The RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Re: *** the RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest ***

I also like the idea of a judges pick sort of thing. That gives everyone a chance to win something and not just a "who has the most friends" win. I btw am not entered in this contest in any way, and did vote for someone based on their costume.

I think that might be something we could try. :)

Definitely gives balance to the contest for those afraid of a popularity contest.

I love the level idea someone posted. Another Idea to build on to that. Is giving 1st and 2nd place to voters (because I understand how important It is to bring in people) But maybe a "Judges Pick" instead of a 3rd place. Have judges pick the last one basted on the build. Creativity, work, time put into it. I am really really impressed with Monster Inc. He even got the eye's to blink. I just think some snaps need to be given to the Creative Side of some of these AMAZING costumes people build on here.... Thoughts?

PS I would want to be one of those judges, HARD PICK but you could come up with some sort of rating system. Creativity 10 points, Physical Presentation (Neatness) - 10, Unique Costume Idea- 10 points. Add them up who gets the highest amount wins type of thing lol

Thank you, it was a lot of fun making them :)

I like this idea as well. I see the logic in using the contests to draw in new members, but I'm one of the minority who would prefer if it was judged by current members (to avoid the "popularity contest" idea). Maybe give a single point from those who join up just to vote and extra points for votes from existing members.

Just adding my voice to a judges choice method too :) I don't enter popularity contests because they are not my thing at all (rely on beging for votes and I am not photogenic and rarely get my costumes snapped anyway!
But I judge and wrangle my fair share of contests/events with great success (if you make them believe they have the talent they will prove it to themselves). So would be happy to be part of any team work behind that.
Grunt work and making judging calls.

Also, just a shout out to the work involved in making the voting run and be fair. I dont envy the next few hours of tallying and making sure all votes were right :)

I don't cosplay and only do costumes for myself on/for Halloween, so I'm not real familiar with all the great costumers on this site. I only recognize Eveningarwen from this year as having had an entry in last year's contest--last year we didn't have the member's user name to go along with the entry. So, without me having to do hours of research, I'd be curious to know how many of this year's 2012 female entrants were in last year's 2011 contest. If you'd be so kind as to post here if you're a repeat entrant, even from 2010..........
.....just curious......

Shylaah

Yes, Judges Pick is more true to the traditional meaning of "Honorable Mention" than is 3rd place.

~ BC

The tough part with any contest is that people usually pick what they like (or who) as much as what they think is actually the best construction. But what is 'the best' varies too.

So, if it went to judges, people still would claim favoritism - unless there was a clear list of criteria.

For instance, take a point system where several judges give 1 in 10 or an N/A on such criteria as:

'Authentic Materials' - made out of what the movie version was.
'Accurate' - looks like the costume in color, shape and texture.
'Creative/Original Costume' - unique character or costume, unusual take on it etc.
'Creative/Original Materials' - unique method, found objects etc.
'Scratch Build' - how much was made by hand vs. bought

So, someone whose costume is really authentic, but a kit they put together would still stand a chance over someone who scratch built it but isn't as accurate... and vice versa - and not because a judge prefers accuracy to authenticity or authenticity to accuracy.

Another example is that those who make a less known character would stand a chance against everyone's favorite super hero of the day... you get the idea.

Add up the points and find out who scores the most in each category... You could give honorable mentions or prizes to those top in each category but whoever gets the most points overall gets the grand prize.

It would also give people something to shoot for when coming up with their next costume.

I guess I just think there are so many ways of making costumes and reasons why we do it that highlighting the VALUE of each skill sets in the various methods might actually do more for the creativity of the community, rather than discourage people who can not meet ALL the criteria but might be really good at one or two of them.

Like I said before the contest I knew there would be problems and popularity contests, fake votes etc. Anyone can create fake accounts and change IP addresses and tell 100 people to vote. I never would as I don't have that kind of time, and prefer to be honest and do not need the money that bad. But the voting feature is useless and corrupt. Last year they said they would learn from it but did not learn anything or do anything different this year. So next year I probably won't even waste my time again entering.

