Tobin's Spirit Guide! (RESEARCH SIGN-UP POST 364!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tobin's Spirit Guide! (NEW sample pic pg. 4)

How About Regional monsters and Legends, i could send u info of some of my region of the world, Bolivia, South America.
LMK

How About Regional monsters and Legends, i could send u info of some of my region of the world, Bolivia, South America.
LMK

Yes please! Reposted from post 28:

I've had a few people PM me asking if I'd like to add their goul to my Tobins.

I'm happy to fill my book up with them if they're good! I need as much info as possible about them though. Important items are:

-Place of origin (or place most commonly seen)
-Traits
-Visual description
-Accounts of encounters
-Any info on followers

So if you have one you'd like to send me feel free to fire off a PM with as much info as you can get!

Sample page? SAMPLE PAGE!?!

Okay then. :)

6597958197_dd8d0ddb81_z.jpg

This is one of my complete "1 page" creatures. Most of them will probably be 1-2 pages, big ones like Gozer will have closer to 10 pages.

In this example disregard the "Class VII Corporeal Entity", I'll be giving them all proper classifications later.

Pretty cool sample page. Thanks for posting, I was trying to get a good idea of how to write about my monster. Guess I wasted some time because this isn't quite the way I did it lol.

Pretty cool sample page. Thanks for posting, I was trying to get a good idea of how to write about my monster. Guess I wasted some time because this isn't quite the way I did it lol.

Think encyclopedia entry. :)

I'll make any "voice" changes so it fits with the rest of the book. Important part is the info.

This is more of a stylistic suggestion than anything, but I think the headers and subheads would look better centered above both columns instead of centered only in the first column, and it would be stylistically appropriate for reference books of this type.

Also, I'm wondering about the use of inline images. Book printing in the 1920s would largely still have been accomplished by letterpress and so illustrations were commonly plates of their own. To me it would be more "authentic" if your illustrations were printed on the facing page.

Just some thoughts. Take them or leave them. :)

Very true, the image plates should also be on a different paper type to the rest of the book and there should be FAR less of them than I am going to include. I thought about it for a long time an had come to the conclusion that the book would be better served with this format. Thanks for the feedback though! I might see if I can do something about the headers.

You may want to look at "Error's Chains: How Forged and Broken" (1883). It is illustrated throughout, but then has a few high quality copper plate engravings on separate pages with tissue paper overlays, so you could place illustrations with the text and remain period accurate. A couple of the illustrations may even be appropriate for "Tobin's." The ones that stood out to me were:

677-Buddist "Nio" or Temple Guard
703-Festival of the Foxes
705-Driving The Devils Out Of The House On New Year's Eve With Beans

Error's chains: how forged and broken. A complete, graphic, and comparative history of the many strange beliefs, superstitious practices, domestic peculiarities, sacred writings, systems of philosophy, legends and traditions, customs and habits of ma

Last edited:

You may want to look at "Error's Chains: How Forged and Broken" (1883). It is illustrated throughout, but then has a few high quality copper plate engravings on separate pages with tissue paper overlays, so you could place illustrations with the text and remain period accurate. A couple of the illustrations may even be appropriate for "Tobin's."

Error's chains: how forged and broken. A complete, graphic, and comparative history of the many strange beliefs, superstitious practices, domestic peculiarities, sacred writings, systems of philosophy, legends and traditions, customs and habits of ma

Thanks. :)

It's certainly not unheard of for an older book to have illustrations mixed with the text but it is rare which is what LordArgyll was mentioning I think. Also, in the period between 1900 and about 1930 you had most books having their images printed on a glossier paper in separated sections.

Tobin's will have to be the exception to the rule. ;) That link BTW is FULL of great copyright free imagery! Thank you! :)

Finally off my ass and back on this. :)

Just in case anyone thought I was slacking!

Chipping away at it. :)

Mostly focusing on the images right now while some of my researchers toil on getting me info. I've found lots of great old etchings & paintings to use so I'm cleaning them up.

Just got a PM from a gentleman that includes a bunch of great entries from Bolivia that I'll be including as well! :thumbsup

I did a lot of editing over on the Ghostbusters wiki. I got about half way through the real ghostbusters. I am not sure if the main two editors there also frequent the RPF, but they are incredibly fast looking up source material, adding images, etc. Leave a message anywhere over there and they will see it and be happy to help. I will too, since I am also an avid wikipedia mythology nut. I will review that list soon and send you enough to get you to two hundy. Have to sleep now though.

I did a lot of editing over on the Ghostbusters wiki. I got about half way through the real ghostbusters. I am not sure if the main two editors there also frequent the RPF, but they are incredibly fast looking up source material, adding images, etc. Leave a message anywhere over there and they will see it and be happy to help. I will too, since I am also an avid wikipedia mythology nut. I will review that list soon and send you enough to get you to two hundy. Have to sleep now though.

If OB doesn't mind, I was hoping to mention quickly that I have two or three nice screenshots related to the Tobin that the Wikia doesn't have. If I pmed or emailed them to you, would you throw them up? I forgot why, but I had a problem signing up on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back