Tom's Kobold Saber and Mystery Saber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by thd9791, Mar 21, 2015.

1. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey y'all,

starting this thread because I'm antsy and excited. Usually custom sabers are machined or cobbled together from plumbing and hardware. I've always wanted to make props the way Elstree and Lucas' prop guys did, with camera flashes and similar greeblies. It looks like now I can!

i picked up these flashes for...well less than 80$ each, which is still pricy for me but I wanted them. A) there are very few flashes that have a large clamp like graflexs and MPPs. Finding another, even without knowing who made it, sold me. Also, the strange lever reminded me of the hunt fr the v2 lever. This isn't it, but it's interesting! B) the other is a Kobold; same "emitter" as the droid caller, but a 3 cell body!

i plan on making these by fitting parts on in the same fashion as the OT. That means T track from Roy and 1.5 inch emitter shrouds! (There's already a red button on the mystery flash!)
    Now...the Kobold is coming by AU sea mail, and the other from Germany, so I'll be patiently waiting for those packages in the meantime.

5/28 See page 3 for the Kobold Saber.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    garymorris and mugatu like this.
  2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Wow . . . that clamp + lever does look a lot like the same one on my V2 :

[​IMG]

which also came from an unknown flashgun purhased from Australia :

[​IMG]

... and which I too did receive via seamail . . . after more than 6 weeks :wacko Looking forward to seeing some of those found vintage parts you received :)

Chaim

ataru72ita, thd9791 and scottjua like this.
  3. thd9791

that is incredibly similar! The thick triangular lever and thicker clamp thing seems to be a theme. Your clamp there is very graflex-like - it looks like the one I picked up is a little more MPP. I think there are angled side-bars if I'm not mistaken

Nice V2 by the way, what type of lighting and backdrop materials do you have in your little photographing station? I always love your shots

4. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Thanks for the compliments about my photography . . . it's rather simple . . . I put a blue piece of cardboard on knee level just enough to be nicely lit by daylight through the kitchen/balcony outdoor windows ... with a Canon 5D professional camera and some additional photoshop colour correction or fx if need be :) ... Oh and the sidebars on my V2 clamp are straight cut ;)

Chaim

redbutton and thd9791 like this.
  5. thd9791

They are, I noticed that...I ALSO noticed those little circles are exactly where your lever hits the sidebar. A little extra metal to protect against wear?

6. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I think it's part of the fabrication process since the lever does not actually touch the sides on that spot ... and the circles are on both ends, and even on the sidebar that is on the opposite side without the lever ... so no idea why thy were added? Also the lever and sidebars are chromed since you can see a small nick on the lever without chrome :)

Chaim

thd9791 likes this.
  7. thd9791

I recived the mystery flash from Germany yesterday. It's light, aluminum most likely, with four odd sockets up top and ...it splits like a graflex. The clamp has separate sidebars and tabs for a locking mechanism. It's all a little loose/not tight but I can work on that. Pics when I get home from work!

Sym-Cha and mugatu like this.
  8. thd9791

Here's the first one. If anyone recognizes anything let me know...I think it was found with a Graflex kit.

Attached Files:

Andymac84 and Sym-Cha like this.
  9. thd9791

Some more pics! I definitely will want to weigh this down. I am a huge fan an of the red button, the many sockets, the weird clamp and the protruding areas

it also came with a little flat reflector, with a wire loop at the bottom, affixed Heiland esque to the side of the top, opposite the button. The back of this dish has a black MPP style coating, but that's the only color I see.

Attached Files:

10. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Can't wait to see some additional greeblies add and weathering :)

Chaim

11. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like it! OT style.

12. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I really like that one! Let us know if you figure out the make/model.

13. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

tom that is one cool red button!!

14. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

The button looks cool.

But I really like the clamp and this lever. That's something new.
    Can't wait to see what you will make of it.

15. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tom, this is going very well. I really like this piece. It has a bizarre but "right" vibe to it. I'm eager to see your progress.

16. thd9791

Thanks everyone! Bizarre is the exact word I would choose.

