Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I am trying to think…could AI produce entertainment that is equal to the high standards of quality that humans currently produce?

Teach Me Super Hero GIF by Marvel Studios

Yeah…I think it could.

Did someone see my post, above?

This reminds me of my dad's advice about crabbing at the docks. If you get a seal fighting you for the bait in the net, just cut the line. They are more likely to attack you as you try to get your net back. It just isn't worth it....
20230511_164404.jpg

To be fair, if I'm not mistaken, the Navy uses scenes like that themselves in past recruiting videos and I think that the Corps has done the same to showcase (Force) Recon and Raiders.
But the existence of even more examples of the same makes it ever more redundant as a trope. Thus the title of this thread. We had a guy who would go full gear and float around in the water hazard at the local golf course and dive for lost balls to sell at the shack. That wasn't cool, it was just weird. He would come up out of the pond and just watch people go by.... I would have loved to see less of that.

There's a video on Youtube where they had a Navy SEAL (Jocko something or other) reviewing SEAL movies. He even laughed at that Act of Valor movie, which used real SEALs and special boat units. Specifically the scene where they snipe the guy on the dock and have two SEALs in the water to catch the guy so he doesn't make a splash. He said at that range they would have heard the shot before the splash.

I am trying to think…could AI produce entertainment that is equal to the high standards of quality that humans currently produce?

Teach Me Super Hero GIF by Marvel Studios

Yeah…I think it could.
Seeing this reminds me of something I'm sick of seeing in movies: CGI characters where a mix of prosthetics and clever set/camera use would suffice (and probably not only look better, but be cheaper). Also sick of the reverse. You mostly see in lazy nostalgia grabs, but forcing practical effects when the effect just looks awful and cheap. Some things in the 80s were done out of necessity and were endearing because we were children. When a multibillion dollar company chooses a cheap rod puppet over an actually good looking effect for the sake of frugality and nostalgia, it's not a good look. She-Hulk could have been easily accomplished with prosthetics, face paint, and camera tricks. Instead she looks like a video game cutscene. Meanwhile, this just looked terrible. I've seen better from people on here working in their garage.
babu-frik-hehey.gif

Magic in movies like Harry Potter and Doctor Strange devolves into just shooting energy beams out of their hands. They seem to ignore all of their magic spells and become generic superheroes instead of magicians. Multiverse of Madness did try to incorporate some new twists, but there's still too little creativity in the "magic" seen in these types of battles onscreen.

Magic in movies like Harry Potter and Doctor Strange devolves into just shooting energy beams out of their hands. They seem to ignore all of their magic spells and become generic superheroes instead of magicians. Multiverse of Madness did try to incorporate some new twists, but there's still too little creativity in the "magic" seen in these types of battles onscreen.
In fairness to Harry Potter, his overuse of the Disarming spell is pointed out as a crutch in the books.

But the "laser beam effects" do bother me in the Potterverse. In the early Harry Potter movies, different spells had different visual effects, like in the books. Some spells sparkled, some made flashes, or beams, or no effect at all. By the end, Harry Potter movies were like watching a laser light show where every color was either red or green. Though I am glad the later movies got rid of the whistling sound effect added to every spell in the third movie.

In fairness to Harry Potter, his overuse of the Disarming spell is pointed out as a crutch in the books.

But the "laser beam effects" do bother me in the Potterverse. In the early Harry Potter movies, different spells had different visual effects, like in the books. Some spells sparkled, some made flashes, or beams, or no effect at all. By the end, Harry Potter movies were like watching a laser light show where every color was either red or green. Though I am glad the later movies got rid of the whistling sound effect added to every spell in the third movie.

Probably the easiest way to portray a spell "working" to the movie audience is with a light show, especially in a large scale fight. Plus, the Marvel films were hitting full steam by then so audiences "expected(?)" laser beams and explosions with their action.

Last edited:
It would be quite appreciated to see an immediate effect spell that didn't have to be aimed and couldn't be shield blocked. It is magic. It doesn't need to physically manifest and then travel between point a and b.

But blewis17 is right and it is likely due to screen presentation of large fight scenes, so there isn't the focus on the magic being prepped and then the closeup of the unblockable and invisible effect taking hold. I have the distinct feeling that riceball would agree (always has a good grasp of why for screenplay choices).

I agree, with some enthusiasm, that it begs the question "Who needs Hokey religions and ancient weapons when you have a good blaster at your side."

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back