Tobin's Spirit Guide! (RESEARCH SIGN-UP POST 364!)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Michael Bergeron, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Folks,

About a month ago I started on this project and I thought now might be a good time to get some feedback on what I'm planning to do because eventually I'll be doing a run of these. :)

I'm creating the "definitive" Tobin's Spirit Guide. A lot of people have the RPG version of the book but I always found it disappointing. For starters it's full of RPG stuff which takes away from the feel of a real reference text. My biggest problem with it though is that it's clearly written for kids. By that I mean that the writing is cute and light hearted. Not nearly what the true volume from the films would have been or was meant to be.

I'm no stranger to printed props. In past I've done the Grail Diary, Rasputin's Spell Book, and countless other smaller items. I've even made a starting dent in the Gutenberg Bible (that dream is not dead!).

I'm creating it do be organized in a similar fashion to how the RPG Tobin's is laid out. It will have 13 sections:

1-THE COMMON TYPES OF SPIRITS
    2-CLASSIFYING A SPIRIT
    3-EGYPT AND THE DARK CONTINENT
    4-THE MIDDLE EAST
    5-THE BRITISH ISLES
    6-WESTERN EUROPE
    7-EASTERN EUROPE
    8-FORMER RUSSIAN EMPIRE
    9-SOUTH ASIA
    10-NORTH AMERICA
    11-SOUTH AMERICA
    12-FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE OTHERWORLDLY
    13-INDEX OF SPIRITS

The book will have a publishing year of 1920 so the hope is to write it as a text of that era would be written with all the predjudices of the age (hence the "Dark Continent" instead of Africa and "Former Russian Empire" instead of the Soviet Union). The idea is to include every pre-1920 ghost/spirit from all the different Ghostbusters films, games, and cartoons. For filler I'll be adding famous ghosts from other sources, both real and imagined.

I already have some help on this. dbalschi has graciously taken on the RGB ghost list and has been doing research for me sending me notes on each goul. He will be rewarded with a free Tobin's and his name in the story of his select ghost (but I won't tell, you guys will have to find it!).

Organic Mechanic has also sent me his 1950's volume of the Encyclopedia of Deamons and Witches which I will be able to pull some valuable info from.

For the presentation I have a large collection of books from that era (WW1 is one of my favourite history topics and so I have a lot of first hand accounts from 1912-1922) so I think I'll be able to make this look very accurate to what it should be.

For illustrations I'm thinking sticking with B&W ink drawings in a similar style to this gentleman's work:

Browsing deviantART

When I do finish I will be getting these professionally printed and will be using edition numbers to mark my runs. First Edition, second edition, etc. That way those who get them early can still have the feeling of exclusivity. I would LOVE to get one of these puppies signed by all four ghostbusters!

So. What are people's thoughts? Are there any pre-1920 ghosts from outside the franchise that you'd like to see in the book? Does anyone else want to help Daniel and I with research?

Any and all thoughts/criticism is appreciated! This is NOT an interest or sale thread. I'm looking for your imput. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    keysersoze30 likes this.
  2. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

Re: Tobin's Spirit Guide!

This sounds like a fantastic project. There are indeed a lot of great references on the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, throughout the series. I wish I saw this sooner as I am on the tail end of a marathon and could have provided some screenshots if I remembered which episodes showed pages of the book. It might not be too late. :lol

Def. look forward to reading up on focused, non-terminal, repeating phantasms (or class 5 full-roaming vapors) and other free-floating, full-torso, vaporous apparitions.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

PM Sent I will have you that info!

4. thegreatgalling

Here is a shot of the RGB book, which I am sure you have seen:

[​IMG]

5. thegreatgalling

6. protokev DMD

protokev DMD Sr Member

As a person who loves to have prop books i think this is a great idea.

AS a GHOSTBUSTER, Its an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING IDEA!

Im always willing to help if still needed.

When i get mine, i might try adding some post its with "notes from egon" giving some references to the episodes or such

7. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

You need Hob Anagarak, the First Demon! The critter that was frozen in Black Ice by Inuit shamans, and doing so brought about an Ice Age.

