The style thread

Yes, I think that 2001 is a very good movie also: regular jackets but without visible buttons (real easy to pull as a costume designer).
You're right on that one: Sci-Fi is always going for the Nehru jackets or similar design with a "Col Officier" (French for Officer's Collar").
I was just reviewing these terms and found the banded ties that I referred to as being very 80s. It looks like this banded officer's collar often comes with a built in banded tie with front catch adornment. And, I see that having the collar be an additional color or even contain several cascading layers of bands is common military style? Maybe these all denote rank? Like stripes and braids do? It answers some build questions for cosplaying Star Wars rank and file.

I was just reviewing these terms and found the banded ties that I referred to as being very 80s. It looks like this banded officer's collar often comes with a built in banded tie with front catch adornment. And, I see that having the collar be an additional color or even contain several cascading layers of bands is common military style? Maybe these all denote rank? Like stripes and braids do? It answers some build questions for cosplaying Star Wars rank and file.
Yes, and a lot of people have a tendency to forget that officers were the upper class (Nobles, Barons, Earls, etc) Their uniforms were custom made (at the early beginnings of Army/Navy) and some of the decorations/designs were not following a strict protocol. That's why some of the "Street Designs" bled into those Army collars...and then, century later, bled back into street fashion;) Circle completed!

Yes, and a lot of people have a tendency to forget that officers were the upper class (Nobles, Barons, Earls, etc) Their uniforms were custom made (at the early beginnings of Army/Navy) and some of the decorations/designs were not following a strict protocol. That's why some of the "Street Designs" bled into those Army collars...and then, century later, bled back into street fashion;) Circle completed!
To this day, officers, at least in the US military, are expected to buy their own uniforms while the enlisted are issued their initial set of uniforms and then provided with a clothing allowance to buy more as needed.

This reminds me of a book series that I once read in which a young man from a wealthy family is drafted into the Army at the end of WWII. Before long, he was given a commission solely on the basis that he was an outstanding polo player and his commanding General wanted him on his polo team but the French wouldn't play with a lowly enlisted soldier, hence the commission. At any rate, the young officer needed uniforms so he goes to Brookes Brothers and has them custom make a set of uniforms for him. Something that irks some of his fellow officers because they feel that he's trying to show off by having not just custom fitted uniforms, but uniforms made from scratch to his measurements.

To this day, officers, at least in the US military, are expected to buy their own uniforms while the enlisted are issued their initial set of uniforms and then provided with a clothing allowance to buy more as needed.
Other ranks pay for their further uniform issue in the US? Does that include replacing uniform that is damaged etc?
This reminds me of a book series that I once read in which a young man from a wealthy family is drafted into the Army at the end of WWII. Before long, he was given a commission solely on the basis that he was an outstanding polo player and his commanding General wanted him on his polo team but the French wouldn't play with a lowly enlisted soldier, hence the commission. At any rate, the young officer needed uniforms so he goes to Brookes Brothers and has them custom make a set of uniforms for him. Something that irks some of his fellow officers because they feel that he's trying to show off by having not just custom fitted uniforms, but uniforms made from scratch to his measurements.
Sounds similar to certain aspects of the Sharpe book/tv series

Other ranks pay for their further uniform issue in the US? Does that include replacing uniform that is damaged etc?
I believe so, but I'm not positive, I was a Reservist so anything new that I needed would be issued to me. But for active duty, enlisted people got a clothing allowance that was supposed to go towards paying for new uniforms. Based on what I've read online, it might be enough to replace the occasional worn out uniform, but when the service decides to come out with a brand new uniform design, the uniform allowance is often not enough to cover the cost of buying all of the required numbers of new uniforms

Sounds similar to certain aspects of the Sharpe book/tv series

As far as the Sharpe books go, I wouldn't know since I've never read them. The series I was referencing was written by W.E.B Griffin, I think it's called Brotherhood of Arms. It follows the lives and careers of 3 main characters starting around the closing days of WWII and goes through Greece, the Korean War, & Vietnam. The character that I mentioned previously, named Lowell actually turns out to be a competent officer despite the unorthodox method of obtaining his commission. He's one of those characters where his fellow officers either love him or hate him, not very much in between. He's also my favorite character in the series and I always felt that Cary Elwes would have been a good casting choice for the character had they made a movie or TV series based on it 20 -30 years ago.

