The Last of Us HBO Joel Thread

The costume designer just posted this on her story, look at the tags. For those not beliving it's not an altered Fjallraven shirt.
IMG_8324.jpg

I'll chime in on the shirt a little. The pattern of the plaid looks way too close for it not to be a Fjallraven. My main concern, beyond the pocket is the material. In a few shots in the episode, it looks like it is flannel. As mentioned above, the material for the Fjallglim is listed as 100% polyester flannel. Flannel can be synthetic, but is usually cotton, wool, or a blend (at least in my experience). The material in the show looks more cotton than a synthetic as it looks soft and slightly fuzzy, i.e. flannel.

My guess, Fjallraven had a flannel shirt in that pattern that they discontinued. If so, it might be found on sale somewhere. The other option is it was either specially made for the show or fabric with that pattern was sold to the production by Fjallraven. If it is either of those options, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer it as a flannel sometime soon.

Fjallraven makes high quality shirts, even their synthetic flannel looks like cotton flannel especially after light distressing. Trying to get composition based on how something looks on screen isn’t something I’d recommend.

I really do think they just cut up a bunch of them and remade the front. The suit jacket David Tennant wore on Doctor Who was made from loads of trousers, it’s not unheard of.

Fingers crossed though Fjallraven just makes an accurate shirt

I guess I was going off "100% polyester" and the comment earlier of someone having it in hand and describing it as shiny.

The more I look at the pocket, the less I think they "just cut up a bunch of them". There are no visible seams on the front of the shirt, so the entire left side of the front of the shirt had to be tossed or cut up to make a new pocket. They might have been able to take the back and cut a little over half to make a new front side, as it does appear to go uninterrupted to the collar, but I can not tell for certain.

It appears quite shiny in the show as well, in certain shots.
1675584486179.jpeg

1675584499355.jpeg

On a sidenote, i've also noticed double stitching on the chest pocket. My guess is what others have already said, multiple shirts to make one shirt. I also suspect that the shirt has been shortened a bit, looking at where the last button is placed. Or just tailored overall.
1675584708501.jpeg

Last edited:
So I just got the Fjallraven shirt, and I’m convinced that this is it. I stand corrected. There’s no way it’s something else. They had to have made changes in their end. I did note that their sizing is a little big, which is weird because they told me to get a size larger. I normally wear a large, but got a medium.

Honestly don’t know if I’d feel comfortable cutting this thing up though. If you really want accuracy, I mean go for it. They have xxl online that you can get, and that’ll give you more than enough fabric to cut up to get accurate pockets etc.

Re-watched the episode. It does look like roughed up polyester in that last scene as they drive away. I'll just hold out hope that Fjallraven will release another shirt style with that pattern. Their Fjallslim shirt looks closer in pockets. The pockets on that one are larger, but bringing those in would be simple.

Re-watched the episode. It does look like roughed up polyester in that last scene as they drive away. I'll just hold out hope that Fjallraven will release another shirt style with that pattern. Their Fjallslim shirt looks closer in pockets. The pockets on that one are larger, but bringing those in would be simple.
I highly doubt they'll release another shirt with an altered pattern. My guess here is that they altered the stock fjallraven shirt largely to get rid of the embroidered logo on the chest pocket, the same way the gore tex logo was removed off of the elk tracker boots, and the wrangler logo off of the other denim shirt. There would have been no clean way to remove the fjallraven emblem otherwise, and it seems like there's a pattern here of the costume designer using real world, somewhat premade clothing items that can be modified, rather than making new stuff from scratch (my guess is it's budget driving it).

I think the real line that has to be drawn is how much 100% perfect accuracy matters to you. I like Joel's outfit for the same reason I like K's: it's a functional outfit that can be a fun nod to film/television without screaming costume piece when worn on the street. The fjallraven shirt just isn't nice enough quality for the asking price. At sale price, maybe, but there's nicer options in a similar vein. I certainly couldn't justify the cost of 2 shirts + alterations for a polyester piece that pills after a couple washes. At 30 odd bucks on eBay the Wrangler shirt was a much easier pill to swallow, at least for me. I'd sooner put the cost of the fjallraven towards the irish setter boots.

For the Fjallraven, having it in hands i don't think it'd be a difficult task to to "remake" the front left panel using the back from another shirt. The inside zipper pocket runs all the way to the armpit pretty much, My guess is that they used the leftover front panel from the extra shirt to make the pocket. For those considering one, remember that they run big. My medium measures 22 pit to pit. Large apparently measures 24 pit to pit. They're also pretty long, so i'm fairly cofident that it was shortened as i mentioned earlier. Pictured is my shirt along with an alternative Timex t49961since the watch in the show is custom.
AAA2A1DF-AA49-49FD-A1A1-AE026FCD9AD7.jpg

For the Fjallraven, having it in hands i don't think it'd be a difficult task to to "remake" the front left panel using the back from another shirt. The inside zipper pocket runs all the way to the armpit pretty much, My guess is that they used the leftover front panel from the extra shirt to make the pocket. For those considering one, remember that they run big. My medium measures 22 pit to pit. Large apparently measures 24 pit to pit. They're also pretty long, so i'm fairly cofident that it was shortened as i mentioned earlier. Pictured is my shirt along with an alternative Timex t49961since the watch in the show is custom. View attachment 1667150
Supposedly the game watch was based on a lum tec super combat b2 that's been out of production for about a decade or so. It's not an inexpensive item (at about 1000usd aftermarket), although meister made a cheaper imitation that retailed for 100 and now sells for 10 times that on ebay.

