The Ultimate X-Wing Pilot Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Jimbo890, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

Well, I wanted to get cracking on doing an X-wing costume. So far, I've managed to track down some of the parts needed, traded for some molds [Thanks Badger!] and now I'm ready to start making the other parts of this costume.

I'm making my own sculpt of the helmet, but thought this might be a good place to list some sources for doing your own.

The helmet that was used in the films was an military AP-H6, and you can still find them from time to time. Look for the Ram horn version, a "B" or "C" variant if I am not mistaken.

Vietnam Flight Helmets- Flighthelmet.com 800-351-4898 has some Vietnam vintage ones.

We all know of Richie's Armor, and he can convert one for you!

The chest box I've got, but here is a detailed guide on how to make your own:

dagobahswamp.com: The Leading Dagobah Swamp Site on the Net

The Code Cylinders I have, but can be made from dowel rods and washers.

The signal Flares look pretty easy to make:

The Legstraps/Equipment harnes, looks to be made from car seat belt material.

The boots are similar enough to the East German Jackboots, so thats what I'll be using:

Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide or
    Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide

The gloves:
    http://www.leathermystics.com/gauntlets/ga...ts.html#leather [look at the $20 version without studs]

The flack vest, since I can't sew to save my life, any ideas?

The flight suit, well I'm still looking for an off the shelf version, but so far a "Dickies" work coverall converted looks promising.

If you have any tips on how to make this costume, patterns to share, or services to offer, here might be a good place to list it.

Thanks to dagobahswamp.com: The Leading Dagobah Swamp Site on the Net !

One More: Ejection Harnesses: http://www.stitchsloft.com/loft/custom-x-wing-ejection-harness/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Great thread - as you know I'm putting together an x-wing costume too so it's a case of great timing. :)

A few useful links:

http://echobaserebels.com/reference/xwingcostume/

http://echobaserebels.com/reference/xwingc...images/mom1.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/bubbas_barn/xwing-pilot.html

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/Xsydney/c...es/Pc220035.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.de/ti4477/xwing_e.html

http://www.swtroopers.com/misc_coveralls.htm

http://www.partsofsw.com/lukex.htm

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=rebel%...lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

I built my helmet from a kit, it's on Jez's site ('bout 3/4 way down the page):

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/rebelfan.htm

I'm planning to make my jumpsit from two orange coveralls using the pattterns on the echoebaserebels site.

Cheers,

Al

3. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

I'l throw my 2 cents in.

When I did mine (now sold), I had these peices or made it this way... if it helps.

my costume:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1- had one of Richies helmets from their first runs- Very nice. a Real AP would be only thing better IMO.

Vest:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(looks bad in pics, cause it was packed away and the loops got squished)

I made this with white canvas and white satiny material. I cut the vest front and back patterns out of the white canvas.
    Then took the white satiny material (not cut- and oversized) and sewed it to the top edge of canvas vest pattern.
    I took a round metal rod (thin) and inserted that between the 2 peices of materials.
    After over lapping the rod (creating a loop) I used strips of "hem tape" between the 2 peices of material, and ironed it down in place. Repeat this process by pulling out the rod and creating each loop. Use pictures to go by, and make the loops at the top- leave gap, and go on with more loops. After that, I trimmed down the stain material to match the Canvas pattern below. Once you have the look you want with the hem tape holding it in place, proceed to sew together under each "loop".
    I added a canvas belt material to the back side with a "d" ring buckle, and a metal push shape to the sides. (got these from the thrift store..on an old camera bag).
    Once that was all done, I just added white ribbed "stretch" material for the shoulder pieces to connect the front and back.

Boots: had German black high boots that did the trick

Flares: Used wooded dowel. Sanded down the edges to round them out and painted silver/grey

[​IMG]

Strapping for flares: Used same white canvas material and wraped each flare in, then sewed together.. once done, dyed an army greenish color with Rit.

I used grey seatbelt material for the strappings. I went to a junkyard and cut it out of a car.. didn't get charged a thing for it. Sewed it to the front and back of the vest. Then made loops and attached around the legs.

Glove: I bought a pair of harley gloves that worked well. Black leather gauntlets. Just removed the little metal harley tab/logo on the outter corner of gauntlet.

Code cylinders: made these out of a threaded rod and various size washer. Pretty easy now to find resin copies, or metal ones for sale here.

Overalls: I got a bulk order way back when for a bunch of people. There was a guy on ebay who had Orange work overalls that were used. I got 2 so one could be used for pockets and cylinder sleeve pockets. Just modified it and turned out well.

Don't think I did anything else.. My box was a Richie Chest box.

4. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's my old tutorial on making hardware data cylinders, still hosted over at Obi Wan's Jedi Academy:

http://www.jedi-academy.com/rebel_pilot_other.html

I now feel they're too big, so you might want to scale down the size of the washers you use.

5. division 6

division 6 Master Member

6. Mr. Bojangles

Mr. Bojangles Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I vacuumform my own chestboxes and make the molds out of wood. I even make a kid version for my daughter because I can't find any smaller chestbox out there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are pics of the adult one that I made.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. AlderaanGirl

AlderaanGirl Well-Known Member

Mr. Bojangles: Those look great. You're on ASAP Dewback Forums, right?

A lot of my references came from the EchoBase link of the Rebel Legion that was posted here. Division Six's references are part of Echo Base's as well. Hi-Impact did my helmet and chestbox. My flightsuit I modified from a flightsuit supplier listed at Echo Base. My vest I made using references from Echo Base and Division Six's references as well. I also made the ejection straps and belt. Again ejection straps info was at Echo Base. The belt though I made using references from the movie, stills and information from the Rebel Legion. My xwing tools were from our friend, elvistrooper (Kenny). Leather gauntlet gloves are motorcycle gloves I got from Ebay.

That basically covers it.

My Xwing pic from the RL
    [​IMG]
    Top of Flightsuit (after my modifications) Xwing Tools (from Elvistrooper)
    [​IMG]
    Creating the Flak Vest (major pain.)
    [​IMG]
    Leg Flare Strap w/ mini dowels shown for belt
    [​IMG]
    Belt w/mini flares (the actual metal buckle I got from Dewback Forum) Nylon webbing from StrapWorks listed at Echo Base. I bought the small grey nylon webbing for mini straps that hold the mini flares from JoAnn's Fabrics
    [​IMG]

8. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

The company that made the jumpsuits for the film is still in business..

-Brandon

9. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Guess I can post this pic.
    The Helmets and my chest box are H-I pieces. my nieces box I made from scratch.
    Well actually I made her entire costume from scratch in about 4 days. :eek
    [​IMG]
    D6

10. Nobody

Nobody Well-Known Member

I have made a couple of vests, here is one that I made for a buddy of mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  11. Mr. Bojangles

Yes, Iam.

I got a few of these buckles from a company abroad. It is pretty sad that no company in the US carry them :(

[​IMG]

Here is what I am looking for - the "insert clips" for the side vest. Anybody have pics that they can post?

Thanks
    :)

12. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

[image]http://www.dagobahswamp.com/images/projects/xwingpilot/xwingsideclip.jpg[/image]

this pic was in one of the links in the first post. (hard to see it at the angle)

I went thrifting one day and found a few old camera bag/cases made of leather. They had a similar clip as seen there.. I got a few and used those. I think they they worked out great, however, I don't have a picture of the side of my vest.

check Ebay for leather camera bags.. I just found one with a similar buckle at $4.99

[image]http://home.att.net/~mhzkang/BAGF00.jpg[/image]

13. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

Thanks B.. happen to know the name off hand of this company?

14. division 6

division 6 Master Member

You can get the side insert locks for the vest from Corellian Exports.

D6

15. Jimbo890

16. AlderaanGirl

AlderaanGirl Well-Known Member

Oops..I almost forgot Corellian Exports. I got the insert locks and commpad from CE as well. Sorry Vince. :unsure

Mr Bojangles: you are so right on those belt buckles for the belt. I got them from Dewback as well. I could not find them anywhere on the web. Glad to see you were able to get them.

17. obi1kenny

obi1kenny Well-Known Member

As mentioned above in this thread. If you want to upgrade to machined code cylinders then I still have a few on hand, just shoot me a PM.

[​IMG]

18. Jimbo890

19. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is Mine

[​IMG]

and this, my sons Helmet is a little oversized though

[​IMG]

20. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

one link i haven't seen mentioned in particular is the flight suit photo from the profiles in history auction:

http://echobaserebels.com/photos/displayim...?album=10&pos=1

if anyone sees any holes / errors in that echo base tutorial, let me know. i tried to gather the best info i'd seen from the various forums (crediting the sources of course)... i was trying for a sort of definitive look at the pilot.

21. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

nice pic Brian..

I have that and was going to post, but it exceeded WC hosting size.

didn't know it was out on the net elsewhere. (figured as much, but didn't know about it)

22. Brinn 71

Brinn 71 Well-Known Member

LOVE the X-Wing pilot suits.
    Here's my outfit. Its a 'W' Hemet and chestbox that I got as a kit and built.
    Since taking this pic (for the rebelscum Halloween contest) I got RA arm tools and leg flares.
    I'd LOVE to get the right clasps for my flight vest and a metal belt ring for my waist belt. The belts you see are from RA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The suit and vest were made by a seamstress friend of mine. PM me if you want details.

