The Legend of Zelda Series

Since we're listing favorites of the series, here are mine in no particular order:

Legend of Zelda - I think it really captures that "venturing into the unknown" vibe that a lot games try to emulate to this day.
OoT - The perennial video game fairytale
MM - The most emotionally complex and interesting sequel of any of the games.

that's my problem with these games, to fully enjoy them, you need a guide. to not waste time f iguring out where to go, you need a guide. and even then the 3D world can be confusing and you mess up.

I've only played through all the zelda games once. they are not pickup and playable except the first two.

i have to politely disagree. i accomplished almost everything in ocarina of time with out the guide. i got all the skulltula's with out the guide, and i believe the reason i bought the players guide was because i was missing the last 9 pieces which are almost impossible to figure out.

majoras mask on the other hand... practically impossible with out some kind of guidance

but i think thats the fun in the N64 games, theres so many possibilities, so many different reactions from different characters at different times

OH! while i am on the subject of ocarina of time, i could NEVER find the sinking lure!! countless hours of searching every square inch in that damn pond... then years later ( i played ocarina of time none stop over and over and over) my little brother was randomly fishing with me and he found it!!!

i just did a youtube search, the videos that came up for the sinking lure dont ring a bell at all... i remember it being in the pond itself next to the 2 big logs... hmmm

Zelda is a huge part of my life, and Ocarina of Time basically raised me as a 10 year old going through a time of divorcing parents. I can sit down and replay OOT and MM any day of the week, they both mean that much to me. That said, I was FRUSTRATED with Skyward Sword after having played it to completion when it launched and really was left looking for something fresh in the future of the series.

This new trailer indicates to me that Nintendo has taken those steps to really change the dynamic of the series, and I'm overly emotional but it makes me cry every time I watch it.
Link has always been a character of his own to me, not an avatar, and so I'm glad to finally see that characterization come through strongly, and for them to loosen up the trademarks of the series and let his gear be customizable and not slavishly tied to the history of the franchise with the green tunic and hat. I am beyond excited for this game now, and I will be grabbing it day 1.

I have Skyward Sword, but I didnt get past the tutorial because I got bored and irritated that it was taking so long, so only about 20 mins it. If I may ask, what about the game frustrated you. Thats the only zelda for the main consoles that I never got through. I never had a hand held like the 3DS or game boys so I only played the console ones.

OH! while i am on the subject of ocarina of time, i could NEVER find the sinking lure!! countless hours of searching every square inch in that damn pond... then years later ( i played ocarina of time none stop over and over and over) my little brother was randomly fishing with me and he found it!!!

i just did a youtube search, the videos that came up for the sinking lure dont ring a bell at all... i remember it being in the pond itself next to the 2 big logs... hmmm

I only got it in OoT3D, and it was by the wall. It might've been moved, which is why you're remembering differently, that the videos are all OoT3D.

Speaking of OoT3D, it just feels so much better than OoT64. The gyroscope controls are so nice. Also, I prefer my Zelda games to be portable.

I only got it in OoT3D, and it was by the wall. It might've been moved, which is why you're remembering differently, that the videos are all OoT3D.

Speaking of OoT3D, it just feels so much better than OoT64. The gyroscope controls are so nice. Also, I prefer my Zelda games to be portable.

I agree, at first I thought it was because of the smaller screens. but now you saying this is makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talk with a guy who is into retro gaming like me and we were talking about keeping the packaging for special editions and he said that unless it's Zelda, Nintendo or something like a limited 500 item run the value won't hold or go up like a Zelda game. I paid a mint for my 2 variations on the Link to the past and one still isn't complete as it's missing the map.

I have my two gold cartridges (Zelda and Link) on a wall in a shadow box. Just looks cool.

I think I'm gonna play them all through again... this thread has me getting the itch. I know I can do the first in 3 hours 45 minutes (that's getting EVERYTHING) but the others... eesh.

That first I've played through so many times I know where every tiny thing is.... when I was a kid and really into "The Last Crusade" my friends and I drew up a Diary of everything. Strangely it all stuck. I can't remember my dog's name, but I know what's under ever burned bush.

I won't get into side games like the DS and such...

I just realized that as excited as I am for this new game... I still haven't played the last two!

