The Official Boycott Star Wars Bluray thread

I understand that a lot of people become irate when changes to something they hold dear are made. Really though it depends how you view it all. I'm not sure the level of initial interest in the original films could possibly have been maintained without further input. Would forums of this nature and magnitude even exist 30 years after the last original cinematic release? Sure, certain films enjoy a loyal, cult following but it is the re-invention of audience that keeps Star Wars alive and kicking. Whilst I don't agree with everything GL does, I also relish the fact that I don't have explain to kids what SW is. Not only do they know it, but they are massive fans as well. I am just glad that there are still kids out there experiencing what I felt back in the day. Are these releases for the die hards? No. Does the slow progression keep the trilogy current and topical for further generations to enjoy without feeling they're watching a silent black and white. Yes. Let others enjoy what we did......

What GL has done, which many (most?) would disagree with is

I know Lucas has made quite a few changes that most dont like, but he has made some very good changes as well. I love the way Bespin looks.

I do wish the original versions were on Blu-ray too, but at least they are on DVD.

You dont have to love one and despise the other. Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Its OK to like it all.

I can't help but to agree with this...

I understand that a lot of people become irate when changes to something they hold dear are made. Really though it depends how you view it all. I'm not sure the level of initial interest in the original films could possibly have been maintained without further input. Would forums of this nature and magnitude even exist 30 years after the last original cinematic release? Sure, certain films enjoy a loyal, cult following but it is the re-invention of audience that keeps Star Wars alive and kicking. Whilst I don't agree with everything GL does, I also relish the fact that I don't have explain to kids what SW is. Not only do they know it, but they are massive fans as well. I am just glad that there are still kids out there experiencing what I felt back in the day. Are these releases for the die hards? No. Does the slow progression keep the trilogy current and topical for further generations to enjoy without feeling they're watching a silent black and white. Yes. Let others enjoy what we did......

What GL has done, which many (most?) would disagree with is

It's nice to not have to pay at all to watch some of the extras. I got to watch a whole bunch of the deleted scenes from the OT on YouTube. Some were pretty good, some so so, but it was really cool to newly released footage from my favorite trilogy! I just no longer feel the need to own all those missing pieces.

Just felt like making a little cartoon this morning about all this. :lol

george_jj_1.jpg

I know this is in the funny pic thread, but somehow it seems somewhat appropiate for it to be here as well.
H2IZt.jpg

I'm not thrilled with the changes he has made, but I still love the saga and will always be greatful for what GL has given us.

just got the blu ray for my birthday last night, to anyone who likes the blu rays what are some of the things you cant miss on the discs? new scenes or cgi effects?

While I understand the sentiment here, I completely disagree. A classic is a classic based upon its own merits. It need not be updated to keep it current for each succeeding generation. That's what makes it classic. That's why, thankfully, we've been spared digital flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz, or Winkey Guards adept at martial arts that defend the Wicked Witch's castle in a Matrix Style fight sequence. The technology exists to do that. But, mercifully, people know that that would not only be stupid beyond the capacity of known measurement, but it would also be sacrilege and flat-out criminal.

Classics are re-discovered by succeeding generations by virtue of the their very nature. Why do people keep discovering The Beatles? Their catalog hasn't been re-recorded with a more hip-hop (John, Paul, George, Ringo, and God forgive me) sensibility to appeal to the current generation. No need to. It's classic. Same applies to Star Wars.

Lucas can dump on Star Wars all he wants. BUT...while doing so he has an obligation, yes obligatoin, to preserve the originals and to make them available to the fans who embraced them and gave rise to the financial empire that he now squats upon.

All the deleted scenes seem to be showing up on YouTube. Glad I wont have to pickup the box set just for those. :)

Yeah all that "I'll catch it on youtube" stuff.... Can't say that stuff looks as nice as actually having the Blu-Ray. The bonus stuff alone is worth the price I think. There's an overwhelming amount of stuff to be seen on these discs, especially the models and props as others have echoed.

Despite the changes I cringe at, the films are definitely the cleanest I've ever seen them.

Something weird about Episode III though in that because it looks so tack sharp it almost looks like a Clone Wars episode in HD! My Wife walked in during a space sequence and asked, "Which one is this?" I said it was Episode III and she said, "It looks all CG-looking and not film-like." There definitely was a look of extreme sharp and detailed imagery. Definitely a sharpness like Avatar, but almost movements as if it wasn't 24p, but more almost 120hz-ish looking, which those store demos drive me nuts and never use on my own Plasma set. Maybe it's just the transition going from ANH to curiosity of Episode III and adjusting to the look of that. ROTS is definitely amazingly crisp detail.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back