The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

Mouse Vader
In November of 1976, a novelization based on Lucas’ screenplay was published.
That is probably what the article is referring to.
E0A954DD-2009-4030-989B-DD548BB53D8B.png

Last edited:
This is an excellent resource!

This may be a dumb question but I've been mulling finally building up my Folmer flash gun to an ESB era lightsaber and I was thinking about the D-ring clip. It's always called a "Kobold" clip but how do we know that? Is there something that definitely states that a Kobold clip was used? I ask because the Linhof flash guns also can be found with an identical clip so couldn't it be just as likely it came from one of those? Maybe I'm splitting hairs and being overly pedantic but I'm genuinely curious! Lol!

I could be mistaken, but amongst the Kobolds, there are a few different types of clips. The main difference is the placement of the holes. teecrooz can verify this, but I think the models the Linof's ape generally do not have the matching holes.

They are identical. Some flashes have the holes drilled on left side and some on the right but to my knowledge it is not specific to the brand. At least both the kobold and linhof I have are on the same side. I think its generally called "Kobold" as it was first identified on Kobold flashes.
Besides the hole placement these clips also differ in finish - some are shiny chrome and others are darker in color (like most replicas).

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find anything in search results.

What is the consensus on the saber in these BTS photos by Brian Griffin?

It looks like the V2 without its PCB and the booster and pommel in a different position?

The cone knob looks to almost be aligned with the control box. The latter also looks to be missing its lever or may not be a graflex clamp at all?

V2.png

(all credits to Brian Griffin / Star Wars Archives)

Last edited:
This thread? Antique Market Find!
Circa 1978
View attachment 1397574
THIS IS SO INTERESTING. I wonder when the content was written and from what source. Obviously the illustrations shown are inaccurate. Almost like they intended all 3 sabers to be graflex-based?

The funny little lever on the “graflex” is priceless. I remember seeing a lot of early replicas based on what I now assume to be that drawing.

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find anything in search results.

It looks like the V2 without its PCB and the booster and pommel in a different position?

The cone knob looks to almost be aligned with the control box. The latter also looks to be missing its lever or may not be a graflex clamp at all?

View attachment 1410496

I also don't see a lever and the card, instead there's what looks like 2 screws (or even obi-wan style transistors) in the control box.

View attachment 1410496

Absolutely the V2, You're looking at the reflections of the lines on the Graflex clamp. The clamp box is turned towards the guy's leg, and we can see the cone knob and chunk probably

I agree with Tom. If you look at the rest of the pics in that photo shoot, it’s obvious that that isn’t the activation box facing the camera. That pic is full of digital noise that appears to form an empty box, however taking the other pics in the set into consideration, it looks like the normal V2 with the graflex clamp in the regular orientation.

Last edited:
I have to admit the emitter plate of the V2 looks big in some shots on set and much smaller in post.

Absolutely the V2, You're looking at the reflections of the lines on the Graflex clamp. The clamp box is turned towards the guy's leg, and we can see the cone knob and chunk probably
That makes a lot of sense. Can see the reflections now as well.

Nice pictures nonetheless, wish the one with Vader's saber was clearer.

It can be something photoshopped or some weird scaling artifacts, but can't be just noise. Those 2 bright spots on the clamp are bigger than the mystery chunk that is also clearly visible. If it is not photoshopped could be a clamp like this one:
IMG_5806.png

The V2 swaps orientations a lot throughout filming. For example,

Clamp aligned with cone knob [on Endor set]:
1610389539673.png

Clamp opposite cone knob [Endor catwalk pickup shot] Likely the orientation in those pics, since this was scene was filmed later when publicity stills like that would probably be shot. Especially since Luke and Vader are both in costume here, they could have taken those pics before or after filming this scene actually.
1610389512049.png

I'm pretty sure those artifacts on the clamp are the grooves on the clamp catching the light. The V2 definitely did not have transistors at this point

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back