(The Shredder: Complete) Money can not buy you the honor you have earned today.

PartyPyrate

Current Status Photo:
View attachment DSC_0014.JPGView attachment DSC_0075.JPG 19391_10203572696228172_3974352725360169021_n.jpg1525300_860491003183_6996303629111256338_n.jpg
Best Villain STL Wizard World ComicCon 2015

Greetings All.
If you recognize that quote then you know what I am building in this thread. I am working on a 1990 Shredder outfit.
I am building the helmet based on BlackKaos's Helmet file. And right now it is raining and I am driving myself mad from wanting to epoxy and fiberglass....
I do have black coated aluminum screening for screen doors that I will be using as the screening for the mask.
Perhaps I should also note the horn is not yet connected to the helmet. I am waiting until after bondo.
1412733389560[1].jpgIMG_20141007_200524_999[1].jpgIMG_20141007_193838_676[1].jpg

And I am working on my pattern for the clothing. I will most likely use this gem of fabric I found.
IMG_20140817_111012_951[1].jpg
I have a pair of jaki tabi boots coming in soon also since in the movie on the rooftop battle you can clearly see that he wears that style.

I will update this periodically as I make progress and I will be open to criticism.

Last edited:
Re: Money can not buy you the honor you have earned today.

The 2014 Shedder was really over-designed-bay-transformers stuff! But yours is looking better already, PartyPyrate! :lol

Looking good! I've learned this is not as easy as I thought it would be. I'm almost done with mine.

Thanks all. I am hoping to have it all done by St. Louis Wizard Con next year. I have resined the helmet and I should be able to do some fiberglass today. I plan on making the armor pieces out of leather and wood. Any suggestions on other methods for the armor pieces?

My armor is cardboard with rope added for detail. Then covered in resin and plaster. The spikes are balsa wood carved and covered in the same way. I coat the back with rubber flex spray.

uploadfromtaptalk1413145361342.jpg
Well I got the mask fiberglassed. After getting that done I am wondering if I should have done the outside instead...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Before I get to fiberglassing the rest. I am thinking about flattening out the roping ridge on the helmet by gluing over some flat pieces on the inside and cutting the roping ridge of after I resin the new strip. I am thinking about this because there are two ridges and I would rather they both look like roping as opposed to one looking like roping and the other look like a rectangular ridge. I wish I thought about this before I resined the helmet.

Well here is a "fun" update. I have finished fiberglassing the helmet. Huzzah. But the horn to the helmet I screwed up when I tried to fiberglass it. Got a new print of the pep sitting in front of me to be cut out and assembled. The helmet is curing and both the helmet and mask will need the fiberglass edges trimmed before I bondo. I am starting to consider making a mold of the pieces once I am done, just in case something happens to the helmet.

I did end up cutting the ridge off successfully so now I don't have that bothering me any more.

Well I am ready to resin and fiberglass the horn again. Funny how easy and fast that horn was the second time. If you notice it is now white cardstock as opposed to the mint green stuff I had lying around when I started this.
IMG_20141019_095813_939[1].jpg

And here are some pictures of cutting off the ridge and the helmet that is now fiberglassed. I still have to grind the ridge flat before I bondo the helmet, but I think the ridge removal went well.
IMG_20141015_190852_004[1].jpg
IMG_20141019_095831_966[1].jpg
Well off to resin for the horn.

Definately cape potential! It seems like the fabric from the movie was much lighter though, so will this fabric float like the original?

Weekend update:

I have finished fiberglass application. Tomorrow I will be grinding strays and applying a last layer of resin. Next weekend starts the long work. Bondo. It kinda sucks only being able to work on the helmet during weekends. The upside is I am starting to lay out patterns for the armor and the clothing. I may have the cape material by the end of next week also. Still waiting on my Jika Tabis to show up. Mail from japan is always slow.

Two things came in the mail today!
First off... the long awaited Jika Tabi:
IMG_20141029_184847_535[1].jpg
IMG_20141029_184856_819[1].jpg
I opted for the Black Sole variety... it took a while to find but I am glad.

Then I forgot to say I sourced a different fabric for the cape....
BEHOLD!
IMG_20141029_191040_521[1].jpg
IMG_20141029_190832_780[1].jpg
I am so glad I found this one. It more closely resembles the gritty look of the first movie and not the (in my opinion) almost comical look of the cape in the second movie.

IMG_20141101_144244_563[1].jpgIMG_20141101_144255_796[1].jpg
First layer almost done. I have to wait for the horn to be mostly dry then i can do its underside. I will also be doing the edging of the helmet at that time also. I think next weekend will be mostly sanding. Perhaps a second coat if I can squeeze the time.

I used up the last of my bondo yesterday. I will still need to buy a can on next payday. I will be sanding this weekend. I have also been looking into the weave on the helmet. This is one of the few times I get to be proud of the knowledge that I gain from being a re-enactor. I think I figured out the hitching pattern on the helmet. So when I get to applying the texture I think I will get cording and be applying the hitching pattern.

IMG_20141108_095109_016[1].jpg
Also I decided to cut out the vents in the mask today. I really need it to be pay day. There is so much bondo work left.

Last edited:

Weekend update...
SNOW DAY!
Today has been nothing but snow so I banged out the armor shape patterns. Finally got them to fit right. I wont have totally screen accurate shin guards. I just realized that Shredder has a metal lip at the base right above the foot. But really I will fix that if I have time before the STL ComicCon.
IMG_20141116_154444_784[1].jpg

But before the snow I did add a layer and sanded. I have just some edging to do on the horn and a few divit fills on the helmet and then I will be on to spot putty and making hitching weave for the helmet.
IMG_20141116_155255_918[1].jpg

So the weekend report:

IMG_20141128_093434_577[1].jpg
I started by using some spot putty on the helmet and mask and sanded it down.

IMG_20141128_175259_726[1].jpg
I then started drawing lines on the helmet. The only ones visible in this picture are the horizontal cording placement. I also penciled in placement of the fender hitching web that I will be weaving for he helmet.

IMG_20141128_204538_656[1].jpg
Also I decided to size the claws on the armor. The shoulder claws will be trim to fit as they are all different cuts in the movie shot reference pic I have.

IMG_20141129_184912_103[1].jpg
Finally I was able to get all the edging on the horn finished and with that bondo work is finished. I still have some sanding on the openings in the mask but all seems to moving smoothly.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back