the RPF 2011 Halloween Costume Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was pretty blown away, but we were a bit more prepared this year than last year. The contest was a last minute decision last year and the time we allowed was relatively short. This was MUCH more successful in terms of time. Now, for next year, I just want to find an automated way of having you guys add your entries via a form instead of via email.

You should definitely talk to Craig about something like that, he was working on a website that dealt with online forms and submissions etc. I think anyways, I could be TOTALLY wrong lol.

Pft...mine stands NO chance against the rest of the ladies, trust me! XD I don't do the typical 'female costume' stuff. I'm not girly at all. I've always been the oddball out on stuff like this, considered 'weird' because I'm a "Geek Lady" and Proud of it. Now I'm part of a cosplayers group that I travel to the cons with that is about half and half, so I don't feel so alone now! Around here though, it's 99% male, and I'm standing most of the time alone in the 1% of ladies who are TRUE geeks. There are some who claim to be that aren't or are in it cause 'boyfriend' or 'honey' is. I'm in it for myself. And I have the only kid in our group too. Matt's been in full cosplay since he was 5, and doesn't have any plans to stop any time soon, and we got our friend's son into it by handing down a costume Matt outgrew so he can be in costume with us now too. He's just two years younger than Matt so it's going to be great having two kiddos with me as my mini-cons!

Pft...mine stands NO chance against the rest of the ladies, trust me! XD I don't do the typical 'female costume' stuff. I'm not girly at all. I've always been the oddball out on stuff like this, considered 'weird' because I'm a "Geek Lady" and Proud of it. Now I'm part of a cosplayers group that I travel to the cons with that is about half and half, so I don't feel so alone now! Around here though, it's 99% male, and I'm standing most of the time alone in the 1% of ladies who are TRUE geeks. There are some who claim to be that aren't or are in it cause 'boyfriend' or 'honey' is. I'm in it for myself. And I have the only kid in our group too. Matt's been in full cosplay since he was 5, and doesn't have any plans to stop any time soon, and we got our friend's son into it by handing down a costume Matt outgrew so he can be in costume with us now too. He's just two years younger than Matt so it's going to be great having two kiddos with me as my mini-cons!

OT, but I think of the ladies on the board here, 99% are also TRUE geeks, so you're in good company.

Don't underestimate geekiness just because it's concealed by a hot costume!

I think, to be dressing up as fictional characters from sci-fi/comics/anime/fantasy etc. we're all pretty much at the limit of how geeky it gets. ;)

From your banner, I'm looking forward to seeing your entry!!

Thanks Aelynn. :)
When I said 'around here' I meant around my town, my area, where I live, not on here. I should have clarified that. Here in my hometown I'm very outnumbered. I have seen a lot of ladies on here, and some incredible costumers, so I know this is good company! I feel way outdone on here too. Mine is just fun stuff I do with my son, nothing so incredible as some of the things I've seen. I don't just do costumes either, I collect the figures, comics, art, toys, and love going to the conventions. I think me and my kiddo are the happiest when we get to Geek out at a Con with our cosplayers group. :)

Oh, the banner! I almost forgot. The first one on the left is me, the ones in the middle are Matt (my son) and the last one on the end on the far right is me again. That's just our Transformers so far. We do a lot more too. I need to do a banner for the other stuff. I posted his Wolverine in the Wolverine thread. He was quite thrilled that 'Sabertooth' said he liked his costume. :lol

I'm anxious to see the contest entries!

LadyMegatron, do you have a gallery or Facebook page with your other costumes? I love your Transformers ones. I attempted a G1 Bumblebee years ago and failed miserably. That was before I found this place:lol I don't even know if I have pictures of it anymore.

LadyMegatron, do you have a gallery or Facebook page with your other costumes?

We should create a Facebook group of geeky cosplay ladies to share our stuff! :lol I was surprised to see such a large percentage of guys here, especially in the costumes department... Sorry for the off-topic, back to Halloween contest.:cool

You should definitely talk to Craig about something like that, he was working on a website that dealt with online forms and submissions etc. I think anyways, I could be TOTALLY wrong lol.

I'm a web based programmer so next year if you want i can definitely make a submission system for you guys and just signup that way..

great stuff ladymegatron.. we should seriously have a fb section so we can add each other i would love to see everyone's profiles on here

yay one more day then facebook blasting for votes begins haha

Wow! These entries are fantastic! RPF, thanks for running this contest. This is my first post here. Finally decided to sign up as a new member today after seeing all the awesome projects people have been creating and sharing here on the rpf for the past month.

Gonna be really hard to vote for my favorites! Good job people!

What a great turnout this year. It was so hard to pick a winner in each category. Not only are there some unique costumes, but the quality of work is through the roof. For the first time, I think the playing field for each category is now on the same level with regards to the caliber of work, and to me, that's a great sign for the RPF.

Lol wow, I was aswell blown away by the number of entries. I'm curious. I know I won't top off some great costume like a transformer, but at least it's fun to enter! :) really, there are indeed some great costumes in there! Awesome. I'm so glad I joined this community lol

Like everyone has said, the quality is amazing and it took me ages to work out who to vote for (ended up choosing the person who best utilised their own natural body shape).

But next year would it be possible to split it into Solid type and Soft type? Eg so that the Iron Man's/ Predators/ Transformers/ Modern Batman's are separate to the Flynn's/ Pirates/ Militia/ Traditional Batman's? Both styles of costume take a lot of skill, effort and time to make but the more solid ones tend to look like they require more everything, making it harder for the soft costumes to compete. It's also the easiest way I can think of to split up the entries seeing as you'll probably have even more people enter next year :) Just a suggestion, I'll get back in my box now

Eh...I don't stand a chance against the soft style personally. I'm a bigger gal, therefore the huge Transformer body that hides mine.

*** NOTE: We have temporarily closed the voting due to some technical issues. Voting will probably reopen sometime tomorrow. As a result of this issue, the voting will be extended, and we will announce a revised closing date.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back