The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Are they going to actually start making single player games again? Seems bullet-time would be hard to do in multiplayer which was the selling point of the game originally. I can just see it....60 people in a level all moving in slow motion even when not using bullet time because someone else is using it :)
I thought they did multiplayer in Max Payne 3.

New Kingdom Hearts games announced, the biggest being Kingdom Hearts 4.

The graphics look amazing but very different in style from the previous games. The main character has gone through a very big makeover and Im wondering why.

Finally got a PS5. Well technically I don't have it yet, but my brother in PEI just happened to be in Gamestop and they actually had one left. He called me and told me he was looking at one on the shelf right now but suspected it wouldn't last the day as all the others sold out almost as soon as they arrived. I told him to give me the price of it and I wired him the money on the spot. So he picked it up for me, now we just have to wait until our schedules align so he can get it to me.

In the meantime some more news.

No Man's Sky getting another free update. Now that I have a PS5 in the wings I think I am definitely going to go back to this game.

Season 2 of Deep Rock Galactic fast approaching with all manner of new weapons and missions.

TMNT Shredder's Revenge behind the scenes

Warhammer 40k meets Xcom in the upcoming Chaos Gate

Last edited:
Really looking forward to the new TMNT game. Definitely don’t need all the tchotchkes that come with the $150 edition though lol.

New Kingdom Hearts games announced, the biggest being Kingdom Hearts 4.

The graphics look amazing but very different in style from the previous games. The main character has gone through a very big makeover and Im wondering why.

Finally took the time to watch this. Hope its a good fun game, but, 3 was a bit of a let down, story wise anyways. I guess thats how it can go when you have an idea how the story can go, only to find out your own idea ends up being better than what actually happens.
I did read, that how Sora's appearance can change depending on what world hes in, that because this is more a realistic world, his appearance is then realistic. Completely true or not, who knows yet, but would make since if thats what they were going for.

Finally took the time to watch this. Hope its a good fun game, but, 3 was a bit of a let down, story wise anyways. I guess thats how it can go when you have an idea how the story can go, only to find out your own idea ends up being better than what actually happens.
I did read, that how Sora's appearance can change depending on what world hes in, that because this is more a realistic world, his appearance is then realistic. Completely true or not, who knows yet, but would make since if thats what they were going for.
True, Sora's appearence is dependent on the world he is in and this is a new, more realistic world so a more realistic Sora does make sense. Im more concerned with the fight against the darkside which seemed very fixed with the attack which means a rehash of attractions/reaction commands over gameplay. Scripted events arnt really that fun.

What was your idea? Ive heard a few but think most were worse than what we actually got. I thought the ideas werent terrible in the story but just very poorly executed with very poor pacing. I dont really play games for the story so it wasnt a big deal but the combat was also worse than 1 and 2 which got me a little worried about 4 (lots of stuff going on but not much actual options to choose what you want to do).

True, Sora's appearence is dependent on the world he is in and this is a new, more realistic world so a more realistic Sora does make sense. Im more concerned with the fight against the darkside which seemed very fixed with the attack which means a rehash of attractions/reaction commands over gameplay. Scripted events arnt really that fun.

What was your idea? Ive heard a few but think most were worse than what we actually got. I thought the ideas werent terrible in the story but just very poorly executed with very poor pacing. I dont really play games for the story so it wasnt a big deal but the combat was also worse than 1 and 2 which got me a little worried about 4 (lots of stuff going on but not much actual options to choose what you want to do).
KH2 has been my favorite so far. Turning into the forms and all, epic battles.
KH3 felt like they were setting everything up for this huge climax battle, with all the spin off titles and such.
I was actually hoping that the absolute final battle would have every character that welds a keyblade fighting together. Since all the games went to so much trouble to show each of them off, and most having to be saved, so everyone all working together. Maybe even for once letting you switch between characters mid battle, saving each other and showing that the big bad guy was so strong, it took that 10+ characters to bring him down.
But no. Most the game is Kari "off training" only to get killed so fast.
So the final battle was just Sora, Donald and Goofy....again. nothing new or really interesting about it...and then you win.
Its like they traded an epic battle to instead just hurry and get it over with because they wanted to get onto KH4.
It all looked pretty. I'd take a remake of 1 and 2 in that style.

KH2 has been my favorite so far. Turning into the forms and all, epic battles.
KH3 felt like they were setting everything up for this huge climax battle, with all the spin off titles and such.
I was actually hoping that the absolute final battle would have every character that welds a keyblade fighting together. Since all the games went to so much trouble to show each of them off, and most having to be saved, so everyone all working together. Maybe even for once letting you switch between characters mid battle, saving each other and showing that the big bad guy was so strong, it took that 10+ characters to bring him down.
But no. Most the game is Kari "off training" only to get killed so fast.
So the final battle was just Sora, Donald and Goofy....again. nothing new or really interesting about it...and then you win.
Its like they traded an epic battle to instead just hurry and get it over with because they wanted to get onto KH4.
It all looked pretty. I'd take a remake of 1 and 2 in that style.
KH2 has a great combat system although early game is terrible with no dodge moves imo. KH3 fixed that by giving dodge roll at the beginning.

