The Ultimate Luke ANH Graflex Research & Discussion Thread

If you mean this stamp on the clamp
1705530424440.png
it's not a serial number but the RAF reference number for the flashes (so it is the same on all of them)
There was an actual serial number on the camera though.
1705530872288.png

1705530842658.png

Not sure if all of them came with flashes but it is likely it was a standardized kit.
Also keep in mind that the flashes were not uniquely made only for RAF (except the clamp bar stamp) they were making and selling the same flashes at the same time for anyone to buy.

But how many Graflexes did the world lose to WW2 scrap metal domination drives?

Also, is it Graflexes? Is Graflex plural? Graflexi?

I missed a zero. My eyes are getting to old typing on the smart phone
I guess so - you missed the second o in "too" as well. ;):p

Also, is it Graflexes? Is Graflex plural? Graflexi?
I think Graflexes is acceptable. Although "how many Graflex did the world lose..." has a nice elegance to it. Kind of like how the plural of Jedi is... Jedi. I just want to thank you for not infuriatingly mis-using an apostrophe by typing "how many Graflex's..." :lol:

I guess so - you missed the second o in "too" as well. ;):p

I think Graflexes is acceptable. Although "how many Graflex did the world lose..." has a nice elegance to it. Kind of like how the plural of Jedi is... Jedi. I just want to thank you for not infuriatingly mis-using an apostrophe by typing "how many Graflex's..." :lol:
1705567684530.gif

Now I know your not going to critique Master Yoda’s grammar!

Last edited:
Good afternoon people. I'm building an ANH GRAFLEX using a Roman's replica. I'm pretty sure this has been answered before but... How do I remove the clamp washer?

Good afternoon people. I'm building an ANH GRAFLEX using a Roman's replica. I'm pretty sure this has been answered before but... How do I remove the clamp washer?
Here is some fun engineering stuff, I’ve always found the clamp material to release that pressure when it’s squeezed. So I take the clamp off the saber so you can squeeze it smaller than the diameter of the tube. This should push the clamp bar lower than the square shoulder of the lever post. Once it’s down there you can “unscrew” the lever to get the washer off.

I repeat the process to get it back on… squeeze the clamp enough to get the lever to thread across the clamp and then keep it a little squished to tighten it. Once you’re good, let it go and the clamp will spring back to the square shoulder of the clamp lever

So I have to remove the screw the Roman's has on the top tube to prevent It from being disasembled. Should I keep It off or was it on the original saber? The screw I mean.

I have attached the rivets and the D-Ring just to realice the printed guide no longer works with those on. I'm on my own with the t-track now :lol: At least the rivets were easy.

So I've been thinking about the ANH Graflex RAF military stamp on the original prop, and I'm wondering what y'all's opinion is on the following:

In the original reference photo released on StarWars.com for the 40th anniversary, the stamped characters seem to be unevenly spaced and slightly skewed in relation to each other. By contrast, the real RAF stamped bars that have been found by a few members here seem to have the characters all evenly spaced and level on the bar.

What is y'all's opinion: in looking at the real prop reference photo, are the stamped characters evenly or unevenly spaced? Do we have better reference to prove the characters orientation over another?

(Photos courtesy of Roy Gilsing, Ian Smith and Nick Cline)

(RPF Roy Gilsing May '17).jpg

(RPF The Ninja).jpg

(The Ninja).png

01 ANH Vintage Folmer no-patent Graflex - Nick Cline.jpg

So I've been thinking about the ANH Graflex RAF military stamp on the original prop, and I'm wondering what y'all's opinion is on the following:

In the original reference photo released on StarWars.com for the 40th anniversary, the stamped characters seem to be unevenly spaced and slightly skewed in relation to each other. By contrast, the real RAF stamped bars that have been found by a few members here seem to have the characters all evenly spaced and level on the bar.

What is y'all's opinion: in looking at the real prop reference photo, are the stamped characters evenly or unevenly spaced? Do we have better reference to prove the characters orientation over another?

(Photos courtesy of Roy Gilsing, Ian Smith and Nick Cline)

View attachment 1788818

View attachment 1788819

View attachment 1788820

View attachment 1788821
I could see some of the letter being crooked. Could just be the graininess from the photo though.

It’s always seemed crooked to me, and yes I absolutely noticed the difference in the ones we’ve found.

Honestly.. the ones they used were found in a camera shop, loose in a box. It could be that they were deeper in production, to the point they were stamping the letters separately because it was faster or something? We’ve seen differences in the Obi Wan grenade etchings, and the machining, so I’m wondering if it’s the same part but further on in war production?

Okay I can’t wait any longer to show this, even though I’ve barely just received it..

Newly-found and verified all genuine vintage RAF stamped early New York no patent Folmer Graflex with all the bells and whistles! (Except for the glass eye, I can live with that)

IMG_3928.jpeg

Looking good!

IMG_3933.jpegIMG_3929.jpegIMG_3932.jpeg
IMG_3931.jpeg

IMG_3934.jpeg

I’d have loved to have posted a pic of this assembled, I just hadn’t gotten round to it yet. In any case! Thought I should log this one’s existence on the RPF as there are so few of these! Still not sure what the plan is here, just so pleased to own such an awesome part of movie (and photography of course) history :)

MTFBWY!

ChrisR

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back