8. Michael Bergeron

Thanks for the pic & link. I've seen a lot of different resources so I couldn't tell you if I've seen them or not. :)

I chose the 1920 date based on the RPG copyright date but just a glance at your link says I should probably make it late 1920's so that we can get the Gozer stuff in 'cause we know it's in there.

For the look of the book I want to stay as true to real life as possible. This won't be a "cartoon accurate" book (although you could convert it easy enough). It will however be black with simple gold foil lettering like a true reference book of the period.

9. benhs1898

benhs1898 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, very interested in where this goes. My girlfriend would be able to help with some weird foreign ghosts like Indonesian pocongs and japanese stuff, not sure if those would be relevant.

EDIT: Btw, do you need writers/editors for this so you aren't simply cutting and pasting from real "ghost" reference books?

10. thegreatgalling

Holler if you need any help! I don't need anything in return, just glad to see this getting
    done correctly.

11. Michael Bergeron

@Protokev - You'll get a PM from me this week. :)

@Kerr - Absolutely!

@Benhs - I would absolutely love Indonesian & Japanese input! I'd like to flesh out all the different regions as much as possible. For writing I'm writing it myself, by that I mean I'm taking the reference material and giving it all a "common voice" rewriting it to fit what I need. I would be open to help in that regard but I'm really keen on the whole book reading like it was written by one person. Same with the artwork.

@TGG - You'll get a PM this week as well. :)

12. benhs1898

Good idea on the "one voice" thing. I would love to read some of what you come up with if you feel you want an editor.

I can also see if my girlfriend will help. She has an entire book about japanese ghosts. Perhaps if I get some time I could type out some of it for you.

13. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Very cool, I remember Fifthrider book from the Proptopie Forum. It includes the pages from the game...

I want to make it myself, just the easy version, print the stuff out, and bounded in black leather, thats it...

14. Cadeian

Cadeian Active Member

I think this is a wonderful idea! I'm excited to see how it turns out. Making it one of those leather-bound-stuffy-old-library-reference-styled-books is perfect :love

15. Michael Bergeron

Having an editor is never a bad thing. :) I'm still fleshing things out (have chapter 1 just about finished but think I will make some changes) so when I have a more solid base I'll look at having it reviewed.

Japanese ghosts works for me! I have a feeling that the European chapters will be the fullest so anything that beefs up other regions would be very appreciated!

16. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

More info coming your way when I get to work.

17. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'm a bit late to the party but I bet you can find ghost stories and legends from before the 1920s floating around the net. Too bad the jersey devil isn't a ghost as I've always been fascinated by that legend.

18. keysersoze30

keysersoze30 Well-Known Member

I'd be in for a first edition :cool (add me to your list when done)

not sure if I can help out in anyway, some uk ghosts perhaps, what sort of stuff do you need?

19. thegreatgalling

Well in the RGB, the book covers more than ghosts, and includes gremlins, witches, and other things that go bump in the night.

What's the legend?

20. benhs1898

Mothman maybe? My girlfriend LOOVES the mothman. She's also into some weird cryptozoology as well. I think I am going to the mothman museum. Could bring info!

21. Michael Bergeron

That's my thought as well. Perhaps putting a spiritual twist on some of the classics like witches. :)

22. spectre_general

spectre_general Member

Lovecraftean Mythos creatures? the Encyclopedia Cthulhiana is a good resource for those.

You should also have a section on the games theory involved in a town of werewolves and vampires, and what happens if things get bitey.

23. SonofJoker

SonofJoker Active Member

This sounds like an great project. I'm looking forward to the end result. Good luck!

24. benhs1898

My GF agreed to help. She can help with South Asia and South America.

25. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

This is so awesome. Can't wait to see the final product.

26. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

This has only just now popped up on my radar.

You folks will definitely want to check out the 6-episode BBC miniseries "Demons". The young Van Helsing and his crew consult various books in their vast library to reference underworld creatures. If I remember correctly, there were some really cool shots of the pages and creatures.