Yeah, KH3 was building up to this big battle and I think they did that decently well with the fights against the real Org XIII with the final against the Xehanorts but I personally think it would have been better if they spread out some 1 v 1 battles against the other norts in the other worlds as well. I also didnt like the 3 v 3 format, especially on critical when your allies are useless effectively making it 1 v 3. Having reactions with your allies would have been cool but not sold on the switching. Ok if we could customize the characters before battle.

Yeah Kairi off training and getting killed was annoying but made sense imo. Master Xehanort is the strongest keyblade wielder we have met in the series thus far and Kairi is still a noob, like maybe KH1 Sora level to be generous. KH1 Sora or early game BBS trio would also get easily killed by MX. I do think Kairi should have been more unique though given she is also a Princess of Heart.

I loved the final battle tbh. I do think having Donald and Goofy makes sense since they were the core trio throughout the series. They can change it up to Riku and Kairi in this new saga now that the Xehanort saga is "over" (maybe) but keeping Donald and Goofy was fine for me.

I do take issue with the middle game though. The travelling to planets by ship was still annoying, there are way too few Disney bosses and Disney characters and no SE characters so the spirit felt different, and all the major story points where shoved in the beginning and end. Combat was unbalanced making magic and summons OP while nerfing physical attacks, attractions and form changes were more random, and the i-frames were terrible (guard frames were inconsistent and no i-frames for combo finishers meaning you could die while unleashing a finisher).

KH1 and 2 were created by a different team from BBS/3 and I hope they take some of the criticisms to heart to make a better battle system. Also didnt like how the ending was kind of locked off by DLC and the unnecessary cliffhanger secret ending.

KH2 has a great combat system although early game is terrible with no dodge moves imo. KH3 fixed that by giving dodge roll at the beginning.

Yeah, KH3 was building up to this big battle and I think they did that decently well with the fights against the real Org XIII with the final against the Xehanorts but I personally think it would have been better if they spread out some 1 v 1 battles against the other norts in the other worlds as well. I also didnt like the 3 v 3 format, especially on critical when your allies are useless effectively making it 1 v 3. Having reactions with your allies would have been cool but not sold on the switching. Ok if we could customize the characters before battle.

Yeah Kairi off training and getting killed was annoying but made sense imo. Master Xehanort is the strongest keyblade wielder we have met in the series thus far and Kairi is still a noob, like maybe KH1 Sora level to be generous. KH1 Sora or early game BBS trio would also get easily killed by MX. I do think Kairi should have been more unique though given she is also a Princess of Heart.

I loved the final battle tbh. I do think having Donald and Goofy makes sense since they were the core trio throughout the series. They can change it up to Riku and Kairi in this new saga now that the Xehanort saga is "over" (maybe) but keeping Donald and Goofy was fine for me.

I do take issue with the middle game though. The travelling to planets by ship was still annoying, there are way too few Disney bosses and Disney characters and no SE characters so the spirit felt different, and all the major story points where shoved in the beginning and end. Combat was unbalanced making magic and summons OP while nerfing physical attacks, attractions and form changes were more random, and the i-frames were terrible (guard frames were inconsistent and no i-frames for combo finishers meaning you could die while unleashing a finisher).

KH1 and 2 were created by a different team from BBS/3 and I hope they take some of the criticisms to heart to make a better battle system. Also didnt like how the ending was kind of locked off by DLC and the unnecessary cliffhanger secret ending.
I actually forgot about the KH3 DLC. Never took the time to try it. Hopefully it explains a bit more of what happened at the end. I don't remember why Sora is gone. To find Kari or something was it?
And Maleficent and Pete and a box. I really do not remember any point to them other then filler.
But, I need to play it again, and the DLC....eventually.

I actually forgot about the KH3 DLC. Never took the time to try it. Hopefully it explains a bit more of what happened at the end. I don't remember why Sora is gone. To find Kari or something was it?
And Maleficent and Pete and a box. I really do not remember any point to them other then filler.
But, I need to play it again, and the DLC....eventually.
Yeah, this part isnt well explained because they pull powers out of nowhere.

Sora uses the power of awakening to essentially "reverse" the moment that Kairi died to save her. This is the same power Sora used in the main game at the end to undo the final battle, preventing the cast from getting wiped out by the heartless and losing. However, its hinted by Chirithy (the cat thing from UX) that abusing this power will cause him Sora to disappear from existence. Sora does so anyway, travelling through gates to search for and eventually finding and saving Kairi from death.

