Top Gun: Maverick

Seriously guys. It was a dumb comment by me. Nothing worth arguing about.

I should have said, he is wrong about some things.

Let's get back to loving Top Gun Maverick.

Life is too short.

Yeah. One of the best movies in quite a while. Whenever there is big hype before releasing a movie, I'm always worried that the movie isn't going to live up to it, since, in my opinion, that's usually the case. You can watch this movie several times and not get bored of it.

TazMan2000

On my 4th viewing. I can not remember the last time I watched a current movie more than once. Even ones I liked. A few DVDs here and there. Watch a second time when I get it and that is usually it.

Not the 2nd coming, just a great movie.

I was looking over Tom Cruise's Filmography and I have to say I enjoy most his movies. He has a pretty good track record. The guy has been a top box office star for 36 years. That is the record by far.

Plus my favorite real life fighter is the F-14. I fell in love with it seeing The Final Countdown and never betrayed her. Always my first love. Seeing her have one last ride was awesome.

Last edited:
Ah the Final Countdown, such an underrated movie. I saw it at the base theater when I was in the military. Along with Top gun about the same time. We all strutted around like Tom Cruise in our flight suits. Granted I only crewed helicopters, but the ladies in the area didn't know that. One flight suit looked like another to them, ; ) Ah the good ole days.

I finally watched this and thought it was decent. I thought there was a little too much fan service with Maverick saying "Talk to me Goose..." and then his son for no reason saying "Talk to me Dad..." Then having to have the volleyball Football scene. We all saw Top Gun let's move on. The only thing that really bugged me was everyone saying "OMG these are 5th gen fighters, you can't handle them in your F/A-18!" No U.S. pilot (or NATO for that matter) would have ANY problem engaging in a dogfight with an enemy fighter. If you read stories from WW2, there were RAF and American fighter pilots who would be in something like a four fighter flight and would have thought nothing of attacking an entire squadron or more of German fighters. The scene with the SU-57 doing the crazy thrust vectoring maneuver and their reaction was pretty cool! Although they would be well aware of them being able to do that.

I think the Tom Cruise fan club must have gotten wind and they all went to respond. I think it's either hilarious or very sad that people actually thought the week or two of training, which probably wasn't flight training, was enough to make the actors better than actual fighter pilots! I think one of them even made the comment about some ejection seat training not making the actors pilots. Most likely the training was that and showing them where they should have their hands or where to look to make them look like they were pilots/WSOs. People are dumb.

I finally watched this and thought it was decent. I thought there was a little too much fan service with Maverick saying "Talk to me Goose..." and then his son for no reason saying "Talk to me Dad..." Then having to have the volleyball Football scene. We all saw Top Gun let's move on.

The beach scene, unlike in the original Top Gun, moves the story forward. It shows an experience that Maverick—and by extension, the audience—has been through as a character and reframes it as an unorthodox way of building a team. It keeps Maverick still in direct confrontation with his navy supervisors but brings him closer to his pupils, with the added layer of the first film as backstory.

Same for the "talk to me" lines, which are integral to the story arc they're trying to build across both films.

Truly, what this movie achieved is nothing short of extraordinary and I for one am super happy that it has resonated with so many people. It does what so many of these modern nostalgia-driven blockbusters fail to do time and again: tell a good story. Not only that, it manages to tell a good story by building on the original instead of resorting to vapid references that come out of nowhere and serve zero purpose. It's not trying to be a new film, it embraces the fact that it's a legacy sequel, yet it does this right. It is better than the original Top Gun in every sense. It's better shot, better written, better acted, and better structured. Where the original ended up being a mostly aesthetics-based propaganda fest with barely any story to tell, this becomes a quite spectacular action flick with emotional punch and an engaging plotline. In a way, it may have been so successful precisely cause the original wasn't so good to begin with. I guess it's easier to build on Top Gun than Jurassic Park or Star Wars. But still, at least now there's a precedent for how these things should be moving forward. Not that many film executives will take notice. They didn't with Mad Max: Fury Road either.

The only country the US has sold F-14s to is Iran in the 1970s. Have they sold them to anyone else? Who knows.

SB
I haven't heard of Iran having sold any of their F-14s to anybody. Given that we cut them off when the Shah was deposed, they really couldn't afford to sell any since they needed every one they had since they had to cannibalize their fleet for parts in order to keep them flying. And I don't think that they had enough to begin with to be able to spare any to sell off and even a single F-14 would be worthless to anybody since having only 1 means that when it's down for maintenance/repairs you now have none.

The bad guys in TG:M had modern fighters, F-14s, mountainous snowy terrain, their nuclear reactor was deemed an unacceptable threat . . . it was obviously a mashup of challenges rather than a real specific place.

The bad guys in TG:M had modern fighters, F-14s, mountainous snowy terrain, their nuclear reactor was deemed an unacceptable threat . . . it was obviously a mashup of challenges rather than a real specific place.
At the same time, I think that specifically identifies who America perceives to be their New Cold War enemies: Russia, North Korea, and China. The setting is ambiguous, but also specific enough not to be.

Mmmm . . . I doubt it was that intentional/realistic. I think the filmmakers probably just mashed up whatever obstacles they could think of.

IMO they were wise to keep it in mountainous colder terrain, just for the novelty. And to visually separate the real mission from the training sessions.

Chris Nolan insisted on filming the opening hijack in 'The Dark Knight Rises' over the highlands of Scotland for style reasons. It would have been much easier/cheaper to do it over the Mojave desert in Cali. But the desert would have subconsiously signalled that it was "movie land" because that location has been the default place for Hollywood aircraft scenes for decades.

I find it "convenient" that the "unfriendly" country was never mentioned by name. But as many have mentioned, Iran was the only country other than the US that operated the F-14. At the time of the sale, the F-14 was one of the most advanced fighters in the US arsenal.

Iran and Russian are are good terms, which is no secret, so it would be possible that the Russians would sell some of their front line 5th generation fighters to them.

But I agree with batguy, mentioning that it was a mashup of past and current hostile nations to counter a worldwide terrorist threat. The movie was release almost 2 years late due to Covid. But with the ongoing turmoil in the world now, this movie could be viewed several years from now, without naming any particular country as being the bad guy, and the viewer could fill in the blanks as to which was the hostile country.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back