The Terminator 1984- Kyle Reese Trench Coats, Shoes, and more

image.jpgHey guys , I am meeting Michael Bien on Saturday at a Con and have been working on my Kyle Reese costume. I got the jacket two button cuff version. the Nike 2015 edition Vandals, my stripe T-shirt isn't as close to screen accurate as I didn't have time to have one made. And the pants I picked up in Grey, they have the one button pocket at the back and the elastic waistband. My job tonight is to paint them up using some scrrenshots I took and hopefully they look ok. I will post some pics once they are painted up. And my pic with Michael on Saturday, see what he thinks of the costume :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 368
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Greetings fellow Terminator fans. I've been visiting this thread a lot recently after finally deciding on what to cosplay as for this year's New York Comic Con. If you haven't guessed by now, I've decided to go as the awesome Kyle Reese from Terminator 1. My brother had bought me the Kyle Reese Vandals just last month as a gift ever since they were re-released by Nike through the Nike Lab. I've been wearing the crap out of them ever since then. I wore them on vacation last month, occasionally wore them to work here and there but I didn't actually realize that they weren't really screen accurate until I saw this thread. Being incredibly bothered by this, I took the liberty though to break out some old Black Angelus Paint and I custom painted the silver stripe on the back to actually match what Kyle wore in the film. The results speak for themselves.

DSC00024.JPG

From far away, these sneakers look dead on from the movie. The Angelus Leather Paint I used though does become incredibly noticeable upon closer look. It honestly doesn't bother me too much, I'm just glad to have a pair of the shoes. I've already got a jacket, shirt and pants on the way. I can't wait to start painting up the pants. I can't wait to share my costume with you guys. I actually thought of going as Kyle Reese from the second act of the movie with the black jacket but as this thread suggested, that jacket is a lot harder to find.

In many ways the Nikelab Vandal from this year is more accurate to the 1984 sneaker than any of the past releases. These versions were all based on the Vandal "Supreme" pattern which is missing some of the stitching, and has a slightly different profile. While the 2015 sneaker may be more like the original in construction it seems they intentionally changed a few details. Even the sneakers in Genisys are not as accurate to the 1984 original.

http://m.solecollector.com/news/nike-vandal-terminator-genisys-costume-designer/

The one detail I am missing the most is the black tread. The strap material is a different texture and I too want to paint that grey canvas strip on the heel black.

Nice job on that heel correction.

In many ways the Nikelab Vandal from this year is more accurate to the 1984 sneaker than any of the past releases. These versions were all based on the Vandal "Supreme" pattern which is missing some of the stitching, and has a slightly different profile. While the 2015 sneaker may be more like the original in construction it seems they intentionally changed a few details. Even the sneakers in Genisys are not as accurate to the 1984 original.

http://m.solecollector.com/news/nike-vandal-terminator-genisys-costume-designer/

The one detail I am missing the most is the black tread. The strap material is a different texture and I too want to paint that grey canvas strip on the heel black.

Nice job on that heel correction.

For anyone considering painting the heel stripes on their Vandals, just use some masking tape on all sides to ensure that your paint job is neat. I'm sure there is a way to prep the stripes before painting, perhaps using a coat of fabric paint to prep the stripe and then two coats of Angelus Leather Black paint to paint the stripe a nice black color. I didn't use fabric paint to prep mine so under heavy lighting and really close inspection, you can actually tell that it was painted a different color. To avoid that, a coat of fabric paint (either white or black) should do the trick. Perhaps it's that silver 3M style canvas material that makes the paint more noticeable under heavy lighting. Regardless though, your end result will definitely be worth it as you'll have a much more screen accurate version of the Kyle Reese Vandals Michael Biehn wore in the movie. It doesn't matter to me too much since I wear these sneakers pretty frequently. This won't be a one-and-done deal for me, I do plan on rocking these Vandals even after comic con. Obviously, I won't be in full Kyle Reese attire but these sneakers have always been a favorite of mine ever since I first saw the movie. It feels good to finally own a pair that looks pretty damn close to what he wore in the film. I'll be sure to update this thread with the rest of my costume.

Angelus leather paint is not meant for canvas you have to mix it with golden gac 900 fabric medium first to make it safe for fabric. If you don't The Angelus will start to crack over time and rub off. You can mix it in a one to one ratio with the fabric medium or use meltonian suede renew which is pretty much a sprayable black dye.

Charity shop find gray and dark grey stripe top. Neck line cut like Reese's now i have cheap yet effective Kyle Reese shirt to wear anytime. View attachment 512812

I'll be damned. That's on par with my custom made one for sure. Excellent find man! Knock those sleeves off and you'll be good to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Managed to somehow score a legit vintage pair of Vandals in my exact size luckily, so now I can wear a pair with my costume without being ultra worried about them getting smudged or damaged etc. Spare pair is never a bad investment.

$_57 (4).JPG

Just had this made up:

12080778_10153035068611836_1804286808_n.jpg

Just need to get some fine adjustments made tonight when I go to collect.

Anyone else had any luck with the pants? I ordered a pair of the grey rugby pants from ebay that looked right on the money in the pics, but when they turned up they were more of a silver than grey and had massive creases ironed into the front of the legs (granddad pants).

I think the style of the pants is somewhere between the rugby pant and a fine pair of English 'jogging trousers.' Just finding them in the right material and colour without sports logos all over them is a NIGHTMARE....

And now the trousers - going to get some elastic and modify the waist on these, but other than that I think they're a spot on match for colour and fit. The pants in the film aren't excessively baggy like the rugby pants I had. Infact they're quite a narrow straight leg fit.