I believe so, but I'm not positive, I was a Reservist so anything new that I needed would be issued to me. But for active duty, enlisted people got a clothing allowance that was supposed to go towards paying for new uniforms. Based on what I've read online, it might be enough to replace the occasional worn out uniform, but when the service decides to come out with a brand new uniform design, the uniform allowance is often not enough to cover the cost of buying all of the required numbers of new uniforms
Very interesting, as we don’t really have that here. Officers do have certain allowances for things like mess dress etc, but all basic issued uniform can be swapped for free when needed.
As far as the Sharpe books go, I wouldn't know since I've never read them. The series I was referencing was written by W.E.B Griffin, I think it's called Brotherhood of Arms. It follows the lives and careers of 3 main characters starting around the closing days of WWII and goes through Greece, the Korean War, & Vietnam. The character that I mentioned previously, named Lowell actually turns out to be a competent officer despite the unorthodox method of obtaining his commission. He's one of those characters where his fellow officers either love him or hate him, not very much in between. He's also my favorite character in the series and I always felt that Cary Elwes would have been a good casting choice for the character had they made a movie or TV series based on it 20 -30 years ago.
Never heard of that series myself, I will take a look at it. It does sound very much like Sharpe as he gets commissioned from the ranks (didn’t buy one as was standard back then) in the 19th Century, is looked down upon by other officers but respected by his men and others like the Duke of Wellington.

I think you may enjoy the Sharpe books.

Wilhuff_Tarkin_003.jpg

Is this just a well hidden zipper or is it a different locking system. Possibly the back?

I see the seam on the right shoulder looks detached. Possibly that is the flap lapel?

Last edited:
Very interesting, as we don’t really have that here. Officers do have certain allowances for things like mess dress etc, but all basic issued uniform can be swapped for free when needed.

That's pretty interesting, I wonder when that changed because, from what I understand, prior to the 20th century, maybe even up to a certain point during the 20th, officers were expected to purchase everything (including weapons) on their own. But I'll admit, that I never heard or read anything about whether or not they were given an allowance for that.

Never heard of that series myself, I will take a look at it. It does sound very much like Sharpe as he gets commissioned from the ranks (didn’t buy one as was standard back then) in the 19th Century, is looked down upon by other officers but respected by his men and others like the Duke of Wellington.

I think you may enjoy the Sharpe books.

I got the name of the book series wrong, it's Brotherhood of War, not Arms. I do agree that it sounds kind of like Sharpe, except that Lowell didn't exactly work his way up the ranks, he received his commission when he was just a Private because his commanding General wanted him on his polo team. This is why Lowell is looked down upon by many of his brother officers, it's because his promotion was unwarranted.

Anyhow, I will definitely have to try to remember to check out the Sharpe series. I do have a certain fondness for the Napoleonic period and the series, both novel and TV series, have been something that I've been meaning to check out for a long while now.

How square are we talking?

If something like this, yes...

View attachment 1665602

This would work too...

View attachment 1665604

If something like this, no...

View attachment 1665603
Definitely more like the top pair but maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch more but certainly not as wide as the last. I also don't like shoes with a center straight line. Not sure why but I don't. So the last pair loses twice. The second pair I couldn't wear, wouldn't fit my toes but they are very nice shoes.

Definitely more like the top pair but maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch more but certainly not as wide as the last. I also don't like shoes with a center straight line. Not sure why but I don't. So the last pair loses twice. The second pair I couldn't wear, wouldn't fit my toes but they are very nice shoes.
Yeah I think a 1/4 to 1/2 would look just fine. As long as the edges are rounded nicely and not angled, it should work. I'm not sure if that second pair I posted counts since it is a round toe but the stitching gives it a square toe look so I included it. Yeah, I don't like a center line either. Or those very pointy toed crocodile dress shoes some guys like to sport around in.

That's pretty interesting, I wonder when that changed because, from what I understand, prior to the 20th century, maybe even up to a certain point during the 20th, officers were expected to purchase everything (including weapons) on their own. But I'll admit, that I never heard or read anything about whether or not they were given an allowance for that.
I suspect the greatest changes began to take form during WWI, then slowly continued to this point. Many officers still buy their own sword like SNCO’s and Warrant Officers buy their own pace sticks

I can wear very pointy shoes/cowboy boots so, the middle pair is my fav. First and second pairs are to be worn with a complete suit. I don't like the opening of 2 buttons for your shirt; 1 button should be open only if you go without the tie. The third pair is very '60s in design.

Yeah I think a 1/4 to 1/2 would look just fine. As long as the edges are rounded nicely and not angled, it should work. I'm not sure if that second pair I posted counts since it is a round toe but the stitching gives it a square toe look so I included it. Yeah, I don't like a center line either. Or those very pointy toed crocodile dress shoes some guys like to sport around in.
Pointy shoes should be worn with larger pant leg (width). It minimize the "I can kill insects in a room corner" type of look:p

On the subject of shoes, I don't know if this is something that's considered a commonly suggested style thing, but in the Marine Corps, we're taught to tuck the laces in both our shoes and boots, into the shoe or boot. This is something that I still do to this day when wearing any footwear besides sneakers/tennis shoes since I feel that it creates a cleaner, neater look.

On the subject of shoes, I don't know if this is something that's considered a commonly suggested style thing, but in the Marine Corps, we're taught to tuck the laces in both our shoes and boots, into the shoe or boot. This is something that I still do to this day when wearing any footwear besides sneakers/tennis shoes since I feel that it creates a cleaner, neater look.
I always do too. On that note, I straight bar lace all of my dress shoes and criss cross most of my other shoes/boots.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back