Tom's Kobold Saber and Mystery Saber

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey y'all,

starting this thread because I'm antsy and excited. Usually custom sabers are machined or cobbled together from plumbing and hardware. I've always wanted to make props the way Elstree and Lucas' prop guys did, with camera flashes and similar greeblies. It looks like now I can!

i picked up these flashes for...well less than 80$ each, which is still pricy for me but I wanted them. A) there are very few flashes that have a large clamp like graflexs and MPPs. Finding another, even without knowing who made it, sold me. Also, the strange lever reminded me of the hunt fr the v2 lever. This isn't it, but it's interesting! B) the other is a Kobold; same "emitter" as the droid caller, but a 3 cell body!

i plan on making these by fitting parts on in the same fashion as the OT. That means T track from Roy and 1.5 inch emitter shrouds! (There's already a red button on the mystery flash!)
Now...the Kobold is coming by AU sea mail, and the other from Germany, so I'll be patiently waiting for those packages in the meantime.

5/28 See page 3 for the Kobold Saber.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 368
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Wow . . . that clamp + lever does look a lot like the same one on my V2 :

which also came from an unknown flashgun purhased from Australia :

... and which I too did receive via seamail . . . after more than 6 weeks :wacko Looking forward to seeing some of those found vintage parts you received :)

Chaim

that is incredibly similar! The thick triangular lever and thicker clamp thing seems to be a theme. Your clamp there is very graflex-like - it looks like the one I picked up is a little more MPP. I think there are angled side-bars if I'm not mistaken

Nice V2 by the way, what type of lighting and backdrop materials do you have in your little photographing station? I always love your shots

Thanks for the compliments about my photography . . . it's rather simple . . . I put a blue piece of cardboard on knee level just enough to be nicely lit by daylight through the kitchen/balcony outdoor windows ... with a Canon 5D professional camera and some additional photoshop colour correction or fx if need be :) ... Oh and the sidebars on my V2 clamp are straight cut ;)

Chaim

They are, I noticed that...I ALSO noticed those little circles are exactly where your lever hits the sidebar. A little extra metal to protect against wear?

I think it's part of the fabrication process since the lever does not actually touch the sides on that spot ... and the circles are on both ends, and even on the sidebar that is on the opposite side without the lever ... so no idea why thy were added? Also the lever and sidebars are chromed since you can see a small nick on the lever without chrome :)

Chaim

I recived the mystery flash from Germany yesterday. It's light, aluminum most likely, with four odd sockets up top and ...it splits like a graflex. The clamp has separate sidebars and tabs for a locking mechanism. It's all a little loose/not tight but I can work on that. Pics when I get home from work!

Here's the first one. If anyone recognizes anything let me know...I think it was found with a Graflex kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,024 KB · Views: 123
Some more pics! I definitely will want to weigh this down. I am a huge fan an of the red button, the many sockets, the weird clamp and the protruding areas

it also came with a little flat reflector, with a wire loop at the bottom, affixed Heiland esque to the side of the top, opposite the button. The back of this dish has a black MPP style coating, but that's the only color I see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
Tom, this is going very well. I really like this piece. It has a bizarre but "right" vibe to it. I'm eager to see your progress.

Thanks everyone! Bizarre is the exact word I would choose.

I think I'm headed to Roy for some ESB type track on this one, still pondering emitters/shrouds.

You've got a good point there Matt, all the OT saber builds are pretty short.

threw a piece of card in the clamp. This was an online grab that I thought was ESB accurate from blurry photos. It looks really edgy (pun intended) in this clamp!

also, I got that red button off and the underneath is just as cool as everything else. More tiny brass screws!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    851.4 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    963.2 KB · Views: 117
For good measure, here's the bulb sockets and reflector it came with :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    808.5 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    912.7 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    879.2 KB · Views: 99
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back