Time Bandits Map of the Universe

He's special.

Apparently, there's a file size limitation for avatars. Dug out my ancient Photoshop file, re-learned how to make it an animated gif on CC 2018, and voila.

Last edited:
breakfstmachine How's the map progress?

Thanks for asking, jheilman ! It’s coming along nicely.

As you all know, these types of projects are often at the mercy of the rest of our life’s responsibilities, and must work with the ebb and flow of day jobs, family life, and other creative pursuits. I knew when I started this project it was a marathon, not a sprint.

I had been chipping away at many of details required for this map, and right at the end of 2018, I sent off for a test print on medium weight canvas to check and see how it is looking. It’s a hard truth that these projects can’t live on your computer screen and the printing process can reveal a lot about the work.

I’m pretty happy with the progress. Take a look:

upload_2019-2-17_21-9-24.jpeg

upload_2019-2-17_21-9-24.jpeg

upload_2019-2-17_21-9-25.jpeg

upload_2019-2-17_21-9-25.jpeg

It’s a test print, mostly for color, contrast, and clarity. This print is immediately illuminating and I’ve updated my artwork accordingly.

Couple thoughts:
  • Color and contrast of the “nebula” background layer needs to be adjusted.
  • Color and contrast of the blue “time topography” needs to be adjusted.
  • Saturation of the “Hyle Triangles” in the upper and lower right needs to be lowered.
  • Haven't "stenciled" in the script around the two main rings yet. (can you see the pink temp script?)
  • The Clocks look great, but I see a couple that need work.
  • In one of the screenshots from the film, you can see some writing next to the clocks- tried to recreate that…and I don’t really like the result. Will try something else.
There’s no weathering added to the map yet, though I will start experimenting with different scenic treatments soon. I want to print the assumed “white” on the map, then tint it with the weathering process. Besides a scenic treatment, there will be some physical weathering required to get some of the wear patterns that we can see in the film.

You can also see that the Eclipse/Pyramid Diagram in the lower left is lifted from the Blu Ray insert map. This element has remained a total mystery to me for the last few years. I've looked everywhere and found a lot of promising reference, but nothing that's a dead ringer. This likely means, not totally surprisingly, that it was a collaged element from different sources. This is the last big element that I need to lock down.

Anyway, that’s where I’m at. I alternate between feeling good about the progress, but also feeling like there is a galaxy of work left to do. Hope to have more to share in the next few weeks!

Correct. That's true. You only see a glimpse of the drawing when the map is rolled up at the end of the film before the credits. That's it though.

Hi. I noticed your account avatar. I read Splinter of the Mind's Eye back when it first came out. It's not Canon, but it's still cool, and details the FIRST time that Luke Skywalker DIES.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread. Such awesome work. I’m following now to stay updated. I’ve always loved that map.

Sean

Hi, I would like to make my own map just for fun. I´ve seen more or less all the available maps and there great works of art.
Good job you guys. But I´m not interested in just buying something. I will make it myself like it was in the movie.

I´m very interested in the original film maps / props. Does someone know where they are or who have them?
Are they exist any more?

An other thing I´m thinking about is that for me the hero map in the movie does not look like it´s printed on, the way we make them today. How was the original made? Maybe partly screen printed? Or was it maybe paper glued on canvas like an old School map?

What information do we have on the original prop? I read somewhere that it was maybe made by Terry Gilliam himself. Why should that be the case? the movie was directed, produced and written by him, so where was the time for him to design and make such an elaborated piece of prop?

It must have been made by Valerie Charlton and her crew, or not? (The Pythons, a Jabberwocky, and me – Village Raw)

Last edited:
I had always wanted this map back when the film came out. Its great to see your work, and know others have made them. One day I will try and get one from someone. Wish that the original artwork from the prop department were just available somehow.

Hi CraftyLaszlo! Thanks for the nudge.

Here's a quick update, but probably not a satisfactory one:
1.) I made a ton of adjustments to the color and contrast and some of the unfinished elements since I made the test print in February. For instance, the background was adjusted significantly, as well as the clock panels.
2.) In May, my computer hard drive crashed! I lost a small amount of work (backup your hard drives, kids!) but between the frustration of migrating to a new computer smashed my productivity.

Additionally, my full-time job picked up considerably, so my progress has slowed. And it's so close! I'm glad people still care about this prop and I am excited to carve out some time over the holidays to get closer to finishing.

I really would like to see your version of the map, too. My projects often take some time, too.
I chickenend out of my own map build and bought a map from MetropolisGrafix on Etzy last month. I’m living in Germany, so it will take some time to get here. The tracking information shows that it’s started three weeks ago in Greenwood IL and it’s in Chicago now. When it arrives I would like to weather it like in the movie.

Timo - That's from me. Sorry to say that international shipmets are taking a crazy amount of time. Like 4-6 weeks. But thanks for the order.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back