The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

And since its not been added here yet.
Square finally got around to fixing up the Chrono Cross remaster from last April's launch.
There were plenty modders who fixed up stuff within a week or two....not sure why they waited so long.
As long as its a free update, as it should be, I'll see how better it plays.

332218207_1370748620340211_1200809103565111696_n.jpg

RIP Tohru Okada at 73. The gaming sound engineer responsible for what many consider the most iconic sound in gaming, the original Playstation startup sound.

Also rumor says we're getting a Sony State of Play Feb 23 with ten games to be revealed. Still hoping this coincides with the rumor that we're supposed to be getting some sort of Metal Gear news in February. We just had the ten year anniversary of Metal Gear Rising a few days ago and I believe yesterday was the anniversary of the Japanese release of Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:
RIP Tohru Okada at 73. The gaming sound engineer responsible for what many consider the most iconic sound in gaming, the original Playstation startup sound.

Thats too bad....very iconic sound indeed.
Just turned up the sound system and played it nice and loud. I think it just had a mature sound to it...like you instantly knew, this wasn't that kid friendly Nintendo anymore.
Its kinda scary seeing so many people like this passing away, a lot in their late 60s to early 70s. My Dad will be 77 this year.....still not ready yet.....

I wanted to read more on it, and I see there are articles about this guy, Takafumi Fujisawa, saying he invented the PS sound.
Confused, I dug some more and found out.....
...that Okada created the sound used in commercials, not the startup sound. I would say that thats still just as iconic.
Couldn't find one video with both sounds, but I read the starting ding sound, is actually the 2nd robotic "Playstation" sound, just layered in a way that it sounds like a bing. Intresting.

Thats too bad....very iconic sound indeed.
Just turned up the sound system and played it nice and loud. I think it just had a mature sound to it...like you instantly knew, this wasn't that kid friendly Nintendo anymore.
Its kinda scary seeing so many people like this passing away, a lot in their late 60s to early 70s. My Dad will be 77 this year.....still not ready yet.....

Yeah, it was actually Final Fantasy VII that made me jump to a Sony console after being a hardcore Nintendo guy since the NES days. I was such a huge fan of Final Fantasy VI, I was really looking forward to VII. Then Nintendo Power had an article saying Squaresoft had abandoned development of FFVII on the N64 and I literally had a panic attack, resigned I would not get to play it.
When I started seeing the first screenshots of a very Blade Runner looking Midgar I started saving up knowing there was no way I was going to miss this game.

That startup sound still gives me chills to this day and I've always maintained it should be a toggle option in all Sony consoles to be able to change the default start up chime to the original one.

Yeah, it was actually Final Fantasy VII that made me jump to a Sony console after being a hardcore Nintendo guy since the NES days. I was such a huge fan of Final Fantasy VI, I was really looking forward to VII. Then Nintendo Power had an article saying Squaresoft had abandoned development of FFVII on the N64 and I literally had a panic attack, resigned I would not get to play it.
When I started seeing the first screenshots of a very Blade Runner looking Midgar I started saving up knowing there was no way I was going to miss this game.

That startup sound still gives me chills to this day and I've always maintained it should be a toggle option in all Sony consoles to be able to change the default start up chime to the original one.
I remember seeing that in Nintendo Power as well. Being the Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 and of course, huge Nintendo fan as well, it was a bit shocking they were switching. I remember seeing pics from the old tech demo featuring the FF6 characters and at first being excited for 7 on the N64.
Although, my expectations for the N64, before any gameplay pics were even released, was completely unrealistic. Nintendo Power was definitely over hyping it of course, but I seemed to get in my head that it was going to be producing Toy Story type graphics....or basically what we have in todays games.
So when the first screen shots of Mario 64 came out, I was a bit disappointed and left let down.
But I had also over hyped it to all my friends, some who were will Sega fans, (which I was as well) and Playstation fans. So I had to keep this image up of course, being 14 to 15.
I remember seeing screen shots from Tekken in another magazine. They were showing the prerendered stuff, which looked far better than Mario 64....but Playstation was ONLY 32 bits, how could this possibly look better???? I wrote it off as being fake. Until a neighbor got a Playstation along with Tekken.....and wanted to show me those graphics. Of course I didn't know what prerendered even meant, and therefore not playable graphics....but it didn't matter, I had felt Nintendo had betrayed us all.
Christmas 1996, I still got the N64, my younger brother the Playstation with the new Twisted Metal 2.
In the end, I only ever ended up owning four N64 games, and ended up switching to PlayStation. My friend had Goldeneye, so I didn't buy that....many years later I did get a copy. So I now own 5, which are still on the shelf.

I remember seeing that in Nintendo Power as well. Being the Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 and of course, huge Nintendo fan as well, it was a bit shocking they were switching. I remember seeing pics from the old tech demo featuring the FF6 characters and at first being excited for 7 on the N64.
Although, my expectations for the N64, before any gameplay pics were even released, was completely unrealistic. Nintendo Power was definitely over hyping it of course, but I seemed to get in my head that it was going to be producing Toy Story type graphics....or basically what we have in todays games.
So when the first screen shots of Mario 64 came out, I was a bit disappointed and left let down.
But I had also over hyped it to all my friends, some who were will Sega fans, (which I was as well) and Playstation fans. So I had to keep this image up of course, being 14 to 15.
I remember seeing screen shots from Tekken in another magazine. They were showing the prerendered stuff, which looked far better than Mario 64....but Playstation was ONLY 32 bits, how could this possibly look better???? I wrote it off as being fake. Until a neighbor got a Playstation along with Tekken.....and wanted to show me those graphics. Of course I didn't know what prerendered even meant, and therefore not playable graphics....but it didn't matter, I had felt Nintendo had betrayed us all.
Christmas 1996, I still got the N64, my younger brother the Playstation with the new Twisted Metal 2.
In the end, I only ever ended up owning four N64 games, and ended up switching to PlayStation. My friend had Goldeneye, so I didn't buy that....many years later I did get a copy. So I now own 5, which are still on the shelf.

