The Ultimate X-Wing Pilot Thread

hey guys, i haven't read the entire thread yet. but i see it dates back to 2006. i was wondering, I'm looking for the orange fabric used for the pilots jump suit. i want to make a Rey Doll

Rey's%20doll.jpg

I've never done anything with the x wing pilot costumes before, so i dont know the name of the fabric, what brand or what even to search for. i only need alittle bit to make this doll, any advice on where to find the matching color and texture?

thank you for your time

danny

... i was wondering, I'm looking for the orange fabric used for the pilots jump suit. i want to make a Rey Doll...

All the image says it that it was salvaged orange fabric from a new republic cargo container. Nothing about it being made from and X-Wing pilot suit.

So unless you get the inside scoop of the prop builder who made the doll, then I would simply use and orange fabric that you can work with.

Are you using a tutorial? This one looks pretty good: https://blondsaurus.wordpress.com/2016/01/05/diy-rey-of-hope-doll/

Let me know if you find something better.

Last edited:
All the image says it that it was salvaged orange fabric from a new republic cargo container. Nothing about it being made from and X-Wing pilot suit.

So unless you get the inside scoop of the prop builder who made the doll, then I would simply use and orange fabric that you can work with.

Are you using a tutorial? This one looks pretty good: https://blondsaurus.wordpress.com/2016/01/05/diy-rey-of-hope-doll/

Let me know if you find something better.

i was figuring it was the same material. That's for the link to the tutorial. It's great. Though I think I'm going to add a few more things to it. Thanks again!!

Cotton duck.

I've made 3 of them already.

Wire frame (you can see it sticking out the foot.
Medical bandage or cheese cloth with batting inside.
When doing the gauze/cheese cloth sew it together with white thread, don't forget the fingers on the hand.
Cloth jumpsuit with black threading (sloppy like a 10yro made it)
Burlap wrap and hemp twine.

Cotton duck.

I've made 3 of them already.

Wire frame (you can see it sticking out the foot.
Medical bandage or cheese cloth with batting inside.
When doing the gauze/cheese cloth sew it together with white thread, don't forget the fingers on the hand.
Cloth jumpsuit with black threading (sloppy like a 10yro made it)
Burlap wrap and hemp twine.

thank you, i was out there today looking at fabrics. still wasn't happy with what i found.. the search continues!

can any one tell me how you connect the ejection bet to the underside of the white vest? or does it go under the the chest box?

can any one tell me how you connect the ejection bet to the underside of the white vest? or does it go under the the chest box?

Normally the vest is made with PILE (fuzzy) white velcro on the inside so you can have harness with 3-4" of hook velcro, pinning is never good idea if you get your straps caught on chair, bench or stand up and they get caught it can rip a chunk out back your vest... Chest box goes OVER the vest! Harness is under the vest!

I dont really have good pic of it on my site... I can look for some! http://www.stitchsloft.com/loft/custom-x-wing-ejection-harness/

Here you can see the front strap attachment:

LukeStrap.jpg

I believe the concept was for the straps to be similar to the straps on WW2 pilot in which it keeps a chute from getting pulled off over the head, In this case, I believe the straps were meant to secure important lifesaving devices to the pilot in case of ejection such as the vest and chest box.

The problem is that if this is the case, the concept is lost on the costumers in The Empire Strikes Back. When they add a jacket to the costume, they make it so the strap goes under the jacket and not the vest. So it seems to lose a sense of importance unless you think the jacket is what is meant to be secured. I personally do not. It should be noted that the costumers on The Empire Strikes Back also had the pilots wear the vest backwards in comparison to A New Hope. However a special note. The pre-production images of Luke in flight suit for A New Hope is wearing the vest backwards as well as several other issues that differed from how it was in the actual movie.

On the subject of leg straps, I still cannot figure out any function for Resistance X-Wing pilot's leg straps. They appear to e purely decorative.. maybe some sort of tradition,

Doing it like production can lead to a disaster... I once was at troop and we were all changing... a guy stood up and got his straps caught on a bench in the locker room we were changing at and ripped huge chuck right out his costume because he had pinned it... Not to mention it almost pulled him to floor as he took a hard spill... Velcro will tear away and not damage anything and you can re-attach and go on with your day!

Fact is an ejection harness would be seen as almost leg restraints on the new F-35 these are used to reel you legs in during ejection so your legs are not torn off on the cockpit as the seat goes up the rails... Leg straps and harnesses are worn over flight suits and G-suits but under outer garments...

Empire when Luke is suiting up and grabs his gear off the bed you can see the chest box has no backing. :facepalm
The metal rods are also missing from the vest ribbing.

Luke is also the only one In Empire with the metal clips on the vest at the shoulder straps.

Straps where worn under the flaps of the leg pockets to keep the actors from catching on their knees.
I do this since I have almost taken a few tumbles when the strap caught under my bent knee.

Do adjust the straps so that the loops are at about the same height as your knees. Lower than that will impede your movement.
The newer pilots in ROTJ (A-wing, Y-wing, B-wing) had instead one strap per leg - which makes it easier to walk.

I second the recommendation for velcro on the flightsuit. That is easy to put on without help and if you want to do the ESB pilot then you would not have to alter anything.

Darth Lars, do you still offer these, or does anyone have a lead I can forward to them?
I have not done resin-casting for years, but I have given away moulds to a couple of people although that was also years ago. The last person to get one was Baron Flux on the Rebel Legion's forum.

I guess that interest is on the rise now, seeing that this style of wrist comm is also seen in Rogue One. If anybody wants a mould and start casting these for their local Rebel Base (or to sell), then do send me a PM! Active RL members doing it for their base would get one for the cost of materials and shipping, but it would have to be after Christmas...

It could have been a circuit board in ESB as well. I never found a close-up image of it, only one that had what appeared as dotted lines sideways. It being a mesh is only my interpretation.

Since I made my sculpt some pictures of the AT-AT driver's comm pad surfaced - with parts from some kind of transparent connector on it. I now think the "teeth" at the front of the Snowspeeder pilot's comm pad could also have been that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back