The Last of Us HBO Joel Thread

I know that in those photos of the flashlight, the flashlight is on. Is there any way to coat the reflector in the Maglite to get it more amberish? Anyone have suggestions? The incandescent bulb makes it that way, but….., I feel like it would be better to coat the reflector rather than replace the main lens, or am I wrong? Maybe stain the lens?

Also, does anyone have a rechargeable battery solution for the incandescent 10” Maglite?

Last edited:
I'm curious...for those interested in building an accurate version of his Fjallglim shirt, if I were to buy an extra XXXL shirt to harvest extra fabric from, would there be any takers for the remaining fabric? Once I have my tailor make the adjustments to my primary shirt and build the second pocket, I'm happy to chop the other one up appropriately.View attachment 1669256

So it’s totally up to you how accurate you want to go but you need more than a second pocket. The entire front left has to be redone, you can see in the picture it has a welt zipper pocket that isn’t there on the one in the show.

So you’d have to have the tailor redo that side and then add a pocket to each side.

So it’s totally up to you how accurate you want to go but you need more than a second pocket. The entire front left has to be redone, you can see in the picture it has a welt zipper pocket that isn’t there on the one in the show.

So you’d have to have the tailor redo that side and then add a pocket to each side.
That's a good point. Well...I'll likely be using half of the back of the 3XL to make a new left front on my other one then, as well as the right breast pocket.

Moving on to Joel's undershirt. It looks like Champion/Todd Snyder to me. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Attachments

• Joel Miller Crewneck.png
    Joel Miller Crewneck.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 276
  • Joel Miller Crewneck 3.png
    Joel Miller Crewneck 3.png
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Joel Miller Crewneck 2.png
    Joel Miller Crewneck 2.png
    973.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Joel Miller Crewneck 4.png
    Joel Miller Crewneck 4.png
    512.2 KB · Views: 211

Attachments

• 81iTCUa0d8L._AC_UY741_.jpg
    81iTCUa0d8L._AC_UY741_.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Joel Miller Crewneck 3.png
    Joel Miller Crewneck 3.png
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Joel Miller Crewneck.png
    Joel Miller Crewneck.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
Moving on to Joel's undershirt. It looks like Champion/Todd Snyder to me. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Looks to be spot on - though they run about $98 USD ($144 AUD).

There's a similar looking Tri-Blend that Hanes have (Minus the pocket) which is less than $20 USD ($28 AUD) if you wanted a light weight option - Would just need a bit of dye to darken it:
Screenshot 2023-02-13 171356.png

I actually don't mind the olive version they sell:
Screenshot 2023-02-13 171501.png

I would get that Hanes one, make a bucket of coffee, dip it in and soak it for a few hours, wash + dry the shirt, and then fray the collar and cuffs any way you want to get the right look.

Which is what I’d do to the champion shirt too but frankly for $100 I don’t think I’d want to

That's a good point. Well...I'll likely be using half of the back of the 3XL to make a new left front on my other one then, as well as the right breast pocket.

No one said anything but I will take any fabric left over. I have been trying to draw up the pattern for spoonflower but it’s fairly complex and I can’t nail the colors.

If you could spare fabric I’d love to use it to make an alternative available for everyone. Actually having it in hand would be amazing for color and scale

Will Joel be sporting his Fall costume from the game? The redish plaid shirt? Haven't been able to determine from the trailers yet for episode 6.

I know that in those photos of the flashlight, the flashlight is on. Is there any way to coat the reflector in the Maglite to get it more amberish? Anyone have suggestions? The incandescent bulb makes it that way, but….., I feel like it would be better to coat the reflector rather than replace the main lens, or am I wrong? Maybe stain the lens?

Also, does anyone have a rechargeable battery solution for the incandescent 10” Maglite?
Maglite make an amber lens replacement, however based on availability and searching around, they may only be available as NOS:

MAGLITE D & C Lens - Amber. 108-000-079
108-000-079.jpg

Perhaps too amber, however I managed to find a supplier here in Australia that had one left in stock, so we'll see how it looks when it arrives.

I ordered this:
Shipping was more than the actual lens itself.
That's the one I found too, but still need to order. Got a good deal on a 2 D cell maglite and a military style flashlight for the clip. I think I'll try tape + JB weld to attach it instead of drilling holes, but it also depends what's going on in that part of the light.

That's the one I found too, but still need to order. Got a good deal on a 2 D cell maglite and a military style flashlight for the clip. I think I'll try tape + JB weld to attach it instead of drilling holes, but it also depends what's going on in that part of the light.
From what I can gather from dissecting one, the electrical housing and switch is in this part of the light. Might be best for the JB weld and gaff tape. Might have to get a little abrasive on both metals before adding just so it's a really good bond.

Any ideas on what the white tape is? (or like it's purpose for Joel?).

20230214_204846.jpg

20230214_205138.jpg

The holes would be above the switch with the military flashlight's clip. The switch is right below that the bottom of this chamber. The reflector has a tube that shouldn't extend beyond the brass piece seen above that adjust the bulb height. There is a 1/2 inch distance between the wall of the flashlight and the brass adjuster. I have a military flashlight on the way, and I should be able to attempt drilling (very very carefully!) this weekend. I am planning to drill through and use pop rivets.

I took a few measurements. From the edge, the chamber is 1.625" deep and the distance from the edge to where the holes should be is 1.3125". That is 5/16" to spare (roughly). It should work.

From what I can gather from dissecting one, the electrical housing and switch is in this part of the light. Might be best for the JB weld and gaff tape. Might have to get a little abrasive on both metals before adding just so it's a really good bond.

It resembles a white medical tape, seems like cloth to me, I doubt it's masking tape. As for function, I can't think of anything, it doesn't provide any extra grip or anything structural.

As for drilling holes vs. an adhesive, I'm leaning towards an adhesive because I also don't want to make mine any less water resistant. Screws or rivets would be stronger, but mine's unlikely to see much hard real world use, I think I'll be fine with the adhesive and tape.

I'm guessing it's something similar to Scapa cloth tape or hockey tape.

It definitely helps with grip, and it looks great when wrapped around tool, or weapon, handles etc. to help create that post-apocalyptic look.

I recently bought a roll of it for cheap on ebay, to do just that.

Scapa-Cloth-Tape.jpg

Not my pic, but just an example...

Cloth-Taped-Glock.jpg

I know that the costume designer confirmed Joel's jeans were Levi's 505's. Are we thinking that they are a "Dark Wash" version? They look like a deeper blue, that's then been weathered.

Attachments

• m_6080d303ff7c5a3ac686f7e2.jpg
    m_6080d303ff7c5a3ac686f7e2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 205
  • joel-dusty-daddy-miller-v0-ly0l7n0hlmca1.jpg
    joel-dusty-daddy-miller-v0-ly0l7n0hlmca1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Joel Episode 5 Backpack.png
    Joel Episode 5 Backpack.png
    1 MB · Views: 215

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back