The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

I'd also be curious who authenticated its parts.
I was curious about that too. The parts are real, all the indicators are there from what I can see, still it would be nice to know who’s saber it was prior to purchasing. It definitely helps give validation. Plus it’s just nice to trace back and find out for example what engine that pipe came from. Was it the second engine found, stuff like that.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, & say..... this is gonna go for over the high estimate.
I never get tired of seeing photos of this lightsaber. I absolutely love it! :love:
I think it might too. Lets say it goes for 30k. What does that mean for us? How does it translate into the market?

We all see what these parts sell for.

Its totally possible that some new collector sees this auction and doesn't read the info correctly and shells out a ton of money thinking its a original production piece cuz its coming from the propstore.

Or everyone watching it knows exactly what it is and bids low till time runs out hoping to get it under what they know its worth. Im just throwing scenarios out. Theres obviously more to consider. And yes seeing obi builds never gets old.

Well, let's do some math :D

BP = $7500-8500 lately
Grenade - these are all over, let's say $2-3K, more depending on version and condition.
Clamp and bubble strip - we'll say $500 for the combo just to make the math easy. Exactras are in the $250ish range right now.
Booster - $2-3K seems about right too.
Handwheel - $3-400
Transistors are basically free - looks like motorolas on the one in the auction. Whatever, no one has the right ones yet anyway.

<gets out calculator...>

If we use the high numbers there...we get $15400. You definitely pay a premium for getting it assembled and ready to roll all at once. No hunting for years for parts, no joining forums and learning the "in" crowd, you just write a check and you're done. That's worth quite a bit, really.

Extra bonus points for it coming from a known source, not some sketchy forum where you don't really "know" the people until you hang out for a while.

For a collector with the cash who doesn't "love the hobby" to the point where they want to spend years tracking this down, $17k seems like a cheap price of admission. Wait until the Obi show comes out, especially since we know there have been some insiders trolling the forums and getting some real parts that may or may not end up on screen.

Well, let's do some math :D

BP = $7500-8500 lately
Grenade - these are all over, let's say $2-3K, more depending on version and condition.
Clamp and bubble strip - we'll say $500 for the combo just to make the math easy. Exactras are in the $250ish range right now.
Handwheel - $3-400
Transistors are basically free - looks like motorolas on the one in the auction. Whatever, no one has the right ones yet anyway.

<gets out calculator...>

If we use the high numbers there...we get $15400. You definitely pay a premium for getting it assembled and ready to roll all at once. No hunting for years for parts, no joining forums and learning the "in" crowd, you just write a check and you're done. That's worth quite a bit, really.

Extra bonus points for it coming from a known source, not some sketchy forum where you don't really "know" the people until you hang out for a while.

For a collector with the cash who doesn't "love the hobby" to the point where they want to spend years tracking this down, $17k seems like a cheap price of admission. Wait until the Obi show comes out, especially since we know there have been some insiders trolling the forums and getting some real parts that may or may not end up on screen.
On point!

So what is time and energy worth? Is that even calculable? Theres a good amount of people that jumped into this game a few years ago that put one together in no time. Some threw money at it and some found them at a good price. Others have been looking for ever and have not.

Considering most of these parts are rare. And getting them can be an expensive experience. Where are we at with this prop that doesn't exist? It is a unicorn prop.

If it’s real it won’t and that statement is completely wrong. Many have paid a strong price for parts we’d rather hold. My guess is either they got the parts early on or it’s a desperate sale for cash. I don’t recognize who’s it is.

Here's the link.

Yes, I was surprised to see such a "low" starting point, given the current market value of the parts. I think the final auction price will exceed the 10K mark, but even if it doesn't, I don't see this one sale changing the overall value of the real parts, particularly amongst the collectors here.

As many of you know, my BP is currently on sale in the Junkyard and I've gotten a few questions as to why it is priced so high. To be completely honest, I'm not desperate to sell it and if it doesn't get purchased, I'll be happy to hold onto it for the time being. I'm sure I could have listed it at 5K or 6K and maybe it would have sold quickly, but part of the reason for the current asking price is out of respect for the members of this forum who have paid high prices for these parts and to ensure that I didn't devalue the BP in the hopes of a quick sale. It's been in my possession for 15 years so maybe it's destined to stay a little longer :)

Dan

BP = $7500-8500 lately
Handwheel - $3-400

<gets out calculator...>

And that's being conservative on some of these parts. a cold Handwheel is usually more like the $500-600 range it seems.

The booster now is more like $3k-4k. I would have jumped up and down to get one for 2k when I got mine back in December.

The last engine females went for $7500. Supply and demand definitely can bump that.

Agreed I don’t think you can build one for under 15k and if you do be excited because you did good. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised seeing one go at auction right now for $17K.

Last edited:
The owner is a member here and knows what he paid for the parts and can also see all the recent sales talk on them. I put it together a few years ago for him so it's all legit.

I’ll add to this. I sold this saber to the current owner. At the time I had multiple of each part on hand and let him pick out each piece. I then shipped it all to Scott for any finishing assembly.

Hey Sym-Cha, its nice to see you back! What do you think? Am i derailing your thread? This beautiful collection of obi saber talk is your baby. We are all still here enjoying it.

It's all fine by me ... I'm still here ... lurking in the trenches ;)

No3MKI grenade and rifle.jpg

Chaïm

P.S. I wonder what a male converted BP would fetch these days?

It's not unusual to set "low" starting bids at auction houses. Look at the major auctions for collectible cars or firearms. Setting low barriers to entry routinely brings hammer prices way over the catalog estimates.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back