The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Ok I’ll give it a go. Freezer didn’t help. I’m thinking it must have been cemented in place as suggested above.

Ok I’ll give it a go. Freezer didn’t help. I’m thinking it must have been cemented in place as suggested above.
I would try to hit the cap from the top, then hit it from the bottom, then spray with something you got and use two pliers one for the body other for the cap (I'd put thick leather in between not to damage the metal) and slowly try to move it both ways. This way I could open my grenade and neck that not even the seller could open (he tried heat as well).

Mine is fused in place too. I never wanted to do internal parts with my real parts build, so I just made a custom spacer to accommodate it.

How important is the cap to you? You could always just drill it out and look for a replacement later.

Mine is fused in place too. I never wanted to do internal parts with my real parts build, so I just made a custom spacer to accommodate it.

How important is the cap to you? You could always just drill it out and look for a replacement later.
Yeah I've thought about this ... because really the cap isn't important. But I feel like it's just one more way for me to possibly ruin a very very nice grenade, so I might just give up on this little quest.

I wouldn’t hit this grenade that hard. They are made to splinter and being over 100 years old I would do this with caution

Different metals can react with each other and it’s possible the steel and brass have fused together at the molecular level.

Since you can access the inside of the grenade by unscrewing the windvane could you section your components and just run wires through the fuse cap hole to connect everything together?

Since you can access the inside of the grenade by unscrewing the windvane could you section your components and just run wires through the fuse cap hole to connect everything together?
Yes, and I've thought about this. But then the rub is getting the grenade to sit safely on the assembly. Now there's nothing keeping it on. There are still some possibilities to explore though ...

I finally looked for the engraving on my emitter. It’s hard to really see in person and harder to photograph.

0CD2A05C-007C-4B21-BB3F-1307185C4C7F.jpeg

Ian also known as The Ninja asked me to make him an adapter for the Obi balance pipe. He asked if I would add to O rings. The one I made for myself I had to stick a sliver of tape to keep the pipe secure. The two O rings in the middle give it a really nice solid snug fit with no wobble and no chance of it slipping off. The tolerances are pretty tight so it takes firm pressure to take it on and off, but I'm really happy with it and thought I'd share the idea. After plenty of experimenting It's for sure the best way to hold a balance pipe in place. I faced the part, but It could use some light sanding.

pTaDKEv.jpg

MANgPqK.jpg

WMku2Nb.jpg

Hallelujah!!! I got the grenade cap off. And, because I will probably never stop messing with this thing, I have a new assembly mechanism for the balance pipe. I hate the idea of friction keeping the thing on, I turned to the idea of an expander plug from the bicycle industry. Two inner halves screw together in a cup-and-cone manner, pushing the outer walls apart (and into the inner wall of the tube, or in this case, the balance pipe). Then, the finished assembly has internal threading to which you can attach whatever you want. In the case of a bicycle, it's your top cap. In the case of the saber, it's the windvane assembly. So, no friction needed, and we get a very secure assembly.

DSC_4174.jpg

DSC_4170.jpg

DSC_4177.jpg

DSC_4164.jpg

DSC_4161.jpg

DSC_4129.jpg

DSC_4134.jpg
DSC_4158.jpg

There are two black metal parts that thread into each other. As mentioned, as they come closer together, they push in a cup and cone fashion against the outer silver metal parts. That pushes the silver metal outwards, into the inner diameter of the tube.

The black parts have an 8mm hex wrench socket by which to tighten. Then they also have M6 internal threading. Pretty standard stuff. The only trick is finding one short enough for our balance pipe. I know of at least two brands that work.

Hallelujah!!! I got the grenade cap off. And, because I will probably never stop messing with this thing, I have a new assembly mechanism for the balance pipe. I hate the idea of friction keeping the thing on, I turned to the idea of an expander plug from the bicycle industry. Two inner halves screw together in a cup-and-cone manner, pushing the outer walls apart (and into the inner wall of the tube, or in this case, the balance pipe). Then, the finished assembly has internal threading to which you can attach whatever you want. In the case of a bicycle, it's your top cap. In the case of the saber, it's the windvane assembly. So, no friction needed, and we get a very secure assembly.
View attachment 1481349
View attachment 1481348

View attachment 1481350
View attachment 1481351
View attachment 1481352

View attachment 1481353
View attachment 1481355View attachment 1481354
Cool idea, the one downside is it doesn’t look accurate on the front face. I’m happy to hear you got that stubborn grenade apart. I was getting a tad nervous for you.

View attachment 1481349
View attachment 1481348

View attachment 1481350
View attachment 1481351
View attachment 1481352

View attachment 1481353
View attachment 1481355View attachment 1481354
very cool idea! being a avid cyclist i can respect this. just remember, its your saber, you can do what ever you want with it ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back