Great thread.

Brinn 71

23. Mr. Bojangles

If there is enough interest for the belt buckle. I can get more from abroad.

Please post if you're interested.

Thanks

[​IMG]

24. Jimbo890

I'd be game for a few.

25. Jimbo890

here is a shot of the chestbox prototype:

[​IMG]

I'm still researching the control dial. [Thats a TOS trek comm thumbwheel used on the prototype.]

26. Mr. Bojangles

Cool prototype Jimbo.

I think the lines should be thinner. I am redoing my decal lines to 1/16".

BTW, I do have a few buckles for the vest and the chestbox too.

PM me if anybody interested in acquiring these. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

Are those silver buckles the right one for the lower chestbox strap? I have never been able to see a properly documented photo that shows it clear enough.

28. Brinn 71

How about these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brinn 71

29. Treadwell

30. Mr. Bojangles

That is the closest you can get :p

[​IMG]

31. Treadwell

[​IMG]

These are used on US Army load-bearing suspenders. Check your surplus stores.

[​IMG]
    (ignore Mutt. ;) )

32. JHVanOphem

Yeah I have the flak vest one, I got mine surplus with a sleeping bag holder. In fact it also provided me with the 1-inch OD straps for my box. Cost me a whole dollar (Canadian.) I am using one of those for the chestbox buckle as well, since I had the extra and it was already attached.

I knew the chestbox buckle is silver in colour, and thanks Brinn for those photos, those were new to me. But its still not 100% obvious that the buckles in the pic above are the exact ones.

Previous the clearest pic I've seen are from the (*gasp*) Holiday Special, and that new pic seems to indicate its a Conway type of buckle?

[​IMG]

33. JHVanOphem

Oh sorry, I take that back. I just did a zoom in and upped the gamma on the other pic and its much more obvious its a buckle similar to what is pictured above.

It also looks like that one end in attached and the longer part is looped around. You can see a bit of orange showing through on one side beside the attached point, and a bit of the strap hanging below and underneath the main strap.

34. Brinn 71

Here's an attempt to showcase the buckles:
    [​IMG]
    The pics above were capped from the 'Empire of Dreams' DVD.

B

35. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Great info in this thread.

Jimbo890, that chest box looks the business.. :thumbsup

Al

36. Jimbo890

Thanks for the positive feedback. I agree, the next one I do I'll use 1/16 inch material, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the results.

37. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

man. why are my military surplus stores so expensive. 'round here i paid $15 for a used duffle bag to get some straps.

38. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I'd be interested in a few. How many are used for each costume?

39. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Interested here, too.

40. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Do most folks use seat belt material for the legstraps and harness? Anyone have a good source?

41. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I take it you'd rather not just share your source for the buckles?

42. TD5422

TD5422 Well-Known Member

2 questions
    1. Anyone know what happened to Richie's Armor? their site is down.

2. What are the rivet looking things on Lukes vest? front shoulder straps, I don't see them on anyone's vest

I'll try to get a cap is I can get my laptop working :cry

43. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Luke had clips riveted on the (back) in empire, similer to the light saber clips on OB1's belt.
    All the pilots wore them backwards in Empire.

He uses one of them to clip the graple gun to when getting out of the downed speeder.
    And yes he's the only one with them.

D6

44. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Richie's Armor is history? If that's true, that's too bad.

I just ran out of the Flak Vest insertion locks.

However, if any one is interested in getting them, send me a pm or email. I can put you on a waiting list. I use to sell these for around $12 a set, shipped.

I got one email a few weeks back from some one who was interested, but that was about it. I'm due to place another bulk order.

I also have plenty of X-wing comm pad kits in stock. See my post in the junkyard.

Be sure and check out the posts on ASAP, under rebel costuming. We've got some good threads going in reference to the x-wing costume and all the components.

There is also the dewback wing group over at yahoo. We've got plenty of reference photos. MJF occasionally sells the X-Wing belt buckles.

Good luck with the cosutme. ;)

45. RICHIES ARMOR

RICHIES ARMOR Sr Member

I wish I would quit being "history".

Still here.....

Richie

46. Mr. Bojangles

[​IMG]

I just received a dozen of these yesterday and 5 of them are gone (pre-order).

PM me if anybody interested.

47. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

PM sent for a buckle.

48. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

49. TD5422

TD5422 Well-Known Member

Do you still do custom work on flight helmets?

50. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Well-Known Member

Forget custom work, do you still make kits??