Thinning out the edges on silicone prosthetic

TheGenuineJFK

Hello,
I'm very new here, but I thought this might be a good place to go with my question. I've got a silicone prosthetic but the edges are too thick to blend in properly to my skin at about 1/4 to 1/2 of a cm at various parts. Is there any way I could trim them? can I use a dremel on silicone?
Thank you.

For bad edges with silicone, you’re better off using a product like Skin Tite from Smooth-on to build and blend an edge, rather than trying to modify the existing edges.

Last edited:
For bad edges with silicone, you’re better off using a product like Skin Tite from Smooth-on to build and blend an edge, rather than trying to modify the exiting edges.
Thank you!
I would have to apply that each time though, correct? Is there any way to make a more permanent tapered edge?

Thank you!
I would have to apply that each time though, correct? Is there any way to make a more permanent tapered edge?

I suppose with a super fresh piece you could lay it on the positive or on wax paper and build that edge with the skin tite.. it may survive application a few times.

To get good edges that you can disolve and blend into the skin you need to "Encapsulate" the silicone with Super Baldiez ..... Presuming you've checked how to sculpt and mould the parts properly (check out youtube tutorials)you can move onto the next stage.

Gets some Vaseline into the mould... heat it up with a hair drier to liquify the Vaseline and brush into all the details.... You thin the Baldiez with alcohol 75%Alc to 25%Bal and airbrush it into a silicone or fibreglass mould (10 layers). You then mix the a and b parts of the Silicone with Deadner 40%Sil to 60% Deadner.... inject or press into the material into mould... when its cured remove from mould.

You should have a thin skin like layer of Encapsulate over the silicone.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back