I think I'm headed to Roy for some ESB type track on this one, still pondering emitters/shrouds.

mugatu likes this.
  17. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

I really like the look of that flash, very OT. I say slap some grips on it, put something in the clamp, add a D ring and be done with it. Less is more with this stuff.

mugatu, Sym-Cha and thd9791 like this.
  18. thd9791

You've got a good point there Matt, all the OT saber builds are pretty short.

threw a piece of card in the clamp. This was an online grab that I thought was ESB accurate from blurry photos. It looks really edgy (pun intended) in this clamp!

also, I got that red button off and the underneath is just as cool as everything else. More tiny brass screws!

Attached Files:

Sym-Cha likes this.
  19. thd9791

For good measure, here's the bulb sockets and reflector it came with :)

Attached Files:

mugatu likes this.
  20. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Whatever the thing is in that second pic, looks like you could use it to make guts for a reveal lightsaber. Stick a crystal in the top of it.

mugatu and Sym-Cha like this.
  21. NeoRutty

Looks like you should take that card down one more stripe... Fit it flush.

mugatu likes this.
  22. thd9791

Looking back at this, I may actually do that. It's weird, not only is this clamp not lined up correctly...the whole thing is angled. I originally didn't cut it down because there would be some of the clamp visible instead.

Im gonna experiment with this.

23. Luke the Belter

I would add 4 flat metal grips (TFU saber style) with rivets to the bottom tube and T-tracks in Mara Jade style around the hilt in the small recessed area above the clamp.
    And reveal for sure. Everytime there is a chance to open up the saber hilt via a clamp it would be a waste not to think about a crystal chamber and maybe electronics ;)

thd9791 likes this.
  24. thd9791

I've been really thinking about this piece. (The kobolds delivery estimate now says June, I think it really did go by sea...)

I cut the card down a mm or two so it's flush with the floor of the clamp. If I trim it flush with the rim, I'll see the bare clamp on the top and bottom, so I'm okay with part of the gold showing. I also filled that one screw hole with a heiland thumbscrew left over, and a beveled washer from an old electronic plug I got from physics lab junk. There's a washer and nut around the bare clamp rod, but I may change that...

I also bought a leica flash. I was going to use the clip as an ESB style d ring, and maybe take it apart for saber emitter parts or something. Mines in mint condition, and heavy enough that I'm surprised this wasn't used as a droid caller or something. Note, the clip does not have a flat bottom, the body has a ridge in it. This flash is beautiful, I'm tempted to find a crappy junk one and keep this one intact...

oh oh and I MAY have taken my bolsey, sanded off the endcap paint, replaced the button with a heiland bulb test and screwed a silver cardboard box metal loop disc to the top...grips to come :)

Attached Files:

mugatu, Sym-Cha and mvanwalks421 like this.
  25. thd9791

I've done two things. First, I destroyed...okay unscrewed and pulled apart the Leica to find these parts...inside the large metal section was a plastic doughnut and silver sleeve that housed that spring. Very PT looking. I stuffed them in the spring bulb socket and they're not going anywhere. Good thing they look good!

i also installed the Leica clip with screws that I hand cut to be flat. Since it's weirdly shaped, I used some metal spacers I found in a 90s computer. They have slots in them like a flat head screw. theres a long springy part floating over a long rectangular cut out on one side of the clip. I can trim off the tip of that, and drill a second hole on the other side for a D ring!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    redbutton and Luke the Belter like this.
  26. mugatu

Tom this just keeps getting better and better.

27. thd9791

Thanks Andy. Well..I have a big update. First, I replaced the screws in the d ring with flat ones from an old 1960s amplifier from a psych lab. I also tried a different washer underneath that thumbscrew...didn't look right so I drilled out the original hole...and threw an indicator lamp with the same diamond knurling as the red button! (I got another box of physics equipment this weekend *grin* )

Attached Files:

mugatu likes this.
  28. thd9791

I had bought that capacitor battery flash insert to go real thematic while trying to weigh this down..but that was too big. In that box of physics eq. There was a long HEAVYWEIGHT metal counter with thick cables coming off it. I took it apart and without the numbers..it looks like a crystal chamber! It fits too, with a half an inch length to spare. I epoxied a tube socket to the end to fill the gap, painted it black (maybe the brass will run through...I ripped off pieces of tape to make weathering at the edges...and i may even put a crystal in there...

oh and I ESBed the crap out of a set of Roy's grips. Clean and without problems, Cept for some epoxy slippage that I can't seem to clean off. (I made the mistake of trying to scratch it off the tube) they look fantastic. Now...do I paint anything near the emitter black? Wrinkle? Clamp? Let it be?