Personally I'm hoping to track down the lum tec, less for cosplay and just because I think it's an attractive watch, but we'll see how much luck I have. They were numbered out of 999, and seem to have all been snatched up.

I'm on the hunt to identify the backpack as well. I found some nice higher res pics of it, but I think the duct tape on the lower pockets have whatever branding that might have been, totally obscured.

the-last-of-us-episode-1-pedro-pascal.jpg

FRGNMYvUUAEqYt6?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I'm on the hunt to identify the backpack as well. I found some nice higher res pics of it, but I think the duct tape on the lower pockets have whatever branding that might have been, totally obscured.

View attachment 1667227

View attachment 1667228
From the official Instagram:
Screenshot_20230206_153240_Instagram.jpg

I've seen a lot of cheap chinese imitations on Amazon that have "vintage" in the title (but of course aren't), but I have to assume they're based on an actual vintage model. I'd like to find a similar model backpack for daily use. I mostly have doubts about the stitching quality of a bag that costs 50 bucks.

This one, for example, is very similar:
GEARONIC 21L Vintage Canvas Backpack Leather Rucksack Knapsack 15inch Laptop Tote Satchel School Shoulder Hiking Bag https://a.co/d/1PvLfzr

From the official Instagram:
View attachment 1667229

I've seen a lot of cheap chinese imitations on Amazon that have "vintage" in the title (but of course aren't), but I have to assume they're based on an actual vintage model. I'd like to find a similar model backpack for daily use. I mostly have doubts about the stitching quality of a bag that costs 50 bucks.

This one, for example, is very similar:
GEARONIC 21L Vintage Canvas Backpack Leather Rucksack Knapsack 15inch Laptop Tote Satchel School Shoulder Hiking Bag https://a.co/d/1PvLfzr
It's funny...I was just checking through the designer's IG posts and saw this same response. What I think is funny, however, is that earlier in that thread, she is asked what boots Joel wears and she totally references the incorrect model (Trailblazer) which looks nothing like the Elk Tracker.

It's funny...I was just checking through the designer's IG posts and saw this same response. What I think is funny, however, is that earlier in that thread, she is asked what boots Joel wears and she totally references the incorrect model (Trailblazer) which looks nothing like the Elk Tracker.
My guess (and again, im guessing, dont take anything I say as confirmed) is that if the backpack wasn't one of the cheap ones off Amazon it was close to it. The styling looks damned close, and again, it's a commonly knocked off design, meaning it was likely cheap enough to buy a few and modify them as needed. Her dyeing it makes me think it was unwaxed canvas (as opposed to the waxed canvas or leather options). As a costume piece it's fine, but I feel as if quality might be iffy (some reviews state as such) and PU leather for the straps means they'll deteriorate eventually. For a functional pack, you could modify the cheap one yourself, but by the time you add the cost of remaking the straps, you might as well get a nicer quality bag. Again, I'd love to see what the original design was that gearonic or any of these other companies knocked off.

So I’ve owned a gearonic bag before and liked it a lot, for $30 i got a lot of use out of it. It was based off of a Barbour messenger bag, so maybe there is or used to be a Barbour backpack matching the show.

If anything I’m tempted to draw up the shirt pattern and make it available on spoonflower, that way people could just order the fabric on cotton and have it made into a shirt with the accurate details.

So I’ve owned a gearonic bag before and liked it a lot, for $30 i got a lot of use out of it. It was based off of a Barbour messenger bag, so maybe there is or used to be a Barbour backpack matching the show.

If anything I’m tempted to draw up the shirt pattern and make it available on spoonflower, that way people could just order the fabric on cotton and have it made into a shirt with the accurate details.
Now *that* I'd be up for. I'm not the best tailor and would be nervous cutting up a $100+ shirt just for parts. I just would have trouble justifying it financially to myself.

And I wear flannel all of the time, and personally dislike when it is not 100% cotton. (But I know that's just my opinion)

Having the fabric handy would be awesome. I wonder if it's something Indy Magnoli would be interested in teeing up with to create a readily available shirt? I know pricing would be similar to Fjallraven, but having one with the correct pockets, length and material would all but make it worth it.

How certain are we on the boots being the elk tracker? Cynthia's Instagram is claiming they're the trailblazer, but none of the trailblazer models I've seen seem to quite match the stitching pattern, and it seems a lot of models were released under that name. The stitching pattern definitely looks more like the elk tracker.

Last edited:
Providing the following info dump for the watch. Short version is that it was custom-built for the show by someone specializing in WW2 props. It is more or less a costume piece. Meister has had rumblings on their instagram about re-releasing the game watch, which is about as close to the show watch as you'll get pre-built (similar face, no logos, etc.).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230207_160829_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230207_160829_Facebook.jpg
    837.6 KB · Views: 232
  • FB_IMG_1675804113186.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675804113186.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 240
  • FB_IMG_1675804115070.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675804115070.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 227
  • FB_IMG_1675804121097.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675804121097.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 176
  • Screenshot_20230207_160854_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230207_160854_Facebook.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_20230207_160908_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230207_160908_Facebook.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 186

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back