I wish I could find the gold carts without the gold warn off them. Apparently they also made them in your normal gray carts too but I haven't seen them anywhere. I got the "not for resale" collection for the game cube. Zelda games seem to hold their value, finding a complete original or zelda 2 in the box will set you back a good chunk. They aren't even that rare, it's nobody kept the manuals and boxes.

...I think I'm gonna play them all through again... this thread has me getting the itch. I know I can do the first in 3 hours 45 minutes (that's getting EVERYTHING) but the others... eesh.

That first I've played through so many times I know where every tiny thing is.... when I was a kid and really into "The Last Crusade" my friends and I drew up a Diary of everything. Strangely it all stuck. I can't remember my dog's name, but I know what's under ever burned bush...

I've got that same itch! Gonna replay the first tonight and work my way through the ones after that except OoT and MM (just played them recently). The one after them I neither have the resources/hardware to play, unfortunately.

Also unfortunate, I've never been able to get everything in the first game; I typically just stuck it out with the sword and shield. Never beat it in 3 hours though and that's minus collecting everything.:p

What's wild is some of the speed runs folks do, they've found ways to glitch the games and finish in a few hours. I think there's one in Ocarina that lets you teleport to the end or something and cuts the time way down. Heck I can't even beat Metroid games in the time to get good endings lol. Remember when games rewarded that: Samus' identity, good items in Resident Evil 1 and 2 for under 3 hours.

What's wild is some of the speed runs folks do, they've found ways to glitch the games and finish in a few hours. I think there's one in Ocarina that lets you teleport to the end or something and cuts the time way down.

A few hours? For a 100% run, maybe. The current Any% record is 17 minutes and 42 seconds. You can glitch from the Gohma fight straight to the final battle (I've seen it done, can't do it myself).

I have Skyward Sword, but I didnt get past the tutorial because I got bored and irritated that it was taking so long, so only about 20 mins it. If I may ask, what about the game frustrated you. Thats the only zelda for the main consoles that I never got through. I never had a hand held like the 3DS or game boys so I only played the console ones.

it basically never stops tutoring you on what to do, the companion is a pretty big nag, the controls are frustrating at times (poorly calibrated etc.) and are just gimmicky in hindsight, easily could have been replaced with traditional button. There is no real overworld, and you can't travel between the various lands without first returning to a central hub and basically fast traveling from there. There is a ton of back tracking, and basically you retread the same 3-4 lands multiple times, and literally fight one boss 3+ times.

The story has some iffy beats for me, but the highlight is the actual characterization of Link and Zelda. They have some of the most personality, maybe only challenged by Windwaker, and the game really pushed Link even farther from being an avatar and into an actual character (which I approve of). Overall I would sit down and replay it if I wasn't forced to use motion plus, but that is one hurdle that really stops me every time I go for a replay.

it basically never stops tutoring you on what to do, the companion is a pretty big nag, the controls are frustrating at times (poorly calibrated etc.) and are just gimmicky in hindsight, easily could have been replaced with traditional button. There is no real overworld, and you can't travel between the various lands without first returning to a central hub and basically fast traveling from there. There is a ton of back tracking, and basically you retread the same 3-4 lands multiple times, and literally fight one boss 3+ times.

The story has some iffy beats for me, but the highlight is the actual characterization of Link and Zelda. They have some of the most personality, maybe only challenged by Windwaker, and the game really pushed Link even farther from being an avatar and into an actual character (which I approve of). Overall I would sit down and replay it if I wasn't forced to use motion plus, but that is one hurdle that really stops me every time I go for a replay.
Cool, thank you for your analysis. The thing that bothers me is nintendo doesnt realize who is buying these games. Make a kid glove mode already...

Nintendo's been a mess ever since the president who watched over it in the 80s and 90s retired. I don't care what anyone says but their last president who died didn't do much to save the company. They're making more off the virtual console sales of 30 year old games than new ones.

...They're making more off the virtual console sales of 30 year old games than new ones.

As they should! Many of those are considered classics for good reason. All the stuff they make now, I highly doubt will last 30 years on as well as the games that came out before them.

Nintendo's been a mess ever since the president who watched over it in the 80s and 90s retired. I don't care what anyone says but their last president who died didn't do much to save the company. They're making more off the virtual console sales of 30 year old games than new ones.

because older games are simpler, easier to pick up, and just plain fun.

honestly, the only fun i've had in a newer video game that matched the old classics was the angry video game nerd game of all things..

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back