Thorssoli's Ironman MkIII Build - Finished Suit Pics Page 26!!

Re: Just What This Forum Needs: Another Ironman Build

I think it was Don Juan or made007 who used guitar wire or piano wire or something to link their finger segments together. Personally I think it's a little overkill but if you have the time and patience then more power to you!

Last edited by a moderator:

I did mine with guitar wires, but the first i saw doing that was Steve Hird aka robosteve, i got the idea from him

Is it too late to put in a vote for the darker color? It looks much better IMHO...

Is it too late to put in a vote for the darker color? It looks much better IMHO...

I'm starting to lean that way. It looks good, it's screen accurate, and I suppose I'm willing to cope with the folks who want to give me grief about my plurple ironman armor. Plus, I think it'll look a heck of a lot better with a satin clearcoat instead of the gloss I put on the helmet. I'll still probably finish my Rustoleum Colonial Red suit first though.

Yesterday was a bunch of sanding and filling, so it didn't end up looking like progress. I've got myself set up with a bucket seat, a box of parts that need work on my left, and a box of parts that I've already sanded on my right:

That, and a huge pile of poisonous dust and loaded-up sandpaper.

In addition to a metric butt-ton of sanding, I also went ahead and glassed the knees in place on top of the shins:

And I pulled a couple more copies of the boot uppers:

During a sanding break, I decided to experiment with reconfiguring the waist section. Here it is after I'd put in the corset lacing and cut off the top and bottom rows of plates:

It fits much better without the bottom row, but I should not have cut the top row off. If I lean forward, it leaves a visible gap in the back. Oops.

The second one will be much better:

If I'm right, I'll have everything in primer today. Stay tuned...

Say that's a nice iron corset. Money is to be had with this one. But seriously though, that will be covered with plates right...GM

Looks like it won't be easy to get into this suit by yourself. Hmm, I wonder how many friends I have that won't mind helping me to be better dressed than they are...

...seriously though, that will be covered with plates right...GM

These plates:

Better? Here's another shot:

Yesterday was all about finish sanding and priming things. So now every spare square inch of horizontal surface has armor parts on it:

The same goes for the not-horizontal spaces like the edge of the trashcan:

and hooks hanging from strings on the rafters:

And the edges of boxes on the floor:

And any place I could hook a bar clamp:

Once I was done with the priming, I picked up my first pair of these guys from my metal fabricator:

Today I'll be cleaning them up a bit, but they look the part. I'll also be spraying basecoats on the all-red parts and gold onto the parts that need gold. Stay tuned...

Awh those lower leg parts.. so slim and booooootifull :O dude i love how slim everything is too your body, really looks great !

I'm going ahead with the least expensive color for my first finished suit. The Merlot Red is really growing on me, but I just want to knock one out really quick and see how everything looks assembled, so I've basecoated everything in Colonial Red:

I also decided that the aluminum collarbone pieces needed to be shinier. Polishing them up worked out to be a welcome mindless distraction yesterday afternoon. Here's a "before and after" shot:

Here's a closeup of the finish after a quick sanding:

I was aiming for a brushed metal finish, so 150-grit sanding was probably enough:

Then I got curious to see what they'd look like after a 220-grit sanding:

Since I was on a roll, I pulled out a piece of 400-grit paper and smoothed them out even further:

Unable to help myself, I graduated to 600-grit:

When the sickness had fully taken hold, I had sanded them down to a 1500-grit just to be sure:

I stopped myself before I started digging around for the microfiber cloth or the buffing compounds. Still, shiny:

I think they'll work:

I texted a picture of the polished parts off to the fabricator that made them for me and he said, "you wanted them polished? I could've just put them in the tumbler for you."

Jerk.

Once I was done with that, I went ahead and moved my parts inside to avoid any early morning dew:

So that's that. Today's goal is to mask everything as needed and spray the gold parts. The paint I'm using will set up pretty quickly, so I should be able to put the clearcoat on everything tonight. I'm using an automitive clearcoat to make the pieces as scratch-resistant as possible.

Stay tuned...

As always, great work Sean,

I was looking through the Art of Iron Man and like you said you were leaning towards the Merlot red, well , that's the closest colour they show in the varied reds covered in the book, not sure of you've got 'The Art of Iron Man' but that seems the way to go for that deeper more Merlot/ cherry' Red. As for code, I haven't got one sadly. I picked a colour from a swat of colour cards. I was going to go with a satin finish as well like you spoke about but I was advised to go with a gloss, which now I'm glad of, if the satin scratches, then you're faced with polishing it to then have a shiny spot, but that's just me.

Your suits looking killer mate, really looking forward to you all suited up as I know it's going to fit like a glove.

...really looking forward to you all suited up as I know it's going to fit like a glove.

A hard, poky, pinchy, fiberglass glove...

You're probably right about the gloss clearcoat. Now that I'm thinking about it a bit more, I'll probably go that route.

yeah it'll be a hard restrictive glove I know it. I've found the same, this MK3 is a close fit, I've managed to get into my mid lower torso and mines hard fiberglass resin too, I could of gone the rubber route but over time I know it would crease and crack the paint. Whether I'll be able to move well in it remains to be seen, at least we'll look good as statues maybe ;)

GOOOOOOOOOOLLD!!!

Blackwash:

Parts laid out for clearcoat:

There's something like 121 separate castings in one suit:

Here's the chest before clearcoat:

Here it is after the clearcoat:

Spraying Clear:

Overhead parts drying:

Other parts drying:

Shiny!

I think the gloss and the dark outlines made it look plasticy and cartoony... rather than solid and realistic. :unsure

I think the gloss and the dark outlines made it look plasticy and cartoony... rather than solid and realistic. :unsure

I've gotta agree with FatMan on this, the black is too bold.
I'm probably wrong though, it could look great when the whole thing is together; but generally the 40k Space Marine style of weathering doesn't look so great on a 'realistic' build like Iron Man

Suit is looking great! Can't wait to see it all be put together. The colors makes it unique compared to so many other iron man suits.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back