this story is based on true events...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by EyeofSauron, Apr 20, 2012.

1. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

well, i just saw a movie, that said in the beginning: this movie is based on true events, and lets just say: thats not possible. im not gonna go in details here

is there no rule for this? can you simply slap that on a movie even if its utter bull? id like to hear your oppinions

2. Boogeyman13

Boogeyman13 Sr Member

It's probably based on true events like Texas Chainsaw Massacre is based on true events. They took a couple generic things that may have actually happened, and then built a completely fictional story around it.

3. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Key word is "based". They can get away with anything.

4. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

I saw a movie that stated that:

Based on a true story. Except the parts that ain't.

Or something like that. Classy way of doing it methinks.

5. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

There are those times where the idea that the film is true is actually central to the plot, even though nothing in the film was ever true. A lot of the "found footage" movies rely on this. But there's usually a big difference between implying that it's true and flat-out saying that it's true when it isn't.

Let's throw caution to the wind here... what movie are you talking about?

6. LMFAOSchwarz

LMFAOSchwarz Sr Member

I suppose it's a bit like saying 'made from natural and other ingredients'.

7. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Is it about Epic Beard Man?

Kevin

8. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Look at cop shows like Law and Order, they take tiny snippets from the news and rework it so that while inspired/based it really has little in common with it.

9. usconcept

usconcept Well-Known Member

This was Domino :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

10. Doh2

Doh2 Sr Member

My favorite use of this was in Return of the Living Dead:

"The events portrayed in this film are all true. The names are real names of real people and real organizations."

11. Contec

Contec Master Member

In the end credits they always have that ""The persons, incidents and situations portrayed in this movie are fictional. Any resemblance to actual persons, incidents, and situations is coincidental and accidental."
    Why do they have that if the movie is based on True events.... Even if the "based on" line is jiffy then it pretty clear that it still Based on an actual incidents and persons and that it is NOT coincidental and accidental.

12. Too Much Garlic

No, it was Burke & Hare

13. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  14. Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan Active Member

My favorite is "Perfect Storm"

If they lost radio contact with them right after they left, everything after that would be speculation.

What they do know?
    A boat left port
    There was a storm
    It never came back

Lets make a movie!

Might as well of had them fighting pirates on a ghost ship.

15. MaulWalker

MaulWalker Sr Member

For those of you old enough to remember, there is "Ripley's Believe It Or Not!". Ripley's never claimed everything was true, some of it fell into the "Not".

16. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

In "based on actual events" movies, that line doesn't usually appear in the credits.

17. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Well, that's why they included the otherwise unrelated storyline of the small sail yacht. Mark Bowden could interview the survivors and extrapolate what sort of conditions the fishermen would've been facing in the teeth of the storm and combine that with what were likely stories of things other men working that area of the sea had encountered (the shark, the guy getting his hand hooked and pulled overboard).

I've not read the book (it's on my to-read list) but I don't think anyone actually ever says "this is exactly what happened to these guys".

18. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They can't translate books or short stories into movies without changing the story, so I usually have very low expectations for "based on a true story".

19. NoTsOsErIoUs

NoTsOsErIoUs Well-Known Member

It's a pretty meaning less turn of phrase used by the industry far too often.
    I mean any film you can think of no matter how obviously outlandish and fantastical can have a plot that uses actual events as a "Base". A base to build on and nothing more.

As for disclaimers the best has to be An American Werewolf in London

"Any reference to actual persons living, dead or undead is purely coincidental".

20. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

In a town where they make scripted reality shows. You can't take much stock in movies based on true events.

What's sad is so many people think things shown on film is real(without the statement, "based on true events").

21. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

This reminds me of the Twitter trend recently of people who didn't know Titanic was real because it was a film.

Of course, I think this was more of a case of "Let's mess with the media" because I can't fathom anybody not knowing that there was an actual ship called Titanic.

22. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

In a word, yes. The Coen brothers' movie Fargo had a title card that said "Based on a true story"; it wasn't.

You'd be surprised at how much nonsense the American public will believe. :lol

23. usconcept

usconcept Well-Known Member

My favorite is actually when its based on another movie..

But it'll just say "Based on xxx".. and it turns out being scene for scene...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

24. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Apollo 13-----THE SPECTRUM-----Braveheart

25. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

I can. I've known people who didn't remember extremely popular television shows from 20 years ago, let alone a historical event that occurred 100 years ago.

Considering the media blitz that accompanied the 100th anniversary of Titanic's sinking, these days most people are more aware of it; this wasn't the case when the movie was released in 1997. Especially here in America, where it seems most people don't care about anything that doesn't directly affect their daily lives or somehow fall within their narrow spectrum of interests.

26. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Return of the Living Dead says based on true events before it starts lol

27. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

Even in "reality TV," there isn't much reality.

That goes for the "News" as well.

28. Too Much Garlic

I got **** from saying the ship sank when coming out of the theatre. Seriously. Some people. :behave

29. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

"Fire in the Sky" has "Based on a true story." after the opening credits. You know... the UFO abduction movie?

Just saying.

Kevin

30. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed."
    Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

There aren't too many people who get their daily "news" from reading a newspaper these days, but if you update the quote to include any and all modern news media it still holds true.

31. p51

p51 Sr Member

I know it's bordering on blasmphemy to suggest this, but "Flight 93" is about the same thing. The plane was hijacked, they have some cell calls on what the people on the plane were thinking of doing, and the black box recordings. Really, there's nothing else to tell you what really went down in that plane, yet they made a movie about that as well.

32. Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan Active Member

I feel the same way about that one. Just a way to make a quick buck off a tragedy.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  33. punisher

punisher Sr Member

Its like the strangers, it said based on true events, but in audio commentary the true event that inspired it was someone knocking on the directors house in the middle of the night and no one was there. WOW. So saying that, does it mean if you are doing something, lets say; pooping, and you imagine a story about outer space pirate fighting boats, could you the story as inspired by real life events?

34. deadbolt

deadbolt Sr Member

Fargo was another one of those films with a dialog at the beginning saying it was a true story portrayed just as it happened, except the names were changed. But of course it turned out to be mostly fiction and very loosely based on other true incidences kinda like Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Either way Fargo's still a great film fictional or not. :thumbsup

-Carson

35. NormanF

How to make a movie "based on a true story/book/short story": Summarize the original story in a couple of sentences, maybe a paragraph at the most, and then start filling in the details with whatever sounds good.

36. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Most school grads can't even find their own state on a map so this doesn't shock me.

37. Davard74

Davard74 Member

That's my take on it. Any story / movie is based in the reality that it was thought up in someones head. Right? The "true" event is that someone thought of it. I've never seen some thing that say based on true event, and those events are this ____. The Night of the Living dead thing is based on the true events of the writer putting thoughts on paper. That really happened! :facepalm

38. Too Much Garlic

Actually... a movie can put anything in the front of it - it is the disclaimer in the end titles that matters regarding fact or fiction.

This is Denmark I'm talking about.

39. NormanF

According to Shakespeare, Denmark is a state.

40. Too Much Garlic

Yes, but I doubt Wes R was talking about Danish school grads. .)

41. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Blair Witch Project. Marketed as real.

Real is just a marketing term.

A few months ago a judge ruled businesses are people. Yes, a business has the same rights as a person. And you wonder about movies?