Attached Files:

roygilsing and Sym-Cha like this.
  29. mugatu

Score on the physics equipment! Dude that crystal chamber is a great find. Are you going to light up a crystal in it?

thd9791 likes this.
  30. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Perhaps you could add some heavily weather black paint or so, as seen on Luke's V2, where I put the red arrows?

[​IMG]

Chaim

31. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

32. thd9791

OOH this is why I ask. Here I was picturing coloring the rim or the socket section...I DO like that. I'm weathering the guts, and I'd love to weather that too.

how do people mimick the v2s weathering? Most sanding I do looks nothing like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Alas, no. It bends the opposite way, I wish though.

33. cayman shen

Yeah, but can it be made to bend the V2 way (does it bend backward? Or can the clamp be installed 180 degrees flipped?) I'm sure you're right, but I don't want to leave any V2 stone unturned!

34. thd9791

Haha I know the feeling! Here, based on the shape I think this lever can only fold one way. It stops at 90* every time.

Attached Files:

35. cayman shen

But would it stop there on a Graflex clamp? Is the Graflex clamp shape different? Also the V2 is missing the second bar...does that affect the tension that might allow the lever to go farther? Sorry to keep bugging you just playing Sherlock here :lol

36. thd9791

Lol questions are good!

let me explain it this way - this is very similar to a graflex set up. It's a lever, with a right angled back and a softer angle in front, against a flat sidebar. Graflex levers won't work backwards either for the same reason, the tension would snap it. Also, the underside of my lever has a recess like a graflex, which isn't seen on the top of the V2 lever! :)

37. cayman shen

Okay fine, crush my dreams :lol I appreciate the explanation though!

thd9791 likes this.
  38. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I took the liberty to enhance the picture of that V2 ... with some colour correction ... to show the lever :

[​IMG]

Chaim

thd9791 likes this.
  39. thd9791

Hahahaha

thaka Chaim! It's very thin. (And dat board!)

40. thd9791

I'm caught between just the top and both sections. Other opinions? I have the choice of black or black wrinkle paint for starters. I put blue painters tape on and used the "mono" filter on my iPod

Attached Files:

Sym-Cha likes this.
  41. NeoRutty

BOTH... then scrape it up.

I really dig that hilt!

thd9791 likes this.
  42. mugatu

I vote for black crinkle where the tape bands are.

43. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Yeah ... what mugatu said and then weather/scrape the wrinkle paint what NeoRutty said ... don't you love to have your cake and eat it too? :)

Chaim

44. thd9791

thanks for the opinions guys! I decided to go with both. I sprayed black wrinkle on those two areas and it's curing right now....desk lamp, mirrors and foil wrapped around it, to boost the heat. There a side that doesn't seem to be wrinkling, but this paint takes forever to cure. The DV saber I have, a month later seemed to have smaller wrinkles than a week after painting.

45. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I guess you followed the exact directions and sprayed in 3 different ways onto your subject before letting it cure?

Chaim

thd9791 likes this.
  46. thd9791

I did, and each direction I held it with pliers and turned it covering all sides. I think I may have missed one side during one of my 3 angles :D I went by the directions and sprayed that side again with an angle of my choosing to see if that helps. I can do it again in another couple hours, the thicker the better with this stuff.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  47. thd9791

Missed this question in passing - regretfully, the entirety of this counter is welded and sealed shut. I believe the long portion is either solid or filled with some heavy compound before being sealed, I could do some damage with this! I only have that open area, and I'm thinking I may at least put a crystal in there...maybe some reflective tape or something.

and it looks like one of those Kobold flashes was sold for $12 a while ago. Some pictures on that auction.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-034...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

my delivery date says June 18th now

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  48. thd9791

Wrinkle paint has cured for 24 hours, it looks great! check it out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Sym-Cha likes this.
  49. Luke the Belter

The wrinkle paint does look great :thumbsup
    I found working with it very hard, and removed it three time from my kobold kit until I was satisfied ;)

You really should start thinking about some lighting of the crystal chamber, now.

50. dipti

dipti Jr Member

Perfection is very important and you are doing it very well.