Tired of Mjolnir threads? How About Storm Breaker

THEWRAPOFCONS

Just finished this sucker up, still have some filling to do but other than that its done. I have seen many Mjolnir threads but none on the other 2 Uru Hammers, Here is Storm Breaker, I'm working on Thunderstrike.

Stormbreaker2.JPG

StormBreaker.JPG

Curses. You beat me to it.

I am in the "putty/sand/primer/curse/putty/sand/primer"-stage of my Stormbreaker now. At least there'll be a thread for me to post in.

Nice job, BTW. Care to divulge the making of said Uru?

I made the head and the very end on my wood Lathe. The rest is just a PVC pipe. I am going to paint it a really cool pearlesiant gold color in the end. I wpould love to see pics of yours.

Well I couldn't wait to do the build-up on the blog before I posted this **EXCLUSIVE** RPF look at my newly completed Stormbreaker. :rolleyes

Final.jpg

This hammer had some really complex curves and shapes...I'm sure Walt Simonson never built this before he drew it. I used drawings from "The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill" trade paperback for reference (particularly a nice profile shot of it on the title page.) and built it in the same method (and scale) I used for Mjolnir. Surprisingly, the handle is very short in comparison and would barely be big enough for two of Beta Ray Thor's big space-monster hands.

Final2.jpg

I actually built two of these, trying out different building approaches to achieve the head shape. Perhaps one day I'll use the lathe method like THEWRAPOFCONS....it seems much easier.

Build up photos will be on the blog this weekend.

Wow. :eek That looks incredible. I'm going to take a stab at that one too, it looks so cool next to Mjolnir. I'll save my questions about the materials you used and stuff since I'm sure it'll all be there on the blog. GREAT WORK.

Both fantastic hammers, and will make an excellent display.
Will Thunderstrike be following soon?
Also lots of other great stuff on your build blog.
-Brin

I just finished the build-up / tutorial for Stormbreaker on the site. Because of questions I've gottten on previous entries, I got more specific on sizes and included my PDF template for those interested in making their own.

Great tutorial Squirrel. Definitely looks like a lot of work (especially since I'm not a fan of sanding.) but it looks too good next to Mjolnir. I'll have to give it a try, at least.

Thanks for awesome build up...

-kyle

I know this is an old thread, but I went looking for Stormbreaker builds after seeing so many Mjolnir threads and found this.
Looks great and so does your Mjolnir.
Just wondering... Did you ever make Thunderstrike?
If so I would love to see it too.

I know this is an old thread, but I went looking for Stormbreaker builds after seeing so many Mjolnir threads and found this.
Looks great and so does your Mjolnir.
Just wondering... Did you ever make Thunderstrike?
If so I would love to see it too.

I never did a Thunderstrike. I stopped reading Thor shortly after the Walt Simonson run ended so I'm only tangentially familiar with that hammer.

I suspect I will be tempted into making a Mjolnir for the new movie....

The Stormbreaker is great naturally, but I am AMAZED by your Mjolnir. Easily the best one I've ever seen and I'm a 25 year Marvel Zombie. Kudos man. Too many people fall into that trap of weathering the hammers, or making them look like stone. It's a weapon created by the king of the gods, it would be perpetually shiny and new. I realize that's probably a little fanboyish, but it's just personal preference as to why I like yours so much.

Both those hammers do look great. Stormbreaker is breathtaking.

Wicked would hate the new version of Mjolnir I just created - even more weatherd than my first attempt. I can understand his logic behind the hammer being perpetually new but for the record (cause I'm a total fanboy), it wasn't built by the gods, but for the gods. The dwarven blacksmiths, Brok and Etri forged the hammer by Odin's request. Also the hammer can and has been damaged many times in the past. Thor has been shown doing the repairs himself on occassion.

If I ever do a a Stormbreaker it will look shiney and new since that hammer is only a couple decades old vs. Mjolnir who is thousands of years old.

Both those hammers do look great. Stormbreaker is breathtaking.

Wicked would hate the new version of Mjolnir I just created - even more weatherd than my first attempt. I can understand his logic behind the hammer being perpetually new but for the record (cause I'm a total fanboy), it wasn't built by the gods, but for the gods. The dwarven blacksmiths, Brok and Etri forged the hammer by Odin's request. Also the hammer can and has been damaged many times in the past. Thor has been shown doing the repairs himself on occassion.

If I ever do a a Stormbreaker it will look shiney and new since that hammer is only a couple decades old vs. Mjolnir who is thousands of years old.

Oh believe me I don't hate ANY attempt at creating comic book props. I love to see people's different takes on the props, because fanboy or not different artists over the years have had different takes on everything from the weapons and costumes, to the characters themselves. I understand that a lot of people will base their stuff on the classic Walt Simonson Thor issues with the weathered hammer, this one just happens to be my favorite specifically because it doesn't conform to the standard.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back