The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

I'm a johnny-come-lately newb. I continue to be impressed by the skills of those who seem to dig things up from amazing places - whereas I find things that don't exist and get ripped off!

Oh to have been in the game way back when Chaim! I say better late than never. Even though it's a costly build present-day, I stop to think about what does the value of one of these look like 20 years from now? Not that I would ever sell it, but these parts are not going to get easier to source. Either way it's totally worth it to me.

Well that maybe the current rate for all the separate parts, that's not what I paid for mine ... though I was lucky getting my booster early on from the member who discovered the original part for a fair price ... then again I paid the jackpot for my first handwheel after many hours of searching ebay, than I found another for far less and one that was part of the deal for the balance pipe . . . when I'd put together the one with the cheapest parts it's about half of yours including the booster otherwise it would be another $1000 :wacko That said an all vintage parts OB1 ANH coming from my infamous collection would make it priceless, of course :lol

Chaïm

Oh to have been in the game way back when Chaim! I say better late than never. Even though it's a costly build present-day, I stop to think about what does the value of one of these look like 20 years from now? Not that I would ever sell it, but these parts are not going to get easier to source. Either way it's totally worth it to me.

Thats why I am curious to know the how many known vintage OB1 there are - not the names of those who own them (for reasons previously noted). 10? 20?

Well, I think 3 engines have been found. There's 9 female BPs & 9 males per engine. However, I don't even think the males were considered until the 2nd or third engine. Please one of the senior members correct me if I'm wrong about that. Anyway I'm guessing between 30-40. Definitely no more than 50.

Thats why I am curious to know the how many known vintage OB1 there are - not the names of those who own them (for reasons previously noted). 10? 20?

I know of 41 large assemblies and 29 small. Some of the 29 were converted to resemble the large assemblies, but not all.

41 = Four engines at nine per engine (36). Plus four New/Old stock and one sourced independently.
29 = Three engines at nine per engine (27). Plus two New/Old stock. I do not know that the small assemblies from the first engine were retained.

Thanks for the clarification teecrooz!

I know of 41 large assemblies and 29 small. Some of the 29 were converted to resemble the large assemblies, but not all.

41 = Four engines at nine per engine (36). Plus four New/Old stock and one sourced independently.
29 = Three engines at nine per engine (27). Plus two New/Old stock. I do not know that the small assemblies from the first engine were retained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Where would you even find a new/old stock Balance Pipe? That kind of seems like something to me that really wouldn't/shouldn't exist at this point..

And yet, I have one. Albeit, a gender-changed version. Thanks, Edraven99, for opening up that slow leak in the kids college fund... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Where would you even find a new/old stock Balance Pipe? That kind of seems like something to me that really wouldn't/shouldn't exist at this point..

Sitting on the shelf of some air plane repair shop. Dad and I have plenty of vintage ford race parts still in the factory boxes dating back to the 50s

It's possible, u just need to look really really hard.

@Marv bought a box or pallet of old parts and there were two NOS females and two males in with the parts. The other two were found by a now banned member.

Here's mine with the box, the plastic bag with the red wax it was covered in, and a copy of the stock card behind. You can see that there is still red wax in the holes.

Attachments

• IMG_4826.JPG
    IMG_4826.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4827.JPG
    IMG_4827.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
Last edited:
@Marv bought a box or pallet of old parts and there were two NOS females and two males in with the parts. The other two were found by a now banned member.

Here's mine with the box, the plastic bag with the red wax it was covered in, and a copy of the stock card behind. You can see that there is still red wax in the holes.

That's pretty sweet man! Love the look of it.

I started looking for my AS starlite handwheel, but it unfortunately is postponed as I am also just got a gig that will keep me away from home for almost 3 months.

Last edited:
Hey Obi fans, I hope I'm not a premature poster to this thread but figured I'd show off the start I've gotten on my real parts Obi-Wan saber. So far it's just a balance pipe (male), vintage Graflex Clamp and vintage 1970s Motorola transistors. Needless to say quite a ways to go but enough to get me excited about it. Very grateful for everybody here and the fast flowing and free wheeling info sharing that keeps the hobby going.

Pic here is the vintage parts alongside another recent pickup I'm super stoked about, a Romans Mk1 weathered fx hilt with Rudy Pando crystal chamber (hiding in the grenade).

Hope to be able to have more to contribute to the group as we go along.

IMG_1056.JPG

The things that come up in this thread!

Such. Legendary. Stories. Just so much gold.

Thanks for sharing Chris!

I have added the main header again and the picture with the origin of all the vintage parts see post#2 ... now via my flickr account :)

Chaïm

Thanks Chaïm. I love that photo. :thumbsup It was my screen saver for a while.
Another day off, another day of searching for a grenade & booster. I've come close a few times to getting the Hales (sadly all the deals have fallen through :cry ) but I've never seen a recoil booster anywhere. My hat's off to those lucky enough to obtain them. My hunt goes on.
& Teecrooz, your factory fresh balance pipe is truly a thing of beauty. (y)thumbsup

Another day off, another day of searching for a grenade & booster. I've come close a few times to getting the Hales (sadly all the deals have fallen through :cry ) but I've never seen a recoil booster anywhere. My hat's off to those lucky enough to obtain them. My hunt goes on.

I'm in the same boat man, still need the Grenade, Booster, and Sink Tap. I'm using a male Balance Pipe at the moment as well, so I know the pain. After I get back from my work trip in December I'll be kicking my search into high gear. Good Luck!

I'm in the same boat man, still need the Grenade, Booster, and Sink Tap. I'm using a male Balance Pipe at the moment as well, so I know the pain. After I get back from my work trip in December I'll be kicking my search into high gear. Good Luck!

Good luck to you as well sir :thumbsup
If you come across anything with "extras" ;), keep me in mind.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back