The Last of Us (HBO Max)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like standing in the middle of the street with a bolt action was asking to get shot.

Since it had a scope maybe firing from cover would have been better.

My wife takes her plants seriously. She commented that you should not water mums that way. I suggested maybe the somber conversation at hand had him distracted.

I am loving the weathering on Joel’s rifle.

I feel like standing in the middle of the street with a bolt action was asking to get shot.

Since it had a scope maybe firing from cover would have been better.
Ha, yeah that was extremely dumb. I couldn't suspend my disbelief that Mr. Prepper Supreme didn't have a sniper spot anywhere and chose to stand in the open with absolutely no cover instead.

Nick Offerman is a legend. [...] Outside of that, I was mostly bored and not moved by the episode. The looting scenes were so good. The traps were just fantastic.
I couldn't suspend my disbelief that Mr. Prepper Supreme didn't have a sniper spot anywhere and chose to stand in the open with absolutely no cover instead.

As much as the love story worked for me, they could've afforded to tighten it up 5 minutes and devote a little more attention to the action.

Bill & Frank's relationship spans 33 minutes (not including the Joel/Tess meet-up), whereas Bill's looting and traps got 4 minutes and the raid got 3.
Considering that both premises would easily justify entire episodes, a lot more depth could've been added with an extra couple of minutes on each.

Ha, yeah that was extremely dumb. I couldn't suspend my disbelief that Mr. Prepper Supreme didn't have a sniper spot anywhere and chose to stand in the open with absolutely no cover instead.
Of course it *was* the middle of the night, and I doubt very much that his scope was thermal or NVG, so i wonder if that was the only way to see the targets?

Yeah the "action" scene was poorly done, but the gun work on Offerman's behalf was not done properly at all. His teacup grip on the 1911 was pure hollywood. Standing in the middle of the road was just terrible. He never would have used a bolt action rifle in that scenario. He'd have a wall of AR-15's and AK's, all converted to full auto, and he'd have reloading stations, and shelves and shelves of rounds. He would ABSOLUTELY have several sniper stations as high up as possible. Hell he'd probably have rigged them up remotely with cameras on them so he could control them from the bunker. He'd have thermal too.

Frankly if he was able to hold that place securely for as long as he did, I think anybody who knew about it would just move in after he passed away. There would probably be enough canned food and emergency food to last a whole other lifetime.

Episode 3 had nothing to do with the game.

Frank hangs himself after getting bit in the game.

This was bait and switch grooming.

Tess gets beat up, she gets bit and dies buying Ellie and Joel more time, but her relationship just needs to be a comment.

Bill and Frank get a Romeo and Julio love story.

Social media EXPLODES !!!

Like that wasn't planned. Rrrrright!

People who defend this episode are using *any* angle to defend it. But seriously, it is based on a zombie horror game. Don't crap on Tess but then bend over backwards to manufacture a story/message.

Oh, and the girl who played Joel's daughter was a million ans seven times better than Ellie.

And yeah, the prepper in the middle of the street wearing a white shirt, no bunkers, no nest, no protection, defending from raiders shows the complete lack of attention to a credible story, but that's okay, he can survive belly shots.

It's perfectly fine if you didn't like the episode. But there's no need to go there.

The creators of the show siginificantly altered the story to go there.

I'm just pointing it out.

The endless social media propaganda is also overwhelmingly obvious.

It was unlike any other episode. And this is *after* the producers initially boasted how they would stick to the game story and clearly didn't.

How many times during an episode do you need a reminder of a couple's sexuality? Kissing, not enough. Linda Rondstat, not enough. Getting naked in bed, still not enough...

If this were Joel and Tess everyone (including me) would be commenting, "calm down," "get a room!" "Okay! We get it!"

Totally out of place in a series based on a zombie/horror game where these secondary characters didnt even die that way.
EDIT : Bill still alive and meets Ellie

Meanwhile, they just comment and Joel and Tess were an item. Tess dies a hero, no backstory.

I could go on, but I stated it pretty clearly.

Last edited:
Neil Druckmann who acknowledges that the game was limited on what stories it could tell because it had to revolve around game loops?

Game director Neil Druckmann had more practical concerns, specifically in the fundamental differences between telling the story through an interactive game and a TV series. "I think a lesser adaptation would have looked at that Bill sequence and we would have said, 'Oh, that part where Joel steps on the trap, and he's hanging upside down. That's a cool set piece, how do we make that set piece bigger?' But that works in the game because you're immersed in it: I'm building a relationship because I'm playing alongside Bill, and I'm relying on him — he just saved me, we save each other. In the show, that would be boring very quickly," he says.

"Here, we get to unplug from Joel and Ellie and go and see 'What was Bill's life was like when the outbreak happened? What was that relationship with Frank?' and expand on that in these really interesting, emotional ways that we couldn't do in the game. There, all the story has to be told around gameplay loops — the show doesn't have those constraints."

I like this show very much. I enjoy that it's investing in relationships and not hewing to the usual zombie show/movie tropes any more than absolutely necessary. I know that some feel that Tess was slighted because Bill and Frank got episode 3 to tell their entire story, but as seen in this episode, once Ellie is able to get Joel to open up, we'll learn more about her and their relationship.

Last edited:
Here's my tinfoil hat on episode 3. The game vesion was too expensive to have an entire action packed episode of the 3 of them fighting through the town, including the introduction of a new type of infected. This episode did however leave a an oppertunity open for them to cheese for awards.

Let's also not pretend the last of us game story was anything special. It was just a ripoff of movies like The Road with zombie sprinkles ontop.

Here's my tinfoil hat on episode 3. The game vesion was too expensive to have an entire action packed episode of the 3 of them fighting through the town, including the introduction of a new type of infected. This episode did however leave a an oppertunity open for them to cheese for awards.

Let's also not pretend the last of us game story was anything special. It was just a ripoff of movies like The Road with zombie sprinkles ontop.
So the prepper. The guy who long ago made arrangements to outlive everyone.
The guy who turns a church into an armory and catfights with Ellie, Mmmrrrooww! On the show he...

Kills himself.

So the prepper. The guy who long ago made arrangements to outlive everyone.
The guy who turns a church into an armory and catfights with Ellie, Mmmrrrooww! On the show he...

Kills himself.
and he left the window open...

The letter in the game was pretty brutal and much more fun.

and he left the window open...

The letter in the game was pretty brutal and much more fun.
And Frank's in game letter is the polar opposite of what the show presents.

"Still better than spending another day with you."
Hangs himself.

So much for accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back