This is why at the end, Kairi is alive but Sora "dies"/disappears. Where Sora goes is unknown but its implied in the DLC and now with the KH4 trailer that Sora has gone to Quadratum, the worlds Yozora comes from. We dont know that much about Yozora but it is also heavily implied that he has a similar backstory to Noctis from FF versus 13 (nevermind the theory of Luxord actually being the driver and former keyblade wielder).

We dont know much about Quadratum, the world Sora finds himself in the trailer, but we know that the girl he meets is Strelitzia, a former keyblade wielder from UX who was also killed so these are unknown threads.

Yeah, Pete and Malificient were basically red herrings, searching for "the box" which is the box Xigbar/Luxu was carrying at the end. They basically show that the box is important (likely because it was given to Luxu by the master of masters) but they are basically background, doing their own thing and not getting involved in the main story.

If I made you more confused by answering, Im sorry lol.

Yeah, this part isnt well explained because they pull powers out of nowhere.

Sora uses the power of awakening to essentially "reverse" the moment that Kairi died to save her. This is the same power Sora used in the main game at the end to undo the final battle, preventing the cast from getting wiped out by the heartless and losing. However, its hinted by Chirithy (the cat thing from UX) that abusing this power will cause him Sora to disappear from existence. Sora does so anyway, travelling through gates to search for and eventually finding and saving Kairi from death.

This is why at the end, Kairi is alive but Sora "dies"/disappears. Where Sora goes is unknown but its implied in the DLC and now with the KH4 trailer that Sora has gone to Quadratum, the worlds Yozora comes from. We dont know that much about Yozora but it is also heavily implied that he has a similar backstory to Noctis from FF versus 13 (nevermind the theory of Luxord actually being the driver and former keyblade wielder).

We dont know much about Quadratum, the world Sora finds himself in the trailer, but we know that the girl he meets is Strelitzia, a former keyblade wielder from UX who was also killed so these are unknown threads.

Yeah, Pete and Malificient were basically red herrings, searching for "the box" which is the box Xigbar/Luxu was carrying at the end. They basically show that the box is important (likely because it was given to Luxu by the master of masters) but they are basically background, doing their own thing and not getting involved in the main story.

If I made you more confused by answering, Im sorry lol.
I was mostly following the story through out all the games and spin off titles. By the time 3 came out, I had forgotten a lot, and now, I probably can only recall the basics of the first two games. Sometimes I think Nomura makes it overly complex just because,.... why not make it more confusing.
I'm pretty sure hes making it all up as he goes.
But, they are fun games. I've always said, story wise, the most complex and over confusing stories are the Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear series and I totally love them both.

I was mostly following the story through out all the games and spin off titles. By the time 3 came out, I had forgotten a lot, and now, I probably can only recall the basics of the first two games. Sometimes I think Nomura makes it overly complex just because,.... why not make it more confusing.
I'm pretty sure hes making it all up as he goes.
But, they are fun games. I've always said, story wise, the most complex and over confusing stories are the Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear series and I totally love them both.
Lol im 80% sure Nomura makes stuff up on the spot and there is no overarching timeline. KH started as a random brain child to combine Final Fantasy and Disney which Donald slated to be the main protagonist at first, then some Lion-hybrid, then Sora with inspiration from Disney attire (hence the big shoes and Mickey-esque outfit). Given the need to get approval from 3 different departments now (SE, Disney, and Pixar), flexibility is necessary imo.

Metal Gear is also amazing but also agree its complex. I dont know how Kojima plans things out but I felt he had more of an idea of what he wanted to tell, at least for 1 to 4.

Then again, I really dont put that much weight into video game story. The only game that really gave me a gripping story that made me press forward with a game was Yakuza Kiwami (I struggled with the combat at first) but the story still isnt that “unique.” Hell, even the last of us, which is considered “groundbreaking videogame storytelling” is basically Children of Men the video game.

After 3 weeks of playing Chrono Cross, glad I finally got the Platinum, so now I can go get caught up in some other pointless project. 4th of July is just over 2 months away, guess back to planning....

20220430_162458.jpg

PS5 has arrived and I have begun the search for either a gaming monitor or new tv with hdmi 2.1 and 120hz refresh to take advantage of the PS5's new VRR capabilties and unlock all those sweet frames.

Also a new River City game coming in July. Still depressed River City Ransom Underground hasn't got a console release yet though.

Inspired by the classic Heroes of Might and Magic series of the 90's, Songs of Conquest goes early access May 10

Also, Warhammer 40k meets Xcom in Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate Daemon Hunters which goes live on Steam today

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back