Last edited:

lol .... i typed something out .... but since i was laying on my back with my laptop in an awkward position i dropped my lap top on my face and everything was deleted .... so i will share that with you instead ... on a side note good luck everyone lol

Also most of the fake accounts who joined last year have not even posted since. Is that what the RPF is hoping to "attrract"? The contest should be limited to longer term members with so many legitimate posts and build threads etc, not someone just swooping in for the cash and never coming back to contribute anything, as well as their fake accounts and fake friends who also never will be seen again until next contest perhaps.

Like I said before the contest I knew there would be problems and popularity contests, fake votes etc. Anyone can create fake accounts and change IP addresses and tell 100 people to vote. I never would as I don't have that kind of time, and prefer to be honest and do not need the money that bad. But the voting feature is useless and corrupt. Last year they said they would learn from it but did not learn anything or do anything different this year. So next year I probably won't even waste my time again entering.

Also most of the fake accounts who joined last year have not even posted since. Is that what the RPF is hoping to "attrract"? The contest should be limited to longer term members with so many legitimate posts and build threads etc, not someone just swooping in for the cash and never coming back to contribute anything, as well as their fake accounts and fake friends who also never will be seen again until next contest perhaps.

The only thing I can say to that is that last year I wasn't involved. I think next year you'll find that we do take many of these points to heart.

I entered my children and I used my facebook and twitter to ask for votes, and my friend that runs the Save our Seeker campaign used her twitter to tweet about it and she has thousands of followers. So in my case I shamelessly begged for votes. But on the other hand most of those people in the groups on facebook that I frequent and with the SOS people do cosplays and go to different cons as Seeker characters so I do hope that they get actively involved in the forums as well. I had several people say that they did not know about the forum and would be posting their various costumes soon:) I don't think the voting thing is unfair as far as being able to cheat though, my husband made an account for himself because he is going to finally be getting in on the cosplay action with me next year :thumbsup and that way he could eventually post the cool things I make him and he could vote and we had a problem making his account because I had used his computer to log in with mine. He had to send an email to the mods and let them know that I had an account as well before they would activate his.

Ladies and Gentlemen we have our winners:

MEN:

1st - biopredator - 127 votes*
1st - Petr0956 - 127 votes*
3rd - unforsaken - 117 votes

WOMEN:

1st - Val - 112 votes
2nd - Ember - 90 votes
3rd - fevereon - 82 votes

GROUP:

1st - mordsithmichell - 69 votes
2nd - D00R - 67 votes
3rd - TJack - 62 votes

KIDS:

1st - edvc520 - 84 votes
2nd - Rednismo - 66 votes
3rd - JUDGE_HELLFAST - 61 votes

* - It has been decide that because no tie breaking criteria was set forth in the rules that the first and second prizes will be split evenly between these two members.

Congratulations to our winners! You will be contacted about your prizes soon.

Congrats to the winners - the entire contest was a great showcase of talent and so much fun to see everyone's work.:thumbsup

Ladies and Gentlemen we have our winners:

MEN:

1st - biopredator - 127 votes*
1st - Petr0956 - 127 votes*
3rd - unforsaken - 117 votes

WOMEN:

1st - Val - 112 votes
2nd - Ember - 90 votes
3rd - fevereon - 82 votes

GROUP:

1st - mordsithmichell - 69 votes
2nd - D00R - 67 votes
3rd - TJack - 62 votes

KIDS:

1st - edvc520 - 84 votes
2nd - Rednismo - 66 votes
3rd - JUDGE_HELLFAST - 61 votes

* - It has been decide that because no tie breaking criteria was set forth in the rules that the first and second prizes will be split evenly between these two members.

Congratulations to our winners! You will be contacted about your prizes soon.

First of all i would like to congrats to the winners and everyone who took part of this, it was a very good competition and something to look forward.
My only thing is that i think in the men section it didn't go the way i thought (the hardest to do and best technique to do) but the most popular, but this is just what i think. :behave

I was simply AMAZED at all the talent and fantastic entries this year! Congrats to everyone - I can't wait to see what you all build next! :love:thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back