Yeah, my problem with the N64 was that the library dried up very quickly for me. Got the Turok's, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart, Pilot Wings, Mario 64 and all the AKI games and of all those I put the most time into the AKI series since I had just started getting into Japanese wrestling. The 4 player aspect the N64 had was also a big plus, although Sony did come out with a multitap, but I think I only had one game that worked with it that I imported from Japan and could barely get 4 people together to play it with me.

Within a year of owning a Playstation I think I had twice as many games for it then I had for the N64 after owning it for several years. I was actually employed by this point and it wasn't uncommon for me to go down to the local game store and come home with a game or two each trip.

I did like games with bigger worlds and more in depth narratives that only the Playstation was delivering at the time. My brothers absolutely hated me because they were still Nintendo purists and crapped on anything Sony. But as my PS library increased one of my brothers would always come and watch me play Resident Evil or Parasite Eve or Tenchu. Just types of games that the N64 didn't have.

Although I do regret that I never played Ogre Battle 64, as I would become a huge fan of the Tactics genre when Final Fantasy Tactics released. For the longest time I wouldn't even play RPG's until Nintendo Power gave away Dragon Warrior with a year subscription. Then I couldn't get enough of them. This year alone I'm anticipating the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, the Suikoden 1+2 Remasters, Eiyuden Chronicle, Octopath Traveler II and several more.

Ive read there was a new Robocop game coming out but hadn't seen anything from it...until I just watched this. They got the design down perfectly and I really love that they kept it on the 80s. I'm now excited for this one.

Ive read there was a new Robocop game coming out but hadn't seen anything from it...until I just watched this. They got the design down perfectly and I really love that they kept it on the 80s. I'm now excited for this one.

I think this is the same developer behind the latest Terminator game and that was actually pretty good. I'm loooking forward to it, but will wait before I buy, because it could also turn out to be another Rambo game.

I think this is the same developer behind the latest Terminator game and that was actually pretty good. I'm loooking forward to it, but will wait before I buy, because it could also turn out to be another Rambo game.
I'm like, what Terminator game???
So looking on google real quick, came out back in November 2019. Makes since I missed it. I had been working on a major video all year for that Christmas. So many games.....not enough time....

I thought the N64 had quite alot of bangers.

Legend of Zelda OoT and MM are must haves.
Star Fox 64 was honestly pretty good.
Smash Brothers is great, another must have.
Mario 64 now feels dated but at the time was revolutionary. N64 had alot of platformers like Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, and Conquers Bad Fur Day.
Star Wars Episode 1 racer was honestly quite fun.
Goldeneye or Perfect Dark for any FPS fan.
Not to mention the game that ruined friendships everywhere, Mario Party and Mario Kart.

Honestly looks pretty cool although seems to be a retread of the first movie with select stages but as a first person shooter. I suck at first person shooters though.

I thought the N64 had quite alot of bangers.

Legend of Zelda OoT and MM are must haves.
Star Fox 64 was honestly pretty good.
Smash Brothers is great, another must have.
Mario 64 now feels dated but at the time was revolutionary. N64 had alot of platformers like Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, and Conquers Bad Fur Day.
Star Wars Episode 1 racer was honestly quite fun.
Goldeneye or Perfect Dark for any FPS fan.
Not to mention the game that ruined friendships everywhere, Mario Party and Mario Kart.

Honestly looks pretty cool although seems to be a retread of the first movie with select stages but as a first person shooter. I suck at first person shooters though.
For N64, I have Mario 64, which is fun, butnthe controls and camera sure want to fight you. Mario Kart 64, Zelda OoT, and Star Fox, which was fun, despite the silly voice acting. I always liked trying to get the highest score I could.
As for First Person Shooters, not my thing so much either, but I did enjoy Goldeneye a whole lot.
I even made this video while still in high school.

Put the wraps on Metroid Dread this morning. Usually I'll go back and collect everything that I missed, but I think I'm good for now. The order in which you pick up items in this game was weird as hell, I didn't get a morph ball for a good couple of hours, and then didn't get bombs until a couple after that. And I don't care much for the melee counters they added. Still, I beat it.

Time to get my JRPG on. On to Tales From Arise.

Was just reading about Star Fox and how it came out in Japan on February 21, 1993, and then March 26th 1993 in America. Fun game.
Love this old crazy ad for it.
Had it, loved it, played it to 'bits' !

Adding to that, I suddenly remembered this game from way back:

There was a SNES videogame where you could fly an A10 Thunderbolt, but I can't remember what is was called.
I know I rented it a few times and like with everything you played on SNES, you couldn't save your progress. That eventually killed it for me.

My all-time favorite has to be this one:

This pc game was addictive in a weird way:

And not to be missed or excluded for obvious reasons:

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back