The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

Agreed, compared to other "high end collectible" companies that offer zero updates for years about their products, this is a very welcome gesture.

Hell compared to a certain major camera tripod manufacturer's kickstarter these are amazing. I receive one update a month if I'm lucky and they already have my money....

Posted today on TWC Tricorder blog. There has been some discussion here about the SD card.

We will release a more detailed update later about the SD card functionality, but basically, right now that is intended as a future-proofing feature of the design. System upgrades will be via the SD card. There will not be an SD card supplied with the tricorder at launch, but the tricorder itself will be capable of reading data from and writing data to the card. Depending on development bandwidth, that functionality may not be available in the launch product but will be able to be acquired by future firmware upgrades”.

I grew up on TOS and I'm planning on getting two of these (no more, don't worry, and they're for specific people), but the films, TNG, and DS9 are my personal jam. I'd love to see if I could shove the guts of a WC TOS communicator into a TSFS shell. I... have other thoughts about the TNG commbadge. But lemme tell you, I'd love to see what they could do with the TSFS or TNG tricorder. I adore the engineering going into this project, but am not going to personally own the end result, because... *helpless shrug* ...not where my collecting preferences lie. The people I'm getting the tricorders for will appreciate them about 476% more than I would. It's a little thing, but every time they post an update, I just wish it were going into one of these:

a119e02377ed486c97d88c1020e26051cb97c7c8.jpeg

I always preferred the VI, but -- as you can see -- most of them were made to the ten-foot rule. I've been working to make mine to what is basically the WC standard, but definitely do not have the resources they do for the features they're cramming into the TOS tric. On the third hand, I am definitely putting a MicroSD card reader in mine. :p

Someone asked Chris on the Tricorder blog if they had any plans of making another run of their Phasers and he said that at this time they don't have any plans because for them to make another run they would have to have a run of 10,000 units and they don't think there is a market for that many. But he did say that if anything changed they would revisit that decision. I'm also assuming, yes I know what happens when you assume, that this applies to the Communicator too. I'm hoping that if they get a big enough response to the Tricorder that people who missied out on the previous 2 will be clamoring for new runs. We can only hope.

Someone asked Chris on the Tricorder blog if they had any plans of making another run of their Phasers and he said that at this time they don't have any plans because for them to make another run they would have to have a run of 10,000 units and they don't think there is a market for that many. But he did say that if anything changed they would revisit that decision. I'm also assuming, yes I know what happens when you assume, that this applies to the Communicator too. I'm hoping that if they get a big enough response to the Tricorder that people who missied out on the previous 2 will be clamoring for new runs. We can only hope.

They buyers where I work (and this should be our wheelhouse) haven't even committed to buying any of the tricorders yet, and if they do, it will be extremely limited qty. Like less than 200 I would guess for over 300 stores.

So I can see how they'd have trouble filling out a re-order for the phaser and communicator at 10,000 units.

I,m glad I got both the Phaser and Communicator when they first came out but I would not be adverse to getting a few more of each without getting gouged the way they are on eBay now.

The communicators and phasers already have high secondary market prices, so there is existing interest in those units. Would the arrival of the tricorders spark an even higher demand, as some buyers look to build a landing party set? Perhaps further runs of comms and phasers isn't such a far-fetched idea, especially if the tooling is still accessible.

My family and the in laws know what a huge Trek fan I am and when the phasers and comes came out I kept getting them as gifts. I ended up with four of each! I have one set on display and the other three sets are still boxed up in my closet. My original plan was to regift them to friends but I forgot all about them until recently. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with the three sets but I think I’m sitting on a small goldmine!

My family and the in laws know what a huge Trek fan I am and when the phasers and comes came out I kept getting them as gifts. I ended up with four of each! I have one set on display and the other three sets are still boxed up in my closet. My original plan was to regift them to friends but I forgot all about them until recently. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with the three sets but I think I’m sitting on a small goldmine!
Hey Funky, you didn’t shove the knife all the way into my back. There’s still an inch of blade left if you want to take another plunge…

Wait until just before the release of the tricorder and list them as sets on eBay. You'll make enough to buy a house someplace nice, I'm sure. ;)

I'll help with that blade!
A few years ago Best Buy was blowing out comms and phasers for $50 apiece and I didn't even take advantage of it because I already had mine.

I'll help with that blade!
A few years ago Best Buy was blowing out comms and phasers for $50 apiece and I didn't even take advantage of it because I already had mine.
I picked up 2 when that happened!

Thanks to a shout out from a member over on the TPZ (y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back