director who had been selected for the film was the same director who did TRON: Legacy and Oblivion, both which I happened to enjoy. And I have to say, this film is on par with the original. It's one of the very few films that were on the same level as the original. And most importantly, it didn't suffer sequel degrading, nor did it have the usual "whole body of clay" portrayal of an iconic character to elevate the new characters. Maverick still felt like a human being and clearly still carrying guilt and trauma from what happened with Goose and a good story. And I'm glad this didn't include most of the problems that plague franchises these days. This film was about story and character, just like how films used to be and so few are able to do now. It's no wonder this film has passed Avengers: Infinity War at the box office, because it gives the audience something to enjoy and characters to give an actual damn about. And I am also glad they included a dedication to Tony Scott at the end (Top Gun wouldn't be what it was without him) and that they included Iceman despite Val Kilmer's throat cancer leaving him unable to be able to perform as he used to (so at least he's getting some residuals from the film to keep him comfortable). Top Gun: Maverick is really good.

I've seen this movie 4 times in the theater. The last time was my 4 year old daughters first experience in a theater. She LOVES cars and planes and loves great music. She sat through the entire thing and I'm so glad it kept her attention. It's a memory I'll cherish forever and I hope she does too. My first theater experience was Return of the Jedi with my dad when I was 4 and I'll never ever forget it. I hope I passed along the same experience.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back