The Official Star Wars Question Thread

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok something dumb popped into my head today. Where do the Prequel era Jedi get their clothes? Do they Jedi employ people to make their clothing, do they have other Jedi making clothes, or do they buy them externally? Supposedly they wear robes like what common people wear, so maybe these are normal clothes that others already make?

At the end of R1, as the rebels flee into hyperspace, the Devastator suddenly arrives and promptly ends the remaining ships escape. Given what TLJ showed us about ships kamakizing through ships, is it safe to say the Devastator was seconds away from being destroyed if a few rebels had just punched it? Or perhaps this idea hadn't been thought of during R1?

Ok something dumb popped into my head today. Where do the Prequel era Jedi get their clothes? Do they Jedi employ people to make their clothing, do they have other Jedi making clothes, or do they buy them externally? Supposedly they wear robes like what common people wear, so maybe these are normal clothes that others already make?

I don’t know if your being sarcastic or not lol but I going to post what I know so far

So I forgot the name of the trails, but the padawans face off against one another in a dueling competition

This is where Jedi knights and masters watched and if they like or see potential in a certain padawan they can ask the council for permission to train them

The left over padawans who are not picked are enlisted in other programs for the republic

Some study to be navigators on ships. Some become cooks in the Jedi temple (if my memory serves me right even though they weren’t picked by a Jedi they stay in the temple the rest of their life’s) some become janitors of the temple, or even librarians

This is all the now canon explanations, though they didn’t go into detail about rejected padawans making clothes, if they have gone into details about them cleaning hall ways, and making food for the temple cafeteria. I imagine there are some trained in textiles

Last edited:
Yeah I remember one of the Prequel era novels saying that Jedi who aren't picked as Padawans get sent to the Agricultural Corps. So I guess some of them could be Force assisted tailors.

Another cool note, the Jedi aren’t allowed to have any possessions except their lightsaber and their tunic/robes

That’s why in the prequels they are always so clean. MINUS qui gon jinn, he didn’t fallow any rules! Lol

Most likely made and maintained by droids and droid looms. Boring answer, I know, but that tech goes all the way back to at least Han Solo's Revenge in the early '80s. Not gonna get into George being wrong about the "Jedi uniform...

At the end of R1, as the rebels flee into hyperspace, the Devastator suddenly arrives and promptly ends the remaining ships escape. Given what TLJ showed us about ships kamakizing through ships, is it safe to say the Devastator was seconds away from being destroyed if a few rebels had just punched it? Or perhaps this idea hadn't been thought of during R1?

Fighters up to frigates don't mass enough or have strong enough shields. The only Rebel ship there that would have been able to seriously damage the Devastator to the extent the Raddus did the Supremacy would have been the Profundity, but it was disabled before it could, even if Raddus had wanted to.

Ever notice how the Jedi robes are supposed to simple affairs to show their humbleness and humility. Yet they are big and complicated with multiple layers, wide sleeves and pleats. And heck Anakin wears leather! Very distinctive, and noticable and it stands out. I'm getting mixed signals here.

Ever notice how the Jedi robes are supposed to simple affairs to show their humbleness and humility. Yet they are big and complicated with multiple layers, wide sleeves and pleats. And heck Anakin wears leather! Very distinctive, and noticable and it stands out. I'm getting mixed signals here.

It's just one more example of George forgetting his own lore along the way. Even within the making of ROTJ. Luke's costume was designed to be similar in simplicity to his costume in ANH, but -- in George's words during Mark's test-fitting -- the black was "more Jedi-like".

So when Sebastian Shaw got his Ghost Anakin bit filmed, I scratch my head. He and Alec were substantially differently-sized people, so they didn't just throw Obi-Wan's costume on him. The outer robe, maybe, but even then, that got a dye dip to darken it a bit. The inner robe and sash were newly made, with none of the dirt or weathering Obi-Wan's had. And the shirt had details Obi-Wan's didn't. So that was a deliberate choice made during production and after Luke's costume had been designed. No satisfactory explanation.

Then, later, in pre-production for Phantom Menace, Iain McCaig 's concept art for Obi-Wan (back when it was just going to be him, and Qui-Gon hadn't been created yet) showed him similarly in black and dark gray. But George nixed it in favor of the Tatooine homesteader garb we're familiar with from ANH when Obi-Wan was in hiding.

I stick with the darker palette in my Jedi costume work, though. It makes more sense, in context. Black foundation layers, dark grey tussah sleeveless kimono and sash, dark brown cloak. The whole thing with nominal color schemes for monastic or knightly orders is a certain semi-uniformity to aid visual identification. Trappists can't be mistaken for Franciscans can't be confused for Benedictine is clearly different from Buddhist, etc. If Luke was dressing a particular way to add credence to his claim to be a Jedi Knight to Jabba, that has more weight for me than the Old Ben outfit.

It's just one more example of George forgetting his own lore along the way. Even within the making of ROTJ. Luke's costume was designed to be similar in simplicity to his costume in ANH, but -- in George's words during Mark's test-fitting -- the black was "more Jedi-like".

So when Sebastian Shaw got his Ghost Anakin bit filmed, I scratch my head. He and Alec were substantially differently-sized people, so they didn't just throw Obi-Wan's costume on him. The outer robe, maybe, but even then, that got a dye dip to darken it a bit. The inner robe and sash were newly made, with none of the dirt or weathering Obi-Wan's had. And the shirt had details Obi-Wan's didn't. So that was a deliberate choice made during production and after Luke's costume had been designed. No satisfactory explanation.