You might also be able to draw inspiration from Chaosium Games' "Call of Cthulhu" RPG supplements. They're quite nice for building a mental picture and feel of a region.

27. Michael Bergeron

Thanks rollerboi, I'll have to check those out. :)

28. Michael Bergeron

I've had a few people PM me asking if I'd like to add their goul to my Tobins.

I'm happy to fill my book up with them if they're good! I need as much info as possible about them though. Important items are:

-Place of origin (or place most commonly seen)
    -Traits
    -Visual description
    -Accounts of encounters
    -Any info on followers

So if you have one you'd like to send me feel free to fire off a PM with as much info as you can get!

My HOPE is to finish the book in time for Christmas next year. Halloween would be awesome but we'll see...

This thread will also serve as a public fire under my butt to get it done!

29. Mr.Spider

Mr.Spider Well-Known Member

Make sure to include the were-chicken ; ) lol not a tobins without evil undead chickens

30. Michael Bergeron

Wouldn't miss it! :lol

31. Gideon Vanguard

Gideon Vanguard Well-Known Member

Were-chickens are nice and all but I tend to prefer poultrygeist myself.

How about entries for a haint, geist, or gast?

32. Rogue

Rogue Active Member

I don't know if you've checked the comics, but I seem to remember the GB comics (when they first came out - still sad that I lost the first edition badge :( ) had regular entries from Tobin's Spirit Guide with Egon's own notes as well. If you can get access to any of those it might be a good reference for you.

33. Michael Bergeron

I'll have to look into the comics then! Sometime soon I'll post a list of entries that we're working on so that people can suggest additions.

34. benhs1898

My girlfriend will type a bunch of stuff once she's done with finals, she's actually pretty excited about this since it'll be a pretty legitimate reference book about the supernatural.

35. Michael Bergeron

AWESOME! If she could keep in mind:

-Place of origin (or place most commonly seen)
    -Traits
    -Visual description
    -Accounts of encounters
    -Any info on followers

That would be fantastic (I know not all those are applicable to all ghouls).

36. benhs1898

She definitely has all of that. One of my favorite is the traditional Japanese ghost that is a girl with her lower jaw ripped off. Apparently, in Japanese culture, wearing a veil over your mouth frightens people as it refers to this ghost.

37. Michael Bergeron

That sounds like just the thing we want in the book! :D

38. Michael Bergeron

Alright folks, LONG post here...

Here's a list of things that go bump in the night from the various Ghostbusters sources that I believe warrant entries in the book:

Gozer the Gozarian
    Azetlor the Destroyer (also known as Edmund Hoover)
    Vigo
    Djinn
    Bigfoot
    The Bird of Kildarby
    The Ghost of Christmas Past
    Werechicken
    Lord Angus Kildarby
    The Ghost of Christmas Present
    Mee Krah
    War
    The Ghost of Christmas Future
    The Ghostmaster
    The Boogaloo
    Famine
    Malachai
    Ulyoth
    The Servant
    Pestilence
    Captain Jack Higgins
    Borr
    Spiderlegs
    Death
    Domovoi
    Nurgoth
    Makeoverus Lotsabucks
    Charon
    Ghouls
    The Collector
    Old One
    Sir Bruce Sans Pitié
    Goblins
    Heck House
    Unicorn
    Water Elemental
    Gorgar
    Barrow Wight
    Valkyries
    The Ghost of Professor James Moriarty
    Guggenheim
    The Ghost of Casey Jones
    The Color from Beyond Space
    Kestrel
    Chicoloni
    Imp
    Morgannan
    Shifter
    Foul Grungy
    Nexa
    Loki
    Pozo
    Kishnar
    Undines
    The Earps
    The Harbinger of Ragnarok
    The Judge
    Anshar
    Doc Holliday
    Gremlin
    The Prosecutor
    The Slob
    The Sleaze
    The Foster Hearse Ghost
    Banshee
    Netherworld Jailers
    The Glob
    The Ghost of Harry Houdini
    Siren
    Black Bart
    Spriggan
    The Three Fates
    Quoatle
    The Undying One
    Werewolf
    Slimer
    Count Von Blukenpurken
    Marduk
    Vampire
    Aargon
    Tiamat
    Nathaniel Gregor
    Watt
    Ab Sai
    The Wrath of Ta Odd
    Drool
    Hob Anagarok
    Lothgar
    Dib Devlin
    Simon Quegg
    The Grundel
    Orlox
    The Master of Shadows
    The Dark Rider
    Killerwatt
    Uncle Horace
    Arzun
    Cathulhu
    Ghash
    Robo-Buster
    Tolay
    Shuggoth
    Alpha Trolls
    Paul Smart
    Dragons
    Deep One
    Common Trolls
    Mountain Trolls
    Victor
    He Who Walks for all Others
    The Boogieman
    Count Ivan Vostok
    The Headless Horseman
    The Sandman
    The Phantom
    The Unspeakable
    Samhain
    The Entity from Beyond
    Boghound

