the RPF 2011 Halloween Costume Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I so enjoy this forum and this contest. I admire all that strive to do this and respect those with the guts to cosplay. It is not easy especially for those that are shy or not as confident as myself.

As such I would hope a thread/contest of this nature would be more respectful of peoples efforts and feelings as it is not easy to do any of this.

Those of you that do, have my utmost respect and admiration.

I just want to give a shout out for Batgirl. Awesome presentation! I am so jealous!! The beautiful Quorra. Holy Mackeral she is phabulous!!!! Zombie catwoman was extremely awesome. How the freak did you do that Autobot Jazz!!! That is such a cool get up!!!! AND Dag Nabbit, Mystique was flawless and amazingly phabulous!!!! I wish I could do what you do Mystique!!! My very personal favorite was the kids side!!! R2-d2, and the Starwars crew, and esp. Captain Hook!!!! SO CUTE!!!!! I can't get over how cute they are!!! There were so many on the men's side I can't remember what I liked. I think I really LIKED that one transformer that was so huge and started with an S. and the Alien monster thing. That looked hard and the Ironman. I have a crush on Ironman. I can't wait to put mine in for next year, but it won't be as phabulous. It is the effort and thought that counts. Right?

However, The girls contest was very interesting to watch. I watched it from the just about the beginning to the end. I hate to mention this, but I just can not hold back. There is one contestant that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I love how this one contestant keeps saying over and over and over again, "I worked so hard" like she was more deserving then the other phabulous contestants who worked hard also. I would like to say it really smells when at the very last minute this one particular contestant got a lot of votes. Just enough to get ahead of others. She may be innocent, but as far as I am concerned. . . It really smells. Sorry I had to mention it, but from here, it is just a little stanky.

Come out and say it, folks. Be bold. You're saying Aelynn somehow cheated, that the staff are inept for allowing this to happen, and that everyone who voted for her are somehow part of a plot. Don't be bashful, and don't let things like a lack of substantial proof stop you. Don't let all those reminders from staff telling us that voting is ending soon (encouraging a flurry of last minute voting) stop you from jumping to conclusions, either.

Stand behind your words.

The only thing questionable she (Aelynn) did was make one (ONE) disparaging remark. And you know what? She might even have been right. I did go back and look at all the posts of the runner up (Pokeman) dating back to their signup date one month before the contest. It was easy, since every post of theirs has been about what the boyfriend did to build the costume. And nowhere did I see any evidence of HER actually logging in and participating in the RPF. Basically we have.. I don't know, substantial suggestion of rule breaking on their part? As I thought it was understood that spouses (and significant others) need to have their own accounts.. HOWEVER I could be wrong, and I trust the staff have taken all this into consideration for next year so I am not concerned and don't really want to belabor the issue.

Let's at least be consistent and slam both of them, if we're all going to keep frothing at the mouth about this. We need to also realize that every word said on the matter (yes, including mine) is hurtful. It hurts the contestants, it hurts the staff, it hurts the perception of the RPF with the general public, and it divides us as members.

Shall we continue slinging mud, or go back to appreciating the efforts that everyone has put in? My vote is for more appreciation.

Last edited:
Man, people can ruin anything.

First, to the admins. Thank you for all that you do from keeping this most excellent place moving along very smoothly to trying to do fun things for us members like these contests. I used to moderate a board for a website my wife dreamed up. It was a hard, thankless job. In all sincerity, you are appreciated by this member. keep up the good work.

Second, to the contestants. I voted for the Tangled costume. I'm not afraid to admit. I think it was incredibly well done. I am very impressed with the notion of bringing an animated character to life. That was part of the challenge in my mind. I didn't hurt that Tangled is my daughter's favorite movie and I've logged some serious time with this character. Mystique was a close second for me. It too is dead on, and extremely well done. And let's be honest, it's sexy as h3ll. If I would have had two votes, it would have gotten it.

Thirdly, all that entered are winners. You had the drive to finish a project. I lack this. You had the confidence to post it. I might have this. Won't know for sure until I finish a project. And you all did very well. You should be proud of your efforts.

Fourthly, if you have an issue with another member, or think there is wrong doing a foot, please take it up privately with the mods or the parties involved. just bad form to air it in public.

Can we all please go back to getting along and doing what we do best? You guys make awesome stuff, and I'll look at it all starry eyed and be impressed at your skills. make no mistake, there is an absolute ton of talent here, and and endless amount of cool creations. Enjoy the RPF for what it is!

Come out and say it, folks. Be bold. You're saying Aelynn somehow cheated, that the staff are inept for allowing this to happen, and that everyone who voted for her are somehow part of a plot. Don't be bashful, and don't let things like a lack of substantial proof stop you. Don't let all those reminders from staff telling us that voting is ending soon (encouraging a flurry of last minute voting) stop you from jumping to conclusions, either.

Stand behind your words.

The only thing questionable she (Aelynn) did was make one (ONE) disparaging remark. And you know what? She might even have been right. I did go back and look at all the posts of the runner up (Pokeman) dating back to their signup date one month before the contest. It was easy, since every post of theirs has been about what the boyfriend did to build the costume. And nowhere did I see any evidence of HER actually logging in and participating in the RPF. Basically we have.. I don't know, substantial suggestion of rule breaking on their part? As I thought it was understood that spouses (and significant others) need to have their own accounts.. HOWEVER I could be wrong, and I trust the staff have taken all this into consideration for next year so I am not concerned and don't really want to belabor the issue.