Then, later, in pre-production for Phantom Menace, Iain McCaig 's concept art for Obi-Wan (back when it was just going to be him, and Qui-Gon hadn't been created yet) showed him similarly in black and dark gray. But George nixed it in favor of the Tatooine homesteader garb we're familiar with from ANH when Obi-Wan was in hiding.

I stick with the darker palette in my Jedi costume work, though. It makes more sense, in context. Black foundation layers, dark grey tussah sleeveless kimono and sash, dark brown cloak. The whole thing with nominal color schemes for monastic or knightly orders is a certain semi-uniformity to aid visual identification. Trappists can't be mistaken for Franciscans can't be confused for Benedictine is clearly different from Buddhist, etc. If Luke was dressing a particular way to add credence to his claim to be a Jedi Knight to Jabba, that has more weight for me than the Old Ben outfit.

I do believe the costume choice for the Jedi in the prequels was very intentional. It was meant, I believe, to show how they Jedi had kinda lost their spirituality, so to speak.

For Luke, his costume was meant to show him on a path towards the Dark Side. There's some cool concept art from ROTJ floating around somewhere. That shows some sort of padding or stitching on his shoulders, that looks suspiciously like Vader's armor.

Is this that peice of Obi-Wan concept art you were talking about?
latest?cb=20090612044612.jpg

EDIT here's that Luke ROTJ concept

8d90f177fce4bb50ed172ce48c4a3dfc.jpg

Last edited:
In small part. Went back and checked. I'd forgotten how much Doug Chiang had done with Obi-Wan and early storyboards. But between the two of them...

tumblr_owvwe09fbf1v3o2r3o1_400.jpg

46602566422_94d05b3460_b.jpg

31713584817_8073ae89e3_b.jpg

31713584857_80b0180c5a_b.jpg

39690020183_6f06c71829_b.jpg

46602566292_a548db88aa_c.jpg

39690019593_09ce0eb207_h.jpg

31713584627_8094a531fd_b.jpg

Overall trend being blacks and grays. They, and I, were going from what George said during Mark's fitting session:

I need to re-delve into Rinzler's making-of book to see what other contemporaneous commentary there was on Luke's costume design, but all the "representing him skirting the Dark Side" stuff I've run across has been after-the-fact, not from the time of production, and I'll go with the horse's-mouth statement from George there in '82 over what anyone else says later -- including George.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much Luke's ROTJ outfit was supposed to be a "Jedi outfit" vs. just showing Luke as a parallel to Vader.
I just said... :confused: Did you even watch the few seconds of that documentary I pointed to? The exact words "...but the black is more Jedi like" coming out of George's mouth? Regardless of what other interpretations he or others applied after that point, however he himself might have changed his mind before the end of the production, at that point, in George's head, black outfit = Jedi.

In small part. Went back and checked. I'd forgotten how much Doug Chiang had done with Obi-Wan and early storyboards. But between the two of them...

View attachment 974181
View attachment 974182
View attachment 974183
View attachment 974184
View attachment 974185
View attachment 974186
View attachment 974187
View attachment 974188

Overall trend being blacks and grays. They, and I, were going from what George said during Mark's fitting session (ETA: time index 9:50 -- Art Andrews, one seems to not be able to embed video set to a specific time index any more...):

I need to re-delve into Rinzler's making-of book to see what other contemporaneous commentary there was on Luke's costume design, but all the "representing him skirting the Dark Side" stuff I've run across has been after-the-fact, not from the time of production, and I'll go with the horse's-mouth statement from George there in '82 over what anyone else says later -- including George.

Oh that's so cool. I love concept art! Obi-Wan has such a high fantasy look about him. Like he'd fit right in with Jackson's LOTR films.

Going back to Luke in black. Mark had a disagreement with George with how Luke was being written. And as I understand it, it started when Mark was having his costume fit. Mark noticed that he was wearing black, and had a glove, and a dark cloak. So he asked George what was up. And apparently George told him, that it was meant to show that Luke was struggling with the Dark Side.

Now I don't think there's a hard and fast rule that says 'black/dark clothes = bad or evil'.(Augustinian monks wear black habits, they're not evil, and we know that Jedi garb was partially inspired by monks habits) We see plenty of Jedi wearing dark shades of brown and gray. And Barris Offee wears black (though she might be a bad example considering she bombed the Jedi temple and framed Ahsoka).

But with that said, symbolism is a big thing in Star Wars. So when we see Luke's clothing go from light colors, to mid tones, to black. And those colors follow his arc through the story. I'd be inclined to think that there's something else going on. Plus we see similar things with Anakin and Rey.

I just said... :confused: Did you even watch the few seconds of that documentary I pointed to? The exact words "...but the black is more Jedi like" coming out of George's mouth? Regardless of what other interpretations he or others applied after that point, however he himself might have changed his mind before the end of the production, at that point, in George's head, black outfit = Jedi.

I don't think thats what George said though. He says it's similar to the one Mark wore in the first film, (which it isn't) He then says, "it's just a black version, that's a little more Jedi like". Granted I'm listening to this on my phone, so I might not be hearing correctly. But I believe George is referring to the additions of the tabard and obi. Something that had only been worn by Alec Guinness up to that point.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back