12141504_10153038839206836_5196778676714670379_n.jpg

While painting these, I actually realised the paint on the trousers changes completely between scenes in the film :lol

Just confirming that colour match on the pants

View attachment 540135

Movie lighting can be a tricky thing ;)

Then it also depends on the film stock they used, which lens for the camera, any filters they might have used, post-processing oh and not to mention what source you're using, just check the huge difference between two different blu-ray releases:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6538605&postcount=652

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6539023&postcount=671
Not to mention another huge factor: the monitor you're using, and what settings said monitor is using.

So trying to color match something you see "on screen" is next to impossible.

Then it also depends on the film stock they used, which lens for the camera, any filters they might have used, post-processing oh and not to mention what source you're using, just check the huge difference between two different blu-ray releases:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6538605&postcount=652

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6539023&postcount=671
Not to mention another huge factor: the monitor you're using, and what settings said monitor is using.

So trying to color match something you see "on screen" is next to impossible.

Wow. Those comparison shots... 100% agreed. The coat and vandals are easy to match, but the shirt, pants and the paint weathering on the pants are near impossible to match due to so many variables. There's no doubt an element of colour perception aswell, as we all know people see colours slightly differently.

I think I'm happy with where my costume is at, even though 100% accuracy will never be achievable. All in time for Halloween aswell :)

Wow. Those comparison shots... 100% agreed. The coat and vandals are easy to match, but the shirt, pants and the paint weathering on the pants are near impossible to match due to so many variables. There's no doubt an element of colour perception aswell, as we all know people see colours slightly differently.

I think I'm happy with where my costume is at, even though 100% accuracy will never be achievable. All in time for Halloween aswell :)

Yeah, exactly. If a black and blue dress can be perceived as white and gold then yeah.... people won't agree even if it is a match :p

I totally agree with this,

Just as the T800's punk pattern t shirt changes throughout the movie, i believe Kyle's pants do as well. I have studied his pants for years now and i even asked Michael Biehn when i met him at a convention about the pants worn he simply said they where painted to look dirty.

this is my fav photo for using when i was making my replica pants.
t1-set-michael-034.jpg

What makes me think there was more than one pair used.

Whilst sawing the the shotgun his pants aren't as paint stained as the pic posted above.
Kyle Reese Screen Shot 09.jpg

His pants in this set photo are heavily paint stained
t1-set-cast-033.jpg

Now in the Tiki Motel the paint stains aren't the same
t1-set-cast-055.jpg

he has a hole in the knee of his pants in the deleted scene
Kyle Reese Screen Shot 02.jpg

My pants i got signed :p
Untitled-3.jpg

Some great examples there terminator fan. Nice on getting the pants signed. I met Michael twice now - first time he signed a Kyle Reese pic and second time he signed my Aliens poster which I nearly have everyone on now :)

Just curious who has actually worn a Kyle Reese costume out for Halloween yet? I bet it would be fairly well recognised at a Convention, but on a regular Halloween I'm expecting many remarks of 'why are you dressed like a homeless man' or 'why are you wearing a flasher coat.' :D

Only one way to find out for sure!

Love this thread, it has motivated me to finish my my outfit. The other motivation being I found his green trench coat at goodwill acouple weeks ago after years of searching locally. Just got material for my shirt acouple days ago and found some pants today. Hope to have all of it done in acouple weeks for the local comic con...minus the Nikes, might just buy a cheap pair of black and white shoes and fake it. Anyways thanks for all the helpful advice from everyone, Kyle is one of my top 5 favourite characters and the first cosplay I ever wanted to do since I was 11.

I know that the new Kyle Reese was terrible, but Jai wore an accurate costume to what Michael wore in 1984. Maybe they custom made the shirt, and the pants were off the rack. I think the pants were off the rack. Maybe some brand of running pants. Anyone able to help out?

I know that the new Kyle Reese was terrible, but Jai wore an accurate costume to what Michael wore in 1984. Maybe they custom made the shirt, and the pants were off the rack. I think the pants were off the rack. Maybe some brand of running pants. Anyone able to help out?

Even tho i DETEST TG and Jai C was so bad, i had to see it to see how they did the 1984 scenes. but i think they did an awful job of matching his out fit, no effort was put into it all, given how simple it would be for a major studio with unlimited finances to achieve at least a 95% match but they failed miserably. His t shirt is a simple gray and white striped t shirt with a collar, not even a close match for Reeses from the original and the pants are totally different from Michael Biehns filthy paint stained open hem rugby pants.

sorry rant over : D

back to the topic in hand. The pants he wears i believe are like jeans / joggers. All the rage at the moment very similar to the photo below.

image1xxl.jpg

iqijmcilom4pwewmkwep.jpg

I actually own a pair but when i wear them it makes me think of kyle reese from Terminator genisys : (.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
Even tho i DETEST TG and Jai C was so bad, i had to see it to see how they did the 1984 scenes. but i think they did an awful job of matching his out fit, no effort was put into it all, given how simple it would be for a major studio with unlimited finances to achieve at least a 95% match but they failed miserably. His t shirt is a simple gray and white striped t shirt with a collar, not even a close match for Reeses from the original and the pants are totally different from Michael Biehns filthy paint stained open hem rugby pants.

sorry rant over : D

back to the topic in hand. The pants he wears i believe are like jeans / joggers. All the rage at the moment very similar to the photo below.

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/4/1/2/7/3927214/grey/image1xxl.jpg

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/iqijmcilom4pwewmkwep.jpg

I actually own a pair but when i wear them it makes me think of kyle reese from Terminator genisys : (.

Hope that helps a bit.

You saved me dude. Yea, Jai was terrible and I wished they got Anton to play Reese in this film. The pants look like a lighter grey than the one in the picture. But nevertheless, perfect for a quick pick-up. All the costume designers did was get Nike to remake the Vandals

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back