Let's at least be consistent and slam both of them, if we're all going to keep frothing at the mouth about this. We need to also realize that every word said on the matter (yes, including mine) is hurtful. It hurts the contestants, it hurts the staff, it hurts the perception of the RPF with the general public, and it divides us as members.

Shall we continue slinging mud, or go back to appreciating the efforts that everyone has put in? My vote is for more appreciation.

:thumbsup Couldn't agree more!!! Well said and you've got my "snaps" and my "cuttos" :)

I was #52 - Luke on the Taun Taun.

My build is here http://www.therpf.com/f24/taun-taun-build-126504/

I'd like to give kudos to all the contestants. I know it's been said over and over, but the skill level here is absolutely amazing and I felt honoured to have received even one vote.

Can't wait to get started on my next project.

Well, this is great. As far as I figured I thought these contests were to promote pride, dignity and the spirit of 'fair' competition amongst us as professionals, at the same time promote new members into what was a wonderful community. But thanks to loopholes and overzealous competition we take our frustrations not only at each other but at the innocent new members as well, that's where I draw the line.

RPF mods better start taking control of this matter ASAP because it was their approach of this contest that brought us all into this issue in the first place. And if disciplining members is the way then they can start off with me if that's what it takes.

Phabulous, as a fairly new member myself and on behalf of us here who welcome new blood, I want to apologize what was said and hope this does not discourage you in anyway.

Alright Happier notes, Next years contest... I need Ideas and want to hear your own. I'm a single mother and we always all dress up. This year My son was captain hook, I was peter pan, and my daughter was tink. He's a very small 6 and my daughter is the same size almost 5. What are some ideas for the 3 of us NEXT year?

My son has mentioned Batman... Come on people Give me some Awesome Ideas!!!

What about something like Princess Peach and little mario and luigi or little one up mushroom and the red mushroom that makes you larger. Or what about all the bad guys from Mario? Wasn't there a few kids of the main bad guy...ugh I can't remember his name right now....but all the spikey turtle dudes lol....I'm pretty sure there was a girl one too.

Ermmm.....What about Jack, Sally and Zero from Nightmare?

Or Elves from Elf?

I was Captain Haddock in the male contest, I got 2 votes...one from Myself :p and one from a nice person (thank you).
Before the cheating and restart started I had about 10 votes, thanks to my family and friends on facebook...i did try to get people on the weta fb page to vote for me but i don't think anyone did.

I don't think my fiance voted lol (even though he was in the contest) but he really liked your costume because he is a HUGE fan of TinTin. I think he would have had a hard time between voting for himself or yours lol!

I was #52 - Luke on the Taun Taun.

My build is here http://www.therpf.com/f24/taun-taun-build-126504/

I'd like to give kudos to all the contestants. I know it's been said over and over, but the skill level here is absolutely amazing and I felt honoured to have received even one vote.

Can't wait to get started on my next project.

Pictures I'm sure do not do your costume justice. Especially only getting one moderately sized picture. Your build is awesome and I bet to see it in person is just amazing and so much fun. I was super shocked that you didn't have loads more votes then you did. I hope your next project is going to be another awesome "animal" build! Maybe a bantha and you could be the Tuskan Raider on top lol! That would be intense.

From the confirmation email,

" We will be posting your costume up on the site along with all the other contestants on Monday, Nov 7 and this is where the 2nd part of your task comes in to play. Anyone, member or non-member can vote in this contest. We encourage you to post the contest on Facebook and on other websites you visit and encourage your friends and family to vote for you! Your hard work on your costume as well as your tenacity in getting your friends to vote for you can make a significant difference in the results of the contest! "

Anyone who still feels I was wrong to rally up votes, send it to my inbox and keep the boards clean. I was excited and glad to promote the contest and website everywhere I did and now I feel terrible for the amazing costumers I recruited to join the community which are now undoubtedly seeing this crap all over the place in their first few visits.

mud-fight.jpg

Yes I agree, I want there to be more contest in the future. Thanks for every one giving me ideas. Keep coming if thoughts strike you :) Lets keep the good thoughts going. I am so impressed with everyone's talents and creativity. Its nice to have a place to come and collaborate. I have NO friends with any creativity. They call and come to me when they need anything with imagination.

Hey Everyone, the contest is over, Lets move on.
I need to apologize for my public remarks, although I still hold the same opinion, I should not have expressed it publicly the way I did.
We got 152 votes, out of those votes 20 of them came from inside sources, that mean 132 people that we don't know voted for us. We wanna thank everyone that voted for us.
But seriously, we're moving on, and this drama affected us more than anyone, lets just let it die.

my only request and suggestion for next years contest is that the results should be hidden until the end, that way its not like an ebay auction.

Hidden results is a very good idea-- the last few minutes was like an ebay bid, lol
It's a shame there's only one contest per year! I have something else I wanna submit already! :D

Yes I agree, I want there to be more contest in the future. Thanks for every one giving me ideas. Keep coming if thoughts strike you Lets keep the good thoughts going. >>>clip<<<
EDIT: added quote as a couple posts got made before I could hit send.....:)

Ha!! I was moving some Christmas things around in the storage closet and saw my old Teddy Ruxpin!!!

Does anyone remember him, and Grubby!? I wonder if anyone ever did them as costumes?? Who was that doctor/mad scientist guy who built the airship.....

That might be an 'interesting' trio to do?!? But I don't know if anyone would know/remember who they are........?

Shylaah

Last edited:
I had a Teddy Ruxpin...I played him so much as a kid that he started to talk (the tape) backwards lol. I think we still have him somewhere at my Mom's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back