The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I tried it. Messed around on the first planet. It just felt kinda empty and dull. I suppose if you dig exploration the most in open world games, you'll dig it, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't have a story.

I tried it. Messed around on the first planet. It just felt kinda empty and dull. I suppose if you dig exploration the most in open world games, you'll dig it, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't have a story.
Interesting, so I guess it's a true open world/survival game like Conan with no real end game or plot. If that's the case, then I'll pass, I like my games to have a definite ending.

Interesting, so I guess it's a true open world/survival game like Conan with no real end game or plot. If that's the case, then I'll pass, I like my games to have a definite ending.
I mean...maybe? I dunno. I didn't play far enough to find out. I'll likely go back to it at some point, because the concept intrigues me, but the real question is whether the game can hold my interest long enough to hook me.

Right now I'm playing Marvel's Avengers, which is fun, but which I could see getting repetitive. Still, it's been worth the roughly $30 I've paid.

I mean...maybe? I dunno. I didn't play far enough to find out. I'll likely go back to it at some point, because the concept intrigues me, but the real question is whether the game can hold my interest long enough to hook me.
Yeah, the concept intrigues me as well. That and because I saw a video recently mentioning mentioning how much support and add content that there has been for the game since its release. Guess I'll have to do a little research on my own to see if there's an actual storyline to this game or not.

btw, anyone have any “hidden gems” games they would like to share? Games that may not be AAA or a well known franchise but are great fun?

i would praise Days Gone, especially if you are a fan of the walking dead. The Mad Max PS4 game was also better than expected but it did make me think that Max would “canonically” not help everyone.

After doing a little bit of research, I found out that there is indeed a story line to No Man's Sky. But it seems that there's only about 40 - 60 hourse of story in the game, which mostly acts a tutorial on how to play the game. After that it's wander across the galaxy gathering resources and building your base or bases. There also seems to be a lot of stuff for co-op play, but I've always been more of a solo player and when I do play online games, I tend to play with a good friend of mine so this aspect of the game doesn't have much appeal.

Right now, it's on sale for $30 on Steam, but since I just got the Witcher for free on GOG, I'm going to give that a try. What I might do is sign up for a 1 month trial of XBox Unlimited (or whatever the XBox game service is called) for $1, and give No Man's Land a try once I'm done with The Witcher. A month should be more than enough to give me a feel for how much I like the game, at the very least it should allow to finish the storyline and let me decide if I want to continue playing afterwards. The only thing is, I'm not sure if I can save my progress in the game if I end up buying a copy from somewhere besides the Microsoft Store because someone has it on sale again.

My nephew and his friend have been playing No Man's Sky and he said it's really fun. I've never played it though.
I'm giving The Witcher a try right now but I can't say that I'm enjoying it so far, although I haven't made it every far in the game yet. So far the graphics aren't that impressive, but it is an older game and I had just finished playing Cyberpunk, so it gets a pass there. But so far, I'm not liking the gameplay too much. The fighting system doesn't seem that sophisticated and the camera is kind of meh. But, I'm going to continue to give it a go and see if it doesn't start to catch my interest once I get more into the game. If not, I'm probably going to give the Xbox Game Pass a try, it's only $1 for the first month, download and play No Man's Sky & hope that it's still on sale on Steam a month later.

I never played the first Witcher game, because I've heard the mechanics weren't too good. The Witcher 2 is perfectly still playable though. I played Witcher 3 before I went back and played 2.

I've played all 3 Witcher games, and can confirm the play mechanics in 1 are janky as hell. 2 is better, but 3 is the only one I've gone back and played multiple times.

I just finished the new DLC for AC Valhalla, which was great fun. Exploring Ireland of the old world was pretty amazing. Now that I've finished the storyline, I'm just going around picking up treasures and mysteries and exploring as much of the map as I can.

GOG.com is owned by CD Projekt Red that made the Witcher series, so it's a good site. You can find lots of older games and they will work right away on the latest versions of Windows without having to fuss with anything.

I broke down the other day and went ahead and bought No Man's Sky since it was 50% off on Humble Bundle. So far, I'm liking it, it's different from other games I've played and it's taking some getting used to (esp. the controls), but now that I've unlocked the ability to build bases, the game should start to get more fun and interesting for me. This game is really reminding me Subnautica, but in space, but so far, I haven't encountered any serious snerglies.

The one thing I'm find odd about this game is the performance. I have a modest PC with an older GPU but I was able to run Cyberpunk, a graphically demanding game, just fine but my system occasionally stutters on NMS. I'd have thought that if my system could handle Cyberpunk, it can handle NMS just as, if not more easily. Guess not.

I'm giving The Witcher a try right now but I can't say that I'm enjoying it so far, although I haven't made it every far in the game yet. So far the graphics aren't that impressive, but it is an older game and I had just finished playing Cyberpunk, so it gets a pass there. But so far, I'm not liking the gameplay too much. The fighting system doesn't seem that sophisticated and the camera is kind of meh. But, I'm going to continue to give it a go and see if it doesn't start to catch my interest once I get more into the game. If not, I'm probably going to give the Xbox Game Pass a try, it's only $1 for the first month, download and play No Man's Sky & hope that it's still on sale on Steam a month later.

If it's the Witcher 1, then yeah, that's...not a very fun game, I found. I gather the story is cool, but I couldn't get past the mechanics.

The Witcher 2 is pretty fun, although I haven't finished it yet. I haven't tried 3, because I wanted to finish 2 playthrus of #2 first (the story branches pretty significantly, from what I heard).

Lately, I've been enjoying Marvel's Avengers, which I got on sale from Steam. The main campaign is pretty damn solid, although you can power through it in probably about 15 hours if you don't explore the maps or do any other side gigs. I'm in the first DLC currently, which introduces Kate Bishop and it's fun so far. I gather that people are disappointed in how its launch went, given that the Spider-Man DLC is going to be Playstation-exclusive (natch), and support has been hit or miss. But I figure I got my money's worth for the roughly $30 I paid.

Games Workshop holding a gaming reveal session live now and showing some new trailers for Warhammer and Warhammer 40k games.

New Warhammer40k Darktide teaser featuring Warhammer novelist Dan Abnett.

1998's strategy Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate finally getting a long awaited sequel

Warhammer Total War 3 Khornate faction teaser

Warhammer Total War 2 DLC pack for Beastman and Lizardman factions

Warhammer Vermintide 2 DLC trailer

Warhammer 40k Shootas, Blood & Teef multiplayer platformer

No interest in the new Battlefield. They're turning it into a dumbed down game, which is what EA is great at. They removed classes, which were the core of the game, in favor or some stupid Rainbow Six Siege characters. Battlefield was fun for the somewhat asymmetrical aspect of it that only certain classes could do certain things. Now it will be a COD mess where anyone can run around firing a rocket launcher all over the place.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back