The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

I’m thinking the battery will be in the rear compartment.
DBA63501-0B06-42D3-B78F-718C106AB117.jpeg

I agree. I bought two communicators, followed the charging recommendations, and found both still died within 12-18 months. Great products in theory but I just get sad every time I run across them in a drawer.
Send TWC a message. I had the same problem and they sent me a new charger. It’s been good ever since. I think there was an issue with their early chargers.

Send TWC a message. I had the same problem and they sent me a new charger. It’s been good ever since. I think there was an issue with their early chargers.
I could try that. The chargers do the light show when a communicator is attached, so I just assumed they were working and it was the batteries.

It has been so long I kind of just let it go, but I might reach out to them. Thank you for the info.

I’m thinking the battery will be in the rear compartment. View attachment 1447099
WHERE did you get that image?! More importantly, are there any OTHER images from the same source?!!! :)

As to it being in a "rear compartment", I suspect there is no such compartment. Reviewing all the renderings so far provided, the back panel looks to just exposes the same interior, just from the rear of the Tricorder. In other words, it simply gives access to the *same* compartment from the back as as you get from the front - as opposed to giving you access to a different/physically separated compartment than you see from the front.

For instance, look at the same rendering without the cover:
inside-back-of-hood-12cx750px.jpg

If you'll notice, the Moire stepper motor and the Data disc detection PCB are almost flush with where the rear panel sets (the panel is almost invisible, but you see its outline and its locking notches) . In other words, there is no "rear compartment" - at least in the center section.

As to the bottom compartment, it remains mostly a mystery because no other image has shown it so far. That said, your (WONDERFUL!) new image has given HINTS hints at a hinged forward compartment, similar to what we see in this TWC photo of the original prop:
bottom-door-1kx13cpx.jpg

Of course, while your new image doesn't suggest it, they COULD have built the lower compartment to be shallower than the full depth of the Tricorder, allowing for a slim, separate "rear compartment" between the back of the 'swing drawer' and the rear panel. It is certainly a possibility, because we haven't seen a place the battery might be.

Last edited:
That image is on The Wand Company’s blog.

EDIT:

sorry... it’s on their Facebook page.
Ah. That explains it. I don't do Facebook, so I missed that image. Have you run across any other images on their Facebook page we haven't seen on their website? Searching, I didn't notice anything, but figured I would make sure I didn't miss something!

Last edited:
As to it being in a "rear compartment", I suspect there is no such compartment.

Now, if you'll notice, the Moire stepper motor and the Data disc detection PCB are almost flush with where the rear panel sets (the panel is almost invisible, but you see its outline and its locking notches) . In other words, there is no "rear compartment" - at least in the center section.
A compartment is still a compartment, no matter how narrow.

Ah. That explains it. I don't do Facebook, so I missed that image. Have you run across any other images on their Facebook page we haven't seen on their website?
No, all the other images on their FB page is also in their Blog.

Sooooooo.....

Jim's new images, gives us a bit more of an insight into the space below the step motor. ;)

First off, the image confirms that the odd cylindrical shape that gets cut off at the bottom of the frontal wire CAD image is definitely NOT the top portion of a Medical Scanner. Jim's pic shows that cylindrical shape stops at the bottom of the 'middle compartment.
speaker1.jpg

Second, I think we might be able to rule out the lower red shape being the power supply:
speaker2.jpg

In Jim's pic, I notices the yellow post which seems to be holding the green frame. This seems like a speaker holder, as exampled below:
small speakers.jpg

This is not the SAME speakers, but simply identifies a general shape.

Now, if that is the speaker, then the larger red mass below the green frame could simply be the speaker magnet et al. That being the case, it would make sense for Chris to have said they *squeezed* the stepper motor next to (above) the speaker.

Moreover, this would suggest the speaker facing upward - even if the red item is not part of the speaker. Facing into that red thing would muffle the speaker, whereas there is space for sound to propagate if it is face up (unless the red thing is just an empty cylinder that opens onto the lower compartment, giving a downward facing speaker a much larger cavity for sound to propagate unimpeded)

Third, if all of the above is correct, then we have not seen a power supply at all yet. Given the tight confines of the hood and the center compartment, a "more robust" battery than their previous devices, as Chris indicated, simply wouldn't fit in the tiny spaces left in those compartments - front or back. That suggest the battery is *somewhere* in the lower compartment.

Unfortunately NONE of the images we have suggest *where* in the lower compartment it might be. So we have to wait for TWC to release more information to find out where it might be kept.

That said, there is *something* I don't quite know what to make of in the wire CAD image:
unknown.jpg

This thin panel/board/whatever is in the VERY thin space between the back of the step motor and an the rear cover. From what I can tell, it is a rectangular panel with something *else* inserted inside a precisely cuts space in the panel, and two channels carved into the board leading to the inserted item. It doesn't seem to be a printed circuit board (those have tiny circuitry markers all over them, as one can see in other parts of the same CAD image above). And it seems too small and too unusual a design to be the more "robust replaceable battery" Chris mentions.

So I'm at a loss.

Does this look familiar to anyone or ring any bells?

Last edited:
I agree. I bought two communicators, followed the charging recommendations, and found both still died within 12-18 months. Great products in theory but I just get sad every time I run across them in a drawer.

I subscribed to the tricorder e-mails solely to see what the battery plan was. I think that alone will determine whether I buy three or zero.
I hope this can make you happy...

I hope this can make you happy...

Yes! That gives me something to work with. Thank you very much!

Just a sample of the latest update. A prototype that’s 3D printed, laser cut and machined aluminum Parts.

Attachments

• 7521954F-162A-4146-84B6-6A8EB424BB05.jpeg
    7521954F-162A-4146-84B6-6A8EB424BB05.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 88
Just a sample of the latest update. A prototype that’s 3D printed, laser cut and machined aluminum Parts.
Just read it this morning. The overhead clamps holding the discs look weirdly uneven on the prototype, but then I guess that's also exacerbated because we've never seen that compartment without the discs!

Looking at Chang's original design: that sure looks to me like it was two communicators being stored in the bottom compartment. (That compartment always reminded me of foldout vehicle ashtrays.) Was it ever specified what they were?

Attachments

• WahSketch.jpg
    WahSketch.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 72

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back