POTENTIAL ADDED GHOULS:

Springheel Jack
    4 Horseman of the Apocalypse
    Valkyrie
    Taranis
    Baba Yaga
    Tooth Fairies (Hellboy based)
    Beetlejuice
    Vashta Nerada (Shadow monsters from Dr. Who)

Any here that you think shouldn't be there based on a 1928 publishing date? Any that you think should be added?

This list obviously needs to be supplemented with other sources. I'm looking for real ghouls of the past as well as other fictional ones. Feel free to post your ideas! If you're able to give me details on the suggestion all the better!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  39. leafman

leafman Well-Known Member

You've got Louis Tully on there, did you mean to put Vince Clortho? Also Zuul and Evo Shandor are missing.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  40. Michael Bergeron

Whoops, He must have been on a list a grabbed, removed now!

Ivo Shandor is still alive at the publishing date but he will be mentioned in the Gozer entry.

What do we think, should Vince & Zuul have their own entries or only be in the Gozer entry?

41. TheStig

TheStig Active Member

How about adding Springheel Jack to book? I can do some research and PM it to you. I always found it creepy. He was apparently some sort of boogeyman in 1800s London. He would leap around and shot blue flames out of his mouth is some stories I read.

42. protokev DMD

protokev DMD Sr Member

One thing i might suggest is some renaming...would a book in the 20s refer to something as killerwatt? Most of the others seem ok, but that one stood out a bit.

43. Michael Bergeron

Fair point. Most of these characters will have multiple names so I think "killerwatt" might be in there somewhere but I'd have to think of a better official name for the entry. :)

Send me the info and he's in! :thumbsup

44. torren_of_amber

torren_of_amber Active Member

Just out of curiosity. Are you going to put traditional things in here as well? Like the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse, or the Viking great Serpent that comes with Ragnarok, and things of this nature? Just a thought. Later Brothers, T

45. Michael Bergeron

Yep:

:)

46. torren_of_amber

torren_of_amber Active Member

That's cool as there are lots of cool subjects that could be listed. Ex. Valkyrie's, Fate's, Furies, Taranis (Celtic), Poltergists (general listings), Baba Yaga, Possession (different types), Demons, Angels, Ghost Lights, different gods pantheons (Egyptian, Greek, Indian, Norse, etc) are some additional things I have thought of recently. If I think of any more I will post them for you. Later, T

47. protokev DMD

protokev DMD Sr Member

Might be my dental background, but a tooth fairy might be interesting.

48. Michael Bergeron

Started adding to the list. Keep 'em coming and if you're willing to send me research on your ghoul(s) I'll put you in the book somewhere as a thank you. :)

Protokev, if you can think of something clever for a Tooth Fairy entry give it a shot! :lol

Also, PM coming your way as one of the resident GB experts...

49. berger

berger Sr Member

you could base it off the tooth faries from hellboy.

50. Michael Bergeron

That's actually a really good idea. Terrifying little buggers! Added. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.