The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

(still wonders why ComicCon doesn't have a certain sponsor, or maybe they do....)

Nerds.jpg

I’m in line too and will buy AS MANY of these as I’m allowed by TWC - not to resell for profit, but rather to have a stock for all us and future builders to play with.

TWC makes incredible reproductions - I’m fairly certain their TOS Tricorder will prove fertile ground for future builders. Pretty excited about that.

And you buying 10 means 9 other people won’t be able to get one.
False. We’re not talking about Fabergé eggs. Like their TOS phaser and communicator, TWC isn’t making a limited number of these. They’ll make as many as the market initially demands. Remember when Best Buy had TWC’s phasers and communicator stacked high for retail sale (which were both later discounted to $99 each)?

False. We’re not talking about Fabergé eggs. Like their TOS phaser and communicator, TWC isn’t making a limited number of these. They’ll make as many as the market initially demands. Remember when Best Buy had TWC’s phasers and communicator stacked high for retail sale (which were both later discounted to $99 each)?
There will be a limited number produced. The phaser and communicator are out of production and you can only get them on eBay now for greatly inflated prices.

If it were a Medical tricorder, just scan for Covid and plot the appropriate trajectory. This one is looking to be a Science tricorder though. Now....in order to FULLY complete the landing party set, TWC really needs to produce a 1:1 scale transporter pad and console, fully-functional, of course!

If it were a Medical tricorder, just scan for Covid and plot the appropriate trajectory. This one is looking to be a Science tricorder though. Now....in order to FULLY complete the landing party set, TWC really needs to produce a 1:1 scale transporter pad and console, fully-functional, of course!
I'm so relieved we're not nerds after all. :p

you buying 10 means 9 other people won’t be able to get one. ... There will be a limited number produced. The phaser and communicator are out of production and you can only get them on eBay now for greatly inflated prices.
Jim brought his concerns here to the attention of TWC. Chris was again very generous in responding to them. So that no one else gets upset by the idea of a single individual making multiple purchases, here is the full exchange from TWC's Update #4 Comment Section:

Jim:
Chris and Richard

There are already people on the prop forums saying they’re going to buy as many Tricorders as possible. I really hope you limit these to one per customer (at least in the initial run) to give as many people as possible a chance to own this awesome replica.
Chris:
Please don’t worry, there will be a pre-order window that will tell us how many to make to meet genuine demand. As you might have gathered, the tricorder is a very important product for us. As fans ourselves, the whole user experience is something we will do our very best to get right all along the line, as you can see, starting with how it looks, then how it works and feels all the way through to the purchase experience and beyond. If everyone that wants one is able to get one, then some people buying more than one for their needs is great because it means we can make more products and the tricorder will be more successful.
Jim:
Thanks Chris! My concern was them selling out immediately to hoarders that only intend to sell them on eBay layer for 10 times the price.

Hopefully that will calm anyone's worries. :)

Last edited:
Hi just read the next Wand Company update and its great very informative. Here is a quick picture that was included with various Tricorder info. I am sure many have read the latest Wand update. LOL i read it twice! Next topic will be cutting tools.

Attachments

• 20210504_064230.jpg
    20210504_064230.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 80
Holy moly! A disk sensor detects which disk is in the right-most position, and that determines which tricorder functions are available for access. That's amazing. Also, the hood opens 180 degrees, just like the prop. Also amazing. I don't know what to say. I'm amazed.

One thing they mention does make me worry just a little bit:

"The actions of opening the hood or closing the upper door are detected by the movement of magnets, hidden in the hood and door, using two Hall effect sensors, and let the tricorder know when to wake up and stop the moiré motor turning respectively."

I am hoping the detection of the magnets is not the ONLY way the "wake up" and "sleep" (stopping the moire, etc) functions are activated. If they are the only way, that reduces the ability to display the Tricorder in an open format, rather than all closed up.

One thing they mention does make me worry just a little bit:

"The actions of opening the hood or closing the upper door are detected by the movement of magnets, hidden in the hood and door, using two Hall effect sensors, and let the tricorder know when to wake up and stop the moiré motor turning respectively."

I am hoping the detection of the magnets is not the ONLY way the "wake up" and "sleep" (stopping the moire, etc) functions are activated. If they are the only way, that reduces the ability to display the Tricorder in an open format, rather than all closed up.
It looks like there may be a master power switch in the battery/charging compartment.
484170C1-CA7B-43B9-945E-7094CB9346F4.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back