"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Gimpdiggity, May 15, 2017.

1. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Neat.

Axlotl likes this.
  2. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

Loved the fact as the Orville was getting toasted we saw actual damage accumulating. We have had close passes to stars and atmospheric heating in TNG and ST-V before, but most of the time it is just somebody calling out numbers on the bridge. The way the showed it you got an almost visceral feel for what they were going through

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Borjis, Gimpdiggity, AJK001 and 2 others like this.
  3. patrickivan

patrickivan Active Member

It's remarkable how this is the Star Trek I didn't know I needed.

It's humour just pops out at the oddest time, with the strictest of non-response from other characters. There's an incredible and surprising no nonsense real dramatic story telling. Not so much in your face "messages" but more matter of fact things that they seem to make so normal, it makes our real world take on uncomfortable topics seem ridiculous.

Star Trek Discovery, for all it's alleged desire to be Star Trek, can take some cues from The Orville. There is no way in hell you'd see a group of "men" getting ready for an orgy (ugh- :p) on Star Trek. But The Orville makes it seem like the most normal thing in the world somehow. Yes, I would have preferred women, but I'm not their sole audience :lol:

4. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Was watching Red letter Media talking "Discovery", and more or less just crapping all over it...

Loved when Rich Evans now just flat out says "I watch The Orville to get my Star Trek"

And I don't mind the humor at ALL, I laugh/cringed when Mcfarlane "drove by" her place in the shuttle and panic turned the cloaking on... I have a friend who drive by's all her ex's so looking forward to her catching up on that ep.

AJK001 and Riceball like this.
  5. kristen jones

kristen jones Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Orville is indeed our new Star Trek, as far as I'm concerned. And it's free to give us all of the Star Trek notes we've wanted precisely because it isn't technically Star Trek. It isn't using names, places or characters from actual Trek, so they avoid all of the copyright nonsense which is plaguing Discovery (Since ownership of actual Trek is split between CBS and Paramount) and therefore can deliver us a wonderful scratch for that 90's era Trek itch while also doing it's own thing because it's it's own thing.

Lovely show! I hope it Lives Long and Prospers.

Borjis, firesprite, AJK001 and 3 others like this.
  6. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

In a weird way I like it better than prime Trek ST-V & DS-9 - it does not play it safe...

7. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Reminds me of all the Firefly vids I used to watch back in the day.

gedmac66 and Riceball like this.
  8. zapwizard

zapwizard Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Orville is everything I wanted from Star Trek. At first I thought it would be too much of a parody, as much of Seth's work is. However, most of the jokes are done in context of the moment, and work well.

They have also struck a good balance already with stories covering all the major characters, and building an interesting universe. I like that they haven't cheated on the sci-fi also, or when they did, there was valid excuse. Compared that to Star Trek Discovery's literal magical pixie dust excuse for everything new in that show, and you will see what I mean.

It is obvious that Seth McFarlane grew up with Star Trek and understands the moral stories that the show needs, but is adding his own style of comedy, with it toned down just a bit that I can tell my parents to also watch it.

Star Trek Discovery just fell into the trap of copying previous popular shows like Lost, and Game of Thrones, where they just decided to make "Game of Thrones, in space!"

Borjis, robn1 and kristen jones like this.
  9. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

Wow, I really have to disagree with you on The Orville. While I was very disappointed in ST Discovery, I'm even more so in the Orville. The sets and special effects are just wonderful, I have to say; and the storylines are decent, but the writing on that show is so embarassingly awful it makes me cringe. The dialog is like it was written by a high schooler, and the acting is equally flat. I had to stop watching the first season after about half way through, I just couldn't bear it. I gave it another shot recently, after my husband (who's watched all of it) told me Robert Picardo and John Billingsley were going to be in a season 2 episode, so I watched that. They were the only good actors in that episode, and having seen the difference in their performances with all the others in that show really solidified my opinion that its as bland as yesterday's noodle pudding.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Oh good, for a change I'm not the only member here who's dissatisfied with the show. I've only seen the first two episodes of season two and thought the second episode was marginally more entertaining than the first, but if this is the best they can do they should just call it quits now. Good special effects (including the "alien" makeups and costumes) and the performances are as good as they need to be for a show like this, but the scripts are very hit-and-miss and for a show labeled as a "comedy drama" I find it to be rather lacking in humor. I was "on the fence" about this show throughout most of it's first season but ultimately liked more than I disliked about it, so I kept watching. Now I'm back on the fence.

11. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

Loved the 3rd episode and was thrilled to see Robert Picardo and John Billingsley as guest stars. This show is more Star Trek than the official crap they are giving us.

kristen jones, Borjis and robn1 like this.
  12. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I'll agree the acting sucks, but I think that's part of the charm of the show. I would expect more from a serious sci-fi drama like Star Trek, but here it doesn't seem to matter so much. Picardo and Billingsley were great, and it was nice to see Molly Hagan again.

kristen jones and AJK001 like this.
  13. Borjis

Borjis Well-Known Member

anyone notice they are sneaking in slight bits of sound effects from star trek? I believe I heard two different ones.
    very short (less than a second and just the beginning of the sound effect, the rest of it is something else.)

These first 3 episodes of season 2 are doing the "character building" just like TNG. Next week looks like an action thriller. The season 1 ep where they dressed up like those aliens and
    infiltrated their ship was my favorite so far.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    AJK001 likes this.
  14. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone crapping on the first season and acting of Orville...

I recently tried watching TNG from the beginning.

Yeah...

And that show became great!

I would rather watch Orville's "hit and miss" first season than TNG's again. brutal.

15. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I for one thought both the writing and the performances in "Home" were wonderful. I liked the pacing of the show, especially the pensive beach dream scene with Alara reconnecting to home. Halston Sage's performances all through that episode were great. It was a touching farewell for the character and I thought I could see one or two genuine actor-to-actor 'moments' in the farewell scenes as well. Loved it all.

Dan

Riceball, kristen jones and AJK001 like this.
  16. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

I think the acting in ALL Trek shows sucks, even TOS. But I'd rather watch Orville than anything past TOS. Those are all horrible.

17. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

At this point, I don't think it's fair to call "The Orville" a parody. It's more ST than "Star Trek Discovery" is. STD is the parody.

AJK001, Treadwell, Borjis and 4 others like this.
  18. The Mad Professor

I don't think Alara's gone permanently. She left Ed a jar of pickles as a present, which to me signifies that she will be back to open it for him.

Riceball likes this.
  19. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

It seems that Halston Sage was filming a movie while a lot of the production for season 2 was going on. As far as I can tell there has not been an official statement saying she is leaving the show.

Riceball and kristen jones like this.
  20. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

Right. The movie is The Last Summer, coming out... well, this summer, I assume.

21. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

It's more like a tribute with a little humor on the side.

BTW, STD? Knowing our penchant for reducing wordy titles to initials, didn't the producers of Discovery foresee that?

robn1 and AJK001 like this.
  22. The Mad Professor

Like they feel about canon and most of the fandom, the producers don't care.

Riceball, robn1 and AJK001 like this.
  23. zapwizard

zapwizard Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

PotionMistress I do agree the acting in general isn't as dramatic, I take it is more of a sitcom. I don't need it to be a 100% serious replacement for Star Trek. That is like saying you can watch Scrubs and expect it to be the same as any other medical drama.

If you go back and watch early TNG, especially season two, there is some bad acting and bad writing. I will give it a bit of time for everything to mesh. Orville is obviously setup to be a syndicated show with cliffhanger episodes, just like TNG. Syndicated shows often take lots of time to fully flesh out the universe. They have done great with expanding that.

Kerr Avon and Riceball like this.
  24. kristen jones

This.

This.

THIS!

AJK001 likes this.
  25. kristen jones

Definitely more interested to see more of The Orville than catching STD

See what I did there ;)

Axlotl, AJK001, Zombie_61 and 4 others like this.
  26. patrickivan

patrickivan Active Member

It also helps that the characters are likable, and while there is some minor conflict, they actual go about a civilized manner to resolve that. I guess that's boring to some, but if that's not the main story, then it's fine by me.

It just seems that shows like ST Discovery are built around interpersonal conflict on an extreme level. And with there being so few likable characters, it makes it hard to watch something like Discovery.

Even in DS9 (not my favorite Trek) the characters were all mostly likeable, and the conflict between protagonists were minimal. Even Odo's disdain for Quark was tempered with some degree of respect at times. And Quark seemed to have some admiration for Odo.

Discovery is all I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.... Even Stamet's and the Doctor's relationship was strife with conflict. Sheesh. I get that the Lorca was probably responsible for a lot of that, but he also seemed to prop up his crew in a lot of episodes. The main character is so full of self doubt, and has zero personality. The great lovable Tilly is even more pitiful and in no way would be on a starship. Stamets is an *. Or at least he was. The doctor had no real role, so is dead, but will come back due to popular demand(?) despite having no role.... Saru is the only one that seems to have some degree of being interesting, but his character/ actor, lacks any real attraction that makes him possible to be a central long lasting character.

I just don't see all these issues in The Orville. You just have to give to Seth for understanding what Star Trek is about and having the ability to bring that to life.

Obviously I'm painting in broad strokes. People will disagree and prefer ST Discovery over The Orville, but I really think there is no real comparison. Orville wins, hands down.

NeoRutty, Treadwell, robn1 and 2 others like this.
  27. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

A great review of the differences between The Orville and STD. You've put into words what I've thinking since seeing the first season of both shows and I now have no interest at all in seeing season 2 of STD, especially with having to pay for it on All Abscess.

kristen jones likes this.
  28. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

If Discovery was free to watch I would do so but I am not about to buy a subscription for the honor of seeing if I like it or not. It has been the only Trek incarnation I have had zero interest in and I grew up watching the original series during it's initial broadcast.
    It takes a while to get to know a series- typically the first season is horrible as all the characters are trying to establish backstories- something the TOS-Trek never bothered with and seemed to do OK. I was watching 'Encounter at Farpoint' last night and everything would just stop while someone made a speech about how special they were.
    The Orville has managed to make their cast relatable (even the bizarre alien members) and has brought out the histories of these characters without making a big deal out of it.

I do like the humor but it is different as expected- more character driven and integrated into the story instead of having the story exist for one-liners. Since Hulu truncates available shows for streaming I went ahead and got season one for my library- going to binge watch it this weekend